Life Is Sweet

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
How come I didn't know about the Love Of Life mixtape from 95?  It ain't always pretty, but it is the jam.  Why didn't I know until now?  I blame you people. 

Random fact...me and actionjackson and metta just found out tonight we live 15 minutes away from each other...

More to come.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

FORUM FRIENDZ!!! The Great White North Pact edition

It's a good feeling to have a steady connection nearby. Looking good guys and gal!

We charge $4.99 for postive matches here at theChembase.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 03, 2019, 21:53

We charge $4.99 for postive matches here at theChembase.
Accepted payments:

• Visa
  • Mastercard
  • Beer
  • American Express
  • Paypal
  • Pics of Frank the Boss
  • Bitcoin
  • Google/Apple Pay
  • Skype Credits
  • Vinyl test pressing of Here Come The Drums
  • Paysafecard
no idea, no idea

I went to the penultimate day of Sweet Harmony exhibition at Saatchi Gallery today. There's a review of it in The Economist of all places. Or you can read my comments below.
I didn't see any references to The Chems, although for some reason a Thompson Twins poster (the band, not Tin Tin) made it onto the walls. As did some recent pics of the anti-Brexit march I went on back in the spring. Not sure why. 
Perhaps a bit like the Jeremy Deller video about Rave that I posted in "Movies/Shows..." recently (he's involved with this too), it tries to intellectualise things a bit more than feels comfortable for me, but there was some fun/playfulness here too.
Oh also I got to play with a Roland acid machine and a Roland drum machine! :)

At the start of the exhibition, an homage to the petrol stations where people's rave odyssey would often begin and end (on the M25):

Come Inside

A spinning upside down Lotus Elite. It had speakers in the back pumping out something by Mylo. I can't say what track, but it wasn't Shazamable. Slightly bizarre but it looked kinda cool.

I probably don't need to tell you that this is a wall of flyers.

"When did you last feel free". Apparently I was the only one pondering this particular question.

KLF vibes?

Ceci n'est pas un tableau
It's a photo of one. (Am I doing this right?)

I wish I'd googled "how to use an 808 and a 303" before I went to this. I was initialy excited at the thought of getting to even touch an 808 or 303, and then I realised...ohh they're the recent replica TR-08 and TB-03. Which would explain why they looked so new, and why we were allowed play with them. I didn't manage to do much with the 08 other than add a crash cymbal to an existing beat.

But then I got stuck into the 03. It seems there were some preset noises/grooves (the buttons along the bottom) although it didn't seem very easy to switch between them. And of course all those twiddly knobs along the top which made all those variations of the acid sound. Overdrive was my favourite. This was fun. And it made me think; shit, if I had owned one of these in '88 and plopped some random acid sounds over a beat I probaby could have put em out on vinyl like Phuture did (well, we can dream!)

Finally, there was the Rave or Play room. A sort of mini club within the exhibition with a DJ booth in the middle (underneath the lights/sculpture thing in the picture). They were playing acid-trance stuff. People were walking in and half heartedly trying to dance, but of course there was no booze or drugs, and it was 4 in the afternoon so it was slightly awkward...

They didn't go cheap with the soundsystem though: Funktion One. I remember hearing Skream DJ in 2007 as a support DJ (!) at a Von Sudenfed gig (yes Mark E Smith made a techno album), and being so impressed by the deep pure bass tones in Skream's dubstep set that i went out of my way to find out the name of the speakers:

Last day is tomorrow, so if any London based lurkers are reading this, you need to be quick. Oh there's also a closing party tomorrow but you have to buy those tickets seperately.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I FOUND WORK ;D
after months of luckless job hunting, my friend luke tipped me about the resort he worked at was hiring since employees have gone back to school. Showed up an hour ago and they hired me on the spot.

I start this wednesday at 8:00.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Guys, something is bothering me for last few days and I cannot stop thinking about it.
I've read in my teen years "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and I remember distinctly reading a version that had one verse written like this:

Water, water, evry'ere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, evry'ere,
Nor any drop to drink.

But now I cannot find that version anywhere. In fact, google tells me "evry'ere" is not even a word.
Did you guys ever came across "everywhere" written like that? Is it old, maybe Middle English word?
Was is print error? Google is of no help.

