Music That Triggers Some Kind of Response

Grammy Nominations

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Dec 07, 2015, 14:21

Previous topic - Next topic
Well I'm not a huge fan of award ceremonies. I think they are sometimes fixed and reflect profits and/or plugging by record labels.
But from our point of view it's nice to see the Chems getting themselves back in the limelight.
https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/673869053207953409
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Can our American members tell us the difference between Song of the Year and Record of The Year?
The Nominees

If you can't be bothered to read the link or scroll through, these are the Chems two categories:

Best Dance Recording

We're All We Need
Above & Beyond Featuring Zoë Johnston
Andrew Bayer, Jono Grant, Tony McGuinness & Paavo Siljamäki, producers; Jono Grant, Tony McGuinness & Paavo Siljamäki, mixers
Label: Ultra/Anjunabeats

Go
The Chemical Brothers
Tom Rowlands & Ed Simons, producers; Steve Dub Jones & Tom Rowlands, mixers
Label: Astralwerks

Never Catch Me
Flying Lotus Featuring Kendrick Lamar
Steven Ellison, producer; Kevin Marques Moo, mixer
Track from: You're Dead!
Label: Warp Records

Runaway (U & I)
Galantis
Linus Eklöw, Christian Karlsson & Svidden, producers; Linus Eklöw, Niklas Flyckt & Christian Karlsson, mixers
Track from: Pharmacy
Label: Big Beat/Atlantic

Where Are Ü Now
Skrillex And Diplo With Justin Bieber
Sonny Moore & Thomas Pentz, producers; Sonny Moore & Thomas Pentz, mixers
Track from: Skrillex And Diplo Present Jack Ü
Label: Owsla/Mad Decent/Atlantic

Best Dance/Electronic Album

Our Love
Caribou
Label: Merge Records

Born In The Echoes
The Chemical Brothers
Label: Astralwerks

Caracal
Disclosure
Label: Capitol Records

In Colour
Jamie XX
Label: Young Turks Recordings

Skrillex And Diplo Present Jack Ü
Skrillex And Diplo
Label: Owsla/Mad Decent/Atlantic
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I think record of the year is more about the sum of its parts (song writing, performance, recording quality/mastering, impact) while song of the year focuses more on the song writing. I don't really know.
Never for money, always for love.

As much as I want the chems to win both, I think they'll take the song category,  but lose on the album category. Grammy politics I guess.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I'd like to see Jamie xx win best album and Go for best song

The Skrillex & Diplo album is the only one I don't have out of those five.
It's a tough call for me between Caribou, The Chems and Jamie XX.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

:music  Totally  happy   with  the  Jamie xx  album  being  in  the nominees  . . ' Hold  Tight '  ..  such  a  tune  ,  takes  your  head  to  a  different  place   :music 
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

I thought "You're Dead" came out last year?  The video for "Never Catch Me" is fucking beautiful.

I do like Go but I hate to say it, I can't help but think that got nominated cause of the success of Get Lucky from Daft Punk last year. I always thought that this was the chems answer to that when first heard when was chosen as the official single of return for the new album. But one could argue the chems have already done this rap anthem groove hits a lot earlier than Daft Punk anyways.

I hope Born in the Echoes wins but it is tough competition in that category. Jamie XX if not them I hope.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Dec 12, 2015, 12:51

I do like Go but I hate to say it, I can't help but think that got nominated cause of the success of Get Lucky from Daft Punk last year. I always thought that this was the chems answer to that when first heard when was chosen as the official single of return for the new album. But one could argue the chems have already done this rap anthem groove hits a lot earlier than Daft Punk anyways.

I hope Born in the Echoes wins but it is tough competition in that category. Jamie XX if not them I hope.
I have to disagree here. Go, in my opinion, is nothing remotely like Get Lucky. Neither the groove nor the rap thing is comparable to Get Lucky, there's no rap at all in GL. They're entirely distinct from one another, unless you count "catchiness" as the common ground. Go is much more aggressive and totally different in its energy. And I don't believe they even dwelled on GL to come up with somthing similar because it's just not. I doubt they'd waste their time with this kind of crap. They don't do pie-chart music, as Tom stated recently.

As for the nominations, I guess newcomers will win the race. It's tough for "established" acts to take the cake.
Last Edit: Dec 12, 2015, 14:27 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I should've clarified more.  I was talking about  the judges on the Grammy panels' way of thinking with potentially there limited knowledge of the whole electronic music scene and history and and maybe the latest record company they are with as to how they decided to promote the new album with Go to begin with not necessarily that T&E had that in mind when creating it from the get go. (How do you think all this horrible EDM laptop "pie chart" crap got popular in the first place.) I can only imagine the frustration with bands like the chems with this.

As far as I could see the album didn't even make the top 50 pitchfork even it got a half decent rating from them initially. Was expecting too much from that anyway.
Last Edit: Dec 16, 2015, 10:30 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Dec 16, 2015, 10:25

As far as I could see the album didn't even make the top 50 pitchfork even it got a half decent rating from them initially. Was expecting too much from that anyway.

Pitchfork might not be the absolute reference, but if the Grammies follow their trend, then no doubt Jamie xx will win best album. When are the Grammies by the way ?

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

live replacement for original Chems member Ed Simons, who no longer tours with the group

what?
no idea, no idea

It is tonight ! Who's gonna watch ? As much as I'd love to see Tom & Ed win, I'll put a penny on Jamie XX for best album.

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 14, 2016, 18:01

It is tonight ! Who's gonna watch ? As much as I'd love to see Tom & Ed win, I'll put a penny on Jamie XX for best album.
Isn't it tommorrow night?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

(for Europeans and others it's actually on Tuesday :) )

Broadcast:
5 p.m. (PST)
7 p.m. (CST)
8 p.m. (EST)

more time zones:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20160215T17&p1=137&p2=136&p3=195&p4=166&p5=264&p6=240

Stream:
http://live.grammy.com/
http://www.cbs.com/shows/grammys/all-access/
Last Edit: Feb 15, 2016, 09:49 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Aww, 2AM ?  :( (says the guy who didn't sleep until 4AM last night)