Just Get Yourself High

Samples & Trainspotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Apr 01, 2017, 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Hmmm... right direction...but I'm thinking Kat Mandu did a remix or cover of it. The below by 'Lectric Funk may have been earlier and the original. The Spotify version has a late '80s pop-disco feeling to it. The 'Lectric Funk version has a more raw Italo-dico feeling (that baseline).

As for the timeline, it makes sense as T&E were regularly playing Kat Mandu's The Break around the time as  heard on the Breezeblock and again on the 2001 NYE set around CWU release (speaking of...still trying to find that Roland Louis Latin Percussion on vinyl from that set, true "Tropical House"). Both were on the Unidisc label in Canada. I could see T&E digging into the Unidisc back catalogue at the time.

The crazy part is that this was the soundtrack to a 'so bad it's good' sex comedy called gas pump girls in 1979.

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Nice find Rynostar! You're probably right, that source would make more sense. Also now I have a new movie to watch!

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jun 17, 2019, 00:07
anyone ever noticed that the cymbol crash at the end of leave home (sans birds chirping) is in a majority of songs pre-push the button.

Stereo MC's - Creation. At the very end of the song.

Quote from: Mrdmus on Jul 25, 2019, 08:55

Stereo MC's - Creation. At the very end of the song.

Great spot. I remember that song but must admit I never paid close attention to that final beat.
Stereo MC's biggest hit was Connected and it used to get used in a lot of adverts. I remember Carphone Warehouse in particular using Connected for aaaages in both their TV and radio advertising and I got so sick of it - and consequently the Stereo MC's themselves -  that I would go out of my way to avoid them. Always thought the lead vocalist looked like he would steal your wallet to buy drugs. I did however like the Paul Daley (ex-Leftfield) remix of Paradise in 2005.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Hey bedroom producers and remixers, how would you like stems for... Beethoven. Yes that one; Ludwig van.
Well now you can have 'em courtesy of the BBC orchestra and high brow BBC Radio 3. It's Beethoven's 5th to be exact. Personally I get more excited by his 9th (previously sampled hy U2 IIRC) but No.5 is pretty iconic too.
Click here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08x4b5z

Krafty Kuts has already had a go. His take on Ludwig has been played on 6 Music. I'm struggling to post a link but I imagine if you search 6 music for Shaun Keavney's 16th Nov show you'll find it.

https://twitter.com/Krafty_Kuts/status/1328318962841612289
(☝️ Didn't embed because of 🔥 emoji)

https://twitter.com/Krafty_Kuts/status/1328987590020698112

EDIT
Sigie Sigue Sputnik's sample of Beethoven's 9th (circa 2.33) is also worth a mention. A Clockwork Orange and Blade Runner sampled in this track too.

Last Edit: Nov 24, 2020, 20:32 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

0:00 - Is that the sitar sound from Enjoyed??
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Remember when Chaka Khan released "Like Sugar" a couple of years ago? It was 2018 to be exact. I remember hearing it in a barber shop and thinking: this must be an old 1970's Chaka tune, but the radio said it was her new single. It sounded like this:

Well, I was listening to a Jodie Harsh DJ mix recently and I heard the track below, and thought: "that's an outrageous sample-and-rename job of Chaka's track!"

Laesh - Good Enough

So I had a look to see if it had been acknowledged on Whosampled.com. No sign of it. However the YT upload for the Laesh track is from 2017. So that's before the Chaka track was released. Hmmm.  ???

Then I searched the Chaka track on WhoSampled. And guess what? It's basically a massive cover version (with direct samples) of this 2016 track:

Fatback Band / Sarah Ruba - [Are You Ready] Do The Bus Stop / Suga

...which itself was a rework of an old Fatback Band track for the soundtrack of the 2016 Netflix series The Get Down.
Here's the original from 1975:

Fatback Band - (Are You Ready) Do The Bus Stop

So it seems Chaka was the last artist in the chain to cover/sample this thing, and uh...I had tell someone!

Oh and as a PS: Sarah Ruba who co-wrote that 2016 version for the Netflix show is also a compadre of Switch (Dave Taylor) with whom she co-founded a record label. And when Chaka released Like Sugar, the track got a remix from Switch. In fact the Chaka track was released on Diary Records - the label founded by Ruba/Switch.

