Maybe I Feel Out of Control

Now Playing

Started by ThePumisher, Jun 28, 2015, 07:58

Previous topic - Next topic
In lead up to Portola this weekend...

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

speaking of covers, I have been hooked on this since first hearing it last week.

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 29, 2023, 04:36
speaking of covers,
I'm glad someone saw the post(s) before the page was turned.
Idea for today's maintenance: remove all the pages from the threads so it's just one long scroll. What could go wrong?

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 28, 2023, 22:00
So you don't like Annie Lennox version of it?
Meh...

Quote from: rynostar on Sep 28, 2023, 23:35
In lead up to Portola this weekend...
[Barry Can't Swim -'Sunsleeper']
The track that he sampled - 'Mangüeiro' by Baiuca and Aliboria is worth checking out in its own right.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

róisín murphy — you knew
Eight or over.

loraine james — i dm u
Eight or over.

Starts ok, gets better.

Bugged Out! 1994-2023: A Periodic Selection, Mixed by Erol Alkan

Tracklist:
1 Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass (XL Version) - I-F
2 Coatnoise (Dave Clarke mix) - Midfield General
3 Rocker (Dub) - Alter Ego
4 Do You Really Think Like That? - Helena Hauff
5 Hjemme Erotic - Charlotte Bendiks
6 Girlz - Miss Kitten
7 Phantom (Soulwax Nite Version) - Justice
8 Yeah - Boys Noize
9 They're Here (Matias Aguayo Remix) - Paurro
10 Put Your Weight On It (Chicago Mix) - Todd Osborn
11 La Mouche (DJ Falcon Metal Box Remix) - Cassius
12 Chord memory DAFT PUNK remix - Ian Pooley
13 Nude Night - The Chemical Brothers
14 Crispy Bacon - Laurent Garnier
15 Do You Want To (Erol Alkan's Glam Racket) - Franz Ferdinand
16 Body Acid (KiNK's on Acid Remix) - Gingy & Bordello
17 Midnight Request Line (Switch Remix) - Skream
18 Bone Sucka - Pangaea
19 Spectral Frequency - Special Request
20 Alien 3 (Daniel Avery Remix) - Mandy, Indiana
21 Bang The Box (Slam Remix) - Jack Master
22 Flash (Original Mix) - Green Velvet
23 La Rock 01 - Vitalic
24 Mouth to Mouth - Audion
25 OAR003-B - Oni Ayhun
26 XTC - DJ Koze
27 Desire - 69
28 Chez Moi (Club Mix) - CC Disco
29 Der Alte - KÖLSCH
30 Silver Screen Shower Scene (Thin White Duke Mix) - Felix Da Housecat
IT'S MORNING TIME!

⬆ digging that mix, thanks for sharing!

floating points — Birth4000
Eight or over.

Saw The Notwist play at Festsaal Kreuzberg in Berlin a weeks back. That was an amazing journey of a set. It was like seeing a progression of a German band across a portfolio of tracks through 30+ years. Pilot was particularly memorable as it's evolution live was amazing as it went from indie-rock oriented to progressive techno and back again. Similar to Franz Ferdinand's Lucid Dreams.

Adding this Pandemic era video as well.

That guy mades me laugh a lot of times ("I am Chandler. I make jokes when i'm uncomfortable...")
no idea, no idea

Forgot how strong this Teena Marie track goes. It keeps going up another level throughout the song. Just when you think you've peaked, BOOM, right in the kisser it hits another level.   

Beatles - Now And Then

no idea, no idea

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

A couple of new tracks released this autumn.

Remember Fries Friends by Dukwa from the Chems 2017 Nuits Donores DJ set? Probably my least favourite track in that mix. This, on the other hand is lovely and it (probably) gets under your skin after 2 or 3 listens. Melodic piano & strings for your Sunday afternoon.