I know it's silly but it's driving me insane.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Here is my very un-educated crack at it.... evry'ere in the context provided, was purposely used to drop the emphasis on the "W" in everywhere. And since the two proceeding words have a strong "W" sound, the writer wanted to create or it was an existing portrayal of a more refined sounding dialect for this particular phrase.

Water, water, evry'ere

I picture saying "evry'ere" with minimal lip moment and your mouth full of marbles. Think Winston Churchill. "EVERY-AIR"

You hit the mark right there, methinks. I was thinking along the same lines.
It seems that some copy editor decided to change original to make it sound more dramatic.
I must admit, although it was not originally written like that, with that emphasis on W in "water" by dropping it in "every where" tension is much more pronounced.

I always assumed that poems such as this, and especially famous like that one must be transcribed as it was in original, barring some natural changes in written language as centuries goes by
(like "every where" to "everywhere") to make it more natural to modern reader.
I guess my assumption was wrong.

But it works here, and it works beautifully. Though I'm not sure I like the idea of some editor changing well-known works of art to suit their taste.
Samuel was no fool and understood impact and rhythm of words very well, even in his more "relaxed" states. I'm sure he would have done it like that if he felt it was needed.
Imagine "Raven" being messed with. *Shudders

This helped quite a bit, Bosco. Thank you.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

I just got a new Philips TV, 4k, Dolby vision, OLED and all that jazz, but most importantly, with Ambilight. For those of you not familiar, Ambilight TVs have a ring of LEDs behind the screen that light up to match what's on the screen, so the image looks like it's "bleeding" on the wall around the screen.
The result with a Chems concert is outstanding :

The best thing is you can pair Philips Hue lights so they're controlled by the TV and widens even more the effect. It's like having the actual light show from the concert in your living room 😁

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 07, 2019, 21:46

I just got a new Philips TV, 4k, Dolby vision, OLED and all that jazz, but most importantly, with Ambilight. For those of you not familiar, Ambilight TVs have a ring of LEDs behind the screen that light up to match what's on the screen, so the image looks like it's "bleeding" on the wall around the screen.
The result with a Chems concert is outstanding :

The best thing is you can pair Philips Hue lights so they're controlled by the TV and widens even more the effect. It's like having the actual light show from the concert in your living room 😁

Nice demo there Ben!

i'm gonna definitely keep this in mind near the holidays. I've been considering getting a tv since the beginning of this year but these days I watch all of my stuff on my phone. I have tons of blurays and dvds still in boxes and i really want to get back into my previous viewing habits of just sitting on the couch and crank up the sound system and watch a movie, concert, etc.

Maybe its because ive been kind of lazy getting things together or maybe its just im a little bit older and cant seem to make time for myself.....or so I thought.

around 7 years ago, I started this job where I was just getting beat down to a pulp. No elevation or promotion whatsoever. it was mentally sucking the life out of me. So i went back to school, touched up my resume, and now I just started a new job and im loving every second of it. Because  of this, im starting to get in the swing of things again, that includes being stress free and living the way I should be living.

California , unfortunately might get the boot in a year. Im planning to move maybe to Vegas and see if this will work for me. I blame Kershaw and the air quality for my reasons for today only. :))

You should see Ed's afro on his insta! Highlight of the day!  ;D

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Rage Against the Machine will be back with some select shows including 2020 Coachella.

Yesterday, I settled a case that I had been litigating for 3 years, 7 months, and 21 days.

It didn't settle for as much as we would have hoped for, but it was still a lot.

It will certainly turn this whole "start your own law firm" thing into a very, very profitable venture.

Now to see about Chemical Brothers shows for 2020...
Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 21:32 by MadPooter

Somehow i hope this will be Episode 3 or HL3, and at the same time i also hope it's not because my selfish me has no VR
no idea, no idea

My 11 year old couldn't beat me at some random game on the iPad.

Suddenly he said, in a gruff voice, "I'M MAD AS HECK! I AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT NO MORE!"

Silence, smiles, and laughter.

"Mommy was playing your music in the car today."
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 20, 2019, 15:32

My 11 year old couldn't beat me at some random game on the iPad.

Suddenly he said, in a gruff voice, "I'M MAD AS HECK! I AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT NO MORE!"

Silence, smiles, and laughter.

"Mommy was playing your music in the car today."
;D This is hilarious!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)