If You Ever Change Your Mind About Leaving It All Behind..

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Roger Rabbit is one of the greatest movies ever!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Apr 09, 2022, 08:29

for the love of God go see this movie! Doing a 3rd tomorrow! Laughing and crying will happen! Too many feels!

I finally did. Although I didn't cry, I laughed for the most of the movie.
Would join in recommending seeing it, it's nice to see a (superhero?) movie that actually has a sincere message.
Completely enjoyed it.
It helps that I always had huge crush on Michelle Yeoh.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Anyone saw Top Gun Maverick? Don't think (Just let it flow). Amazing movie!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Apr 09, 2022, 08:29

Went and saw Everything Everywhere All At Once!... Michelle Yeoh's acting range is peak here. ... 80's film nerds will recognize that Lo Pan from Big Trouble In Little China and Data from the Goonies make impressive yet compelling characters

Quote from: sandelic on May 19, 2022, 01:08

I finally did. Although I didn't cry, I laughed for the most of the movie.
Would join in recommending seeing it, it's nice to see a (superhero?) movie that actually has a sincere message.
Completely enjoyed it.
It helps that I always had huge crush on Michelle Yeoh.

I just watched it a couple of days ago. Data from the Goonies is AKA Short Round from Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom. That's what I semi-recognised him from (with the help of IMDB).
Michelle Yeoh will always be the kick-ass Motorcycle chick from Tomorrow Never Dies for me.

As for the film, it certainly felt different from anything else I've seen. At times it was a lot of fun. But at the risk of being the party pooper here, the last half hour kinda dragged for me; I was basically waiting for it to be over. Fair Do's to A24 for continuing to pursue new avenues though.

Quote from: nekoland on May 31, 2022, 14:32

Anyone saw Top Gun Maverick? Don't think (Just let it flow). Amazing movie!

When I heard this was happening I wondered: who asked for a sequel 35 years later? Surely this is gonna be a huge flop?
But I'm hearing nothing but good things about it. Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 96% which is remarkable. So now I guess I have to watch it!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on May 31, 2022, 15:25

When I heard this was happening I wondered: who asked for a sequel 35 years later? Surely this is gonna be a huge flop?
But I'm hearing nothing but good things about it. Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 96% which is remarkable. So now I guess I have to watch it!
Just read that this is the most succesful movie of his career, earning 291 million dollars in the first 10 days (usa & canada). For example, his most succesful movie before that was War Of The Worlds which earned 234 million dollar through it's complete cinema time (also usa & canada).
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Csar on May 15, 2022, 19:54

Roger Rabbit is one of the greatest movies ever!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on May 12, 2022, 11:50

I watched Chinatown...

Fun re:View here from the Red Letter Media crew. They even mention Chinatown several times over, which is a funny parallel we had on here.

Music Box Theatre of Chicago (which I frequently mention on here) is going to celebrate movies that utilize stop-motion film making over the course of the next month. They commission fun promo bumpers to hype events like this quite often. Some of the best come in the style of 'Robot Chicken' like this latest commission:

https://twitter.com/musicboxtheatre/status/1542197807578320898

Love the Ash and Wallace bit.

Also, since we are on the subject of stop-motion it looks like I need to watch 'Mad God':

Last Edit: Jul 01, 2022, 04:49 by Bosco

I haven't seen much love for the Umbrella Academy here. All three seasons have been interesting and captivating while growing into something distinctly different, and the characters evolve to the point of being reinvented every season while still remaining true to what we've learned.

I watch a lot of pop culture geeky stuff (most recently Stranger Things, The Boys, Ms Marvel, Obi-Wan Kenobi), but of all of them, this one had me most excited to see the next episodes.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I was not ready for nope. I'm tripping the hell out from that experience. I love Jordan Peele's works but damn. call me a wuss all you want but thank god I don't have to work tomorrow, because I don't think I can sleep.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Sandman did not dissapoint.
It had some interesting visuals and cast is excellent.
I hope there will be more of it.