Like Sugar (Switch Remix)
Last Edit: Aug 01, 2021, 16:19 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Hi! Long time no post.  :) I was having a random discussion about volcanoes, which led to discussing the loudest sound ever recorded, which led to YouTube in search of said recording. Easily found Krakatoa from 1883. Gave it a listen, then several more listens.

So am I deaf? Mishearing things? And more importantly, has this been mentioned here too many years ago to remember (or mentioned during one of my forum lulls?)

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else hears the beginning of We Are The Night.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hi Whirly!

WATN is more melodic, but the roar definitely sounds similar! Now that would be an interesting sample use.

Quote from: Stefan on Dec 06, 2021, 22:12

Hi Whirly!

WATN is more melodic, but the roar definitely sounds similar! Now that would be an interesting sample use.

The roar - yes that's the sound! It has been driving me bonkers wondering if that bit is just coincidence (and a case of my ears playing tricks with my brain again.)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I'm afraid it won't be easy to get a definitive answer. Somebody could try and ask the Chems via their accounts on Twitter, there's a small chance they'll answer.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Dec 06, 2021, 19:29
nyway, I'm curious if anyone else hears the beginning of We Are The Night.

I hear it :) definitely
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

This one is a reach, but, hear me out...

(3:10 - Eeeeeeyeessss)

(23.38)

Now, the video above came out WAY after STTS, so it's obviously not from that video (though it does sound oddly close!) but I speculate that some other recording that explains the phonetic pronunciation of "yes" is the actual source.

Also, side note. I had no idea how seemingly unpopular STTS is online. Searching 'Song To The Siren' on Youtube yields a fat 0 Chemical Brothers results. I get there being more popular songs with the title... but 0!? Is it just a track that's weirdly not prevalent online? Or are the other versions that much more popular?
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I think you might be on to something, Enjoyed.

You too, Whirlygirl! Though, I appear to be a month and a half late to respond...

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 23, 2022, 19:45
Also, side note. I had no idea how seemingly unpopular STTS is online. Searching 'Song To The Siren' on Youtube yields a fat 0 Chemical Brothers results. I get there being more popular songs with the title... but 0!? Is it just a track that's weirdly not prevalent online? Or are the other versions that much more popular?

I would point out that there is no official listing for STTS from The Chemical Brothers HQ on YouTube. I would imagine if there was an official listing it would have a lot of views/hits. Thus generating a generic hit for "Song to the Siren". Maybe it was recently removed? Or, did it ever exist?

To go further about the popularity of the track, I feel like 10+ years ago STTS held more weight within Chemical Brother lore. Today, it feels like nothing more than a nostalgic prototype amongst their other productions. I think it's remembered, but not necessarily sought out. Still, it should create a hit off of YouTube search, which was the original concerned raised.

just followed up with a search on Youtube and STTS (EPD album version) is on The Chemical Brothers HQ channel.

It is listed as "Song To The Siren (Live From Sabresonic Nightclub,United Kingdom/1994)"

...is this right, it's a live recording?

Maybe there is a copyright issue with Singles 93-03 version and or the Junior Boys original version?

weird

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 24, 2022, 21:19

It is listed as "Song To The Siren (Live From Sabresonic Nightclub,United Kingdom/1994)"

...is this right, it's a live recording?

Booklet says yes  ;)

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 24, 2022, 21:19

Maybe there is a copyright issue with Singles 93-03 version and or the Junior Boys original version?
Singles 93-03 isn't listed as a playlist by the official TCB account while Brotherhood (disc 1) is.
And for all the tracks they've released as Dust Brothers: only the tracks that where later re-released as Chemical Brothers (Chemical Beats, One To Many Mornings & If You Kling To Me I'll Klong To You) are listed, the other ones (Dope Coil, Her Jazz, My Mercury Mouth, both versions of Dust Up Beats & Be That Thing) aren't.
Why STTS is only listed as the live version from EPD even though the studio version was also re-relased as TCB (on Singles) - i don't know.

edit:
Singles 93-03 is also not listed on Spotify, while again, Brotherhood is.
The Golden Path is on both, Youtube & Spotify, listed as Brotherhood or single / video track.
Get Yourself High is only listed as a single (luckily on both with Nude Night).