Dukwa - Lighthouse

By contrast, this thing hits pretty hard and could probably break your speakers.
Brodinski, Deft - 1606 Collagen
IT'S MORNING TIME!

real banger of a new EP from nathan fake. wouldn't have guessed the artist, personally, hearing this material

nathan fake — nwi

and some oldschool goodness..

wagon christ — king's lynn

also, really digging the new sofia kourtesis record
sofia kourtesis — vajkoczy

and then just something raw
jerome hill — bunker 7
Eight or over.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 19, 2020, 18:43
the bit at 0.59 to 1.30, and again at 2.00 to 2.31 and again at 3.31 to 4.02 and again at 5.07 to 5.38. ...Where do I know this from?

Planningtorock - Jam Fam

Three years later...I think the answer to my question about the topline melody is Superflash. They don't really sound the same, but yet one reminds me of the other.

Now here's a couple of tunes that should definitely remind you of old skool rave. One that I missed from 2021 (heard in a TSHA DJ set) and one current track from 2023.

2021: Doctor Jeep - Necka Pill

2023: Shadow Child & Mark Archer - Chinwah (Big Djs)
(Mark Archer = the main man from Altern8)

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Dec 02, 2023, 14:58
Now here's a couple of tunes that should definitely remind you of old skool rave. One that I missed from 2021 (heard in a TSHA DJ set) and one current track from 2023.
2021: Doctor Jeep - Necka Pill

This one's really cool, I like it a lot!!! And yet, it suffers from the same thing that lots of artists from the "original" era also lacked sometimes, and why others like the Chems, early Prodigy stood out: Too few interesting elements! Add some more synth stuff and/or effects in the background or introduce another melody/ put one on top or whatever, at least emphasise the acid bassline a bit more at times.. Whatever it is, just add a little more "spice". Good tunes should have a "story arc" like in a good book.

But knowing this came out like 2 years ago, I'll be forgiving! Really neat track.
Last Edit: Dec 03, 2023, 09:56 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Dec 02, 2023, 19:09
This one's really cool, ... Add some more synth stuff and/or effects in the background or introduce another melody/ put one on top or whatever, at least emphasise the acid bassline a bit more at times.. Whatever it is, just add a little more "spice". Good tunes should have a "story arc" like in a good book.

Agreed. I think somewhere between the 3rd and 4th minute there's a huge opportunity to add more to the track and take it to another dimension (as The Prodigy might say). Slap a keyboard/synth solo on it that harmonises with the main riff, or add some more layers. Instead of that, by around 4:32 the track starts to wind down - just as it should be hitting top gear. Still worth a listen though.

Quote from: Csar on Dec 02, 2023, 19:09
But knowing this came out like 2 years ago, I'll be forgiving!
I won't (even though I clearly liked the track enough to post it). I remember Tim Burgess being interviewed on Channel 4 news about his twitter listening parties during lockdown. He was asked if lots of amazing music was going to appear as a result of lockdown - after all, musicians had no other activities to distract them. Burgess was reluctant to give a straight answer, but I understand why the question was asked.
I also remember Pete Tong saying that (dance) music producers could spend more time on their tracks because they weren't distracted by DJ bookings etc.
And again I agree with the sentiment. So the fact that 2021 was a bit "lockdown-y" isn't necessarily an excuse for making an incomplete track, IMHO.

And now another track that jumped into my head because of Superflash.
I'm pretty sure T&E would both be familiar with this 1980s indie classic. I wonder if it may have been an influence?

The House of Love - Christine
IT'S MORNING TIME!

re: old school rave, but with interesting bits..

bored lord - luv

bored lord - feel it

actually fuck it the whole record is damn good

also now listening..a real banger from paranoid london. and the new dj shadow actually keeps growing on me

paranoid london - love one self with joe love

dj shadow - ozone scraper

Eight or over.

Have to say that i really like Lana Del Rey's version of Country Roads. Never thought i would because i'm not a Del Rey listener and was totally fine with John Denver's take, but the more i listen to it the more it grows...

no idea, no idea

Air - Caramel Prisoner

no idea, no idea