Oh, I love the comics, they were my favourite until dethroned by Saga and Monstress (with the caveat that these series are not finished yet, so there is no way to tell whether they can keep up the quality until their conclusion).

So far, I have the impression that the Netflix adaptation is well-received, I'll shure check it out once I'm done with bingeing The Boys

People are saying Prey is the best Predator movie since the original. That's nostalgia speaking.

Prey took everything interesting about the original and improved upon it.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

This is more of a 'Movies/Shows I'm going to be watching' post, but I'd love any horror movie recommendations people want to throw out. I'm hoping to get SUPER SPOOKY this month.

To give you an idea of what kind of thing I'm into...

• I love The VVitch. I've actually only seen it once but I think about it all the time and actively tell people it's my favourite movie.
  • The Ritual is also a movie I really enjoyed and think about a lot.
  • The Night House was good.
  • Someone here recommended The Lodge, which was great.
  • It Follows - loved it
  • Get Out, Us, Nope - all brilliant

I guess an easy place to start would be A24. There's a lot of things I haven't seen yet that I want to. I also have the following on my list from last year:

• The Wailing
  • Under The Shadow
  • Nocturne
  • Raw

Throw some others out! I can't promise I'll get round to all of them, but I'd love to hear what you guys enjoy in the world of Horror!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I would like to throw some recommendations your way, but I'm not a huge fan of horror genre, though I do watch it here and there.
Just today a friend of mine recommended Life (2017) to me, that he found scary. Reviews are not really stellar but cast is interesting.
My all time favorite horror movie, if you would call it that, is (classics like The Shining aside) is The Others with Nicole Kidman. That thing was in my head for days after watching it. I imagine you've already seen it.
If not, it's worth a watch, since you obviously like atmosphere heavy movies, not just gory stuff.

The VVitch seems interesting, thanks for recommending that. 

Quote from: sandelic on Oct 02, 2022, 20:29

I'm not a huge fan of horror genre, though I do watch it here and there.

Mostly the same. Horror genre has the awesome ability to utilize experimental film making, but a lot films have a hard time making a complete film. Films like The Shining, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Psycho, and etc. are tired recommendations, but all are great complete horror films.

Sandelic, go watch Robert Eggers VVitch and The Lighthouse. Put a fire in the fireplace (if you got one) and try and catch it on a dreary day. Both intriguing atmospheric slow burns.

I've watched Lighthouse.
It's a fascinating movie, if that's the word for that completely mad metaphor of a movie.
Brilliant acting from both Dafoe and Pattinson.

Banshees of Inisherin

Fecking 'ell

Barry Keoghan can play an oddball flawlessly. He does seem to be getting pigeonholed, but he's stealing every scene from his extremely seasoned co-stars. I'm definitely a fan.

Anyway, great film. Not a pleasant watch on initial view because it's damningly depressing. But a great one to dissect afterwards with all the metaphors and foreshadowing. I recommend if you can stomach a very cold and unwavering type film.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 08, 2023, 20:12
Banshees of Inisherin
Adding to Watchlist!

• • • •

I am currently watching, and very much loving, The Last Of Us. Never played the game so any references/change ups are completely lost on me. It's just solidly good great television - as I'm sure everyone keeps being told from various other sources.

• • • •

I also recently finished up watching His Dark Materials.
My favourite book series by far, so very excited that it was made. Thoroughly enjoyed the journey on TV too, despite some areas being a little lackluster. Cried like a baby, as Pullman intended, and was left mostly satisfied at the end
Spoiler
(as much as you can be with THAT ending)
Especially loved the casting for Will - I hope Amir Wilson continues on to bigger and better things.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

It's been a while since I've shared movie reviews. I used to love movies so much more. That was my undergraduate degree ffs.

Anyway--recently I saw When A Monster Calls (I think still available on Netflix). I had no expectations, and I came away crying. I do recommend--it's actually thought provoking in conversations of morality and justice.

I also sat my parents down at Christmas and had them watch Everything Everywhere All at Once--I loved the film, and think it's a magnificent piece of cinema. Sadly, my parents did not like it one bit.