Maybe there isn't a copyright issue with Song To The Siren but with Singles 93-03?
Last Edit: Jan 24, 2022, 22:56 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 24, 2022, 22:31

Booklet says yes  ;)

Singles 93-03 isn't listed as a playlist by the official TCB account while Brotherhood (disc 1) is.
And for all the tracks they've released as Dust Brothers: only the tracks that where later re-released as Chemical Brothers (Chemical Beats, One To Many Mornings & If You Kling To Me I'll Klong To You) are listed, the other ones (Dope Coil, Her Jazz, My Mercury Mouth, both versions of Dust Up Beats & Be That Thing) aren't.
Why STTS is only listed as the live version from EPD even though the studio version was also re-relased as TCB (on Singles) - i don't know.

edit:
Singles 93-03 is also not listed on Spotify, while again, Brotherhood is.
The Golden Path is on both, Youtube & Spotify, listed as Brotherhood or single / video track.
Get Yourself High is only listed as a single (luckily on both with Nude Night).

Maybe there isn't a copyright issue with Song To The Siren but with Singles 93-03?

Hmmm, interesting.

That could be the reasoning behind 'Brotherhood', too. 'Brotherhood' seems a bit impractical considering 'Singles 93-03' was released only 5 years before (and is by far the better release). I don't have hard data, but, I seem to remember a lot of "Best of" type compilations being released by different artists through the early to mid 2000's. Which in retrospect, seems to be the record companies attempt to combat music piracy and their way of satisfying waning consumers by condensing albums and putting all your favorite songs, of your favorite artist, on one album.

And staying with the theory that 'Singles 93-03' has a copyright issue, that's "no bueno" for a hurting industry, so they force Chems to release another updated"Best Of" in 'Brotherhood'.

I just took it upon myself to see when the most recent re-issue of 'Singles 93-03' was,  and it was resubmitted on cd for Japan in 2015. Cleary says on Obi-strip, congruent with their 2015 Summer Sonic performance.

https://www.discogs.com/release/9269696-The-Chemical-Brothers-Singles-93-03

I would imagine this couldn't happen with a copyright issue.

So whatever the reasoning behind all of this is, it's not clear.

A year on from Ennio Morricone's death, when we discussed his influence on the world of music, here's my (well, mostly WhoSampled's) attempt to link Ennio with the Chems.

Ennio Morricone - For A Few Dollar More

The whistling melody in the above was "interpolated"/replayed at 3:33 in:
Babe Ruth - The Mexican (which Prodigy fans may know as track 3 on the Dirtchamber Sessions)

The bassline in the above was directly sampled by Carlos Berrios in
Doin' It After Dark (D-Ski's Dance)

That bassline in turn was interpolated/replayed on the bottom end of DYOH - as I mentioned in the 25th anniversary thread yesterday. From about 0.36

As well as Dirtchamber 3 and Doin It After Dark, that Babe Ruth trak has a lot of other connections
e.g. Bambataa's Planet Rock, Orange Lemon (AKA Todd Terry)'s Dreams of Santa Ana, and even an R Kelly track.

Speaking of R Kelly the paedo(!), did y'all know that Afrika Bambataa is being sued for alleged child abuse?

The fact that Bambaataa stood down from his own organisation, the Universal Zulu Nation, following allegations in 2016 does not bode well for him IMHO.

Oh hang on, technical correction on R Kelly:

I guess I've gone a bit off topic...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

In other words, you dug your own hole?

But apart from that dark hole, interesting digging, though :D. I've loved Babe Ruth's Mexican ever since I listend to the mentioned Dirt Chamber Sessions for the first time.

To be honest, however, it's really hard to make out the connection to DYOH somehow. It probably falls into that category of samples distorted beyond recognition, as Tom once admitted in an interview from the late 90s (I guess, it's somewhere buried in the interview topic on here) to avoid IP issues.

Btw, Carlos' track does not only sample the baseline but also the drum beat, it appears.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 30, 2022, 21:04

It probably falls into that category of samples distorted beyond recognition, as Tom once admitted in an interview from the late 90s

I don't know if it's a direct sample or "replayed", but I think you can hear it - speeded up A LOT -  pretty clearly on good headphones from 0:37 to 1.04 (it continues after that, but additional bass guitar comes in to muddy the waters).

And also between about 2:47 and 2:56 where it drops in and out. There's no other bass guitar here to add any confusion.

[Timings from the above DYOH vid.]
IT'S MORNING TIME!