Who Is This Doin' This Synthetic Type of Alpha Beta Psychedelic Funkin'?

Justice

Started by Ben_j, Jul 07, 2016, 12:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Congrats on the Grammy. Well deserved for this album particularly. Another reason to show it was worth revisiting the Woman album. (Even if the industry every year is starting to not give a shit more and more). Still an achievement while its there:

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Woman World Wide was an achievement for Justice.

I think it deserves consideration as one of the best electronic music albums of all time.

Can't say that what they were up against was on the same level though... Now winning the Grammy next year would be big, with such a lot of big names having an album in 2019

Which brings it back to whether the Grammy's is a fair and true representation of the music landscape of today. I read again how artists/industry types are selected to be judges and be nominated for an award again and seems like its set up in a very grey area.

The new planisphere? the lighting and camera work reminds me of the climax movie.

OK its a movie of the concert but without an audience and a revolving sculpture around them whilst performing:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8496974/justice-iris-a-space-opera-live-film-sxsw-2019

As much as I love Justice: this sounds really dull.

They should have also released their Accorhotels Arena performance. I have a rip of the stream and it was awesome. I'm still interested in this. Thought it was gonna be new music.

Yeah. I thought it was gonna be a cool short film with a planisphere type vibe that would be like a score to the film.

I don't understand why they never released a proper live performance. A Cross the universe is quite boring (the movie), the AAA Nimes DVD was rumoured but never released and WWW is "just" a remix album. Now they miss another chance.

Well Woman Worldwide is not just a remix album, it IS their live set, just performed and recorded in the studio. Kinda like a Peel Session. I have a great audio recording of their Accorhotels Arena performance and it's exactly like Woman Worldwide... just with an audience. I love what they did with Woman Worldwide as there are plenty of pro-recorded audio of sets from this tour (Accorhotels Arena, Glastonbury, Google I/O). The Accorhotels Arena live video is up on torrent site and is an awesome show with their stage setup and lights. I don't think they pusheda live DVD because the Accorhotels Arena show was broadcasted live online worldwide and re-posted later on to watch again.

Is there a pro-shot video of the Google I/O gig or just the audio? I only know the audio plus pro shots of Coachella, Glastonbury and Paris. Ultra Music Festival 2017 also exists but I only know the mediocre quality version on Youtube
I thought maybe they'd put out the Paris concert as the versions released as VOD are shortened and the full live stream didn't have the best quality. All in all, WWW is a great album, but I would have preferred to get a Blu-ray of a full gig...

Quote from: M_O_N_O on Feb 15, 2019, 12:30

Is there a pro-shot video of the Google I/O gig or just the audio? I only know the audio plus pro shots of Coachella, Glastonbury and Paris. Ultra Music Festival 2017 also exists but I only know the mediocre quality version on Youtube
I thought maybe they'd put out the Paris concert as the versions released as VOD are shortened and the full live stream didn't have the best quality. All in all, WWW is a great album, but I would have preferred to get a Blu-ray of a full gig...

Google I/O video was broadcasted live, I watched it, so as long as someone captured it. I'm sure it is out there on the webs. The Accorhotels Arena performance was way better in my opinion. Much more energy. The copy I have actually looks pretty good to me. This was from the repost, I believe, not a capture of the original stream, which looks much better. Watch the video above, looks good enough to me.

Anyone going to these cinema sessions? Remember when Don't Think did this? I went to that with Kwiddle and her partner.

If I didn't hear the live album yet I would go but I've heard it to death and its at the same cinema Don't Think was which was OK but not amazing in terms of sound. Unless technology has changed been upgraded since then.

Quote from: MIKL on Aug 07, 2019, 12:12

Anyone going to these cinema sessions? Remember when Don't Think did this? I went to that with Kwiddle and her partner.

If I didn't hear the live album yet I would go but I've heard it to death and its at the same cinema Don't Think was which was OK but not amazing in terms of sound. Unless technology has changed been upgraded since then.
I went and it was excellent! There's a long (too long ?) making of/explanatory video before the "concert" actually starts. It explains why they did it like that: they did a lot of concert filming before but it never retranscribed the energy and the ambiance in the crowd. So they tried a different approach, whithout the crowd, so the crowd would be the people seeing it in the theater (although honestly everyone sat still, so not sure if it's what they intended), and where they had control on what to show at what moment.
The sound was absolutely perfect. I saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater and it was really pleasant. The filming and "directing" are great too. You have these reflective black tiles on the ground that give a symetry to the stage and the camera plays a lot with this, and with the fact that the stage is surrounded by pitch black. There are a lot of shots that play with the idea of infinite space around the stage, or that trick your mind and you're not sure exactly what you're looking at until it zooms out or moves.

I really enjoyed it, I hope they release it in bluray although the making of suggested that this was intended for theater only.

Quote from: Ben_j on Aug 30, 2019, 08:12

I went and it was excellent! There's a long (too long ?) making of/explanatory video before the "concert" actually starts. It explains why they did it like that: they did a lot of concert filming before but it never retranscribed the energy and the ambiance in the crowd. So they tried a different approach, whithout the crowd, so the crowd would be the people seeing it in the theater (although honestly everyone sat still, so not sure if it's what they intended), and where they had control on what to show at what moment.
The sound was absolutely perfect. I saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater and it was really pleasant. The filming and "directing" are great too. You have these reflective black tiles on the ground that give a symetry to the stage and the camera plays a lot with this, and with the fact that the stage is surrounded by pitch black. There are a lot of shots that play with the idea of infinite space around the stage, or that trick your mind and you're not sure exactly what you're looking at until it zooms out or moves.

I really enjoyed it, I hope they release it in bluray although the making of suggested that this was intended for theater only.

Thanks for the review. Its crazy if they don't release it eventually to purchase. It sounds and looks cool but wondered if this visual act would get a little tiresome for an entire viewing performance but seems like you were sold which was good. Hats off to them for trying something different.

Anyone want to defend this? :

Probably going to be THE featured electronic group this summer for music festivals. Seen them twice, and I can confirm that they can bring the heat! That being said, can't say I exactly love their catalogue of music...

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 26, 2024, 09:42
Anyone want to defend this? :
You mean the ON/AN lyrics?
Afaik the text says "One Man" 
And even if it's the "Woman" it doesn't need to mean anything, same example as Beth singing the Alive Alone lyrics.

But speaking about the songs:
ON/AN feels like their Morgan Phallen collabs just x10, while Generator is like a response for all of the Cross sound moaners. Genesis meets Classic Rave sounds here 🔥
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

In early January I saw this:
https://twitter.com/hasitleaked/status/1743019986426245583

Although Mr Has-It-Leaked now suggests this:

https://twitter.com/hasitleaked/status/1750230400448786478

And earlier this week I saw this quote from Justice:
"We wanted this track [One Night/All Night] to sound as if a dark/techno iteration of Justice had found a sample of a disco iteration of Kevin Parker".
-Which kind of intrigued me. But now that I've heard it, I'm thinking: ugh, maybe not.

The article linked to the tweet below also says Mr Parker has been working with Dua Lipa. I haven't dared search for that track. But I think back to the Lonerism album and wonder: how did he go from that to...Dua Lipa, or indeed to this song? Not for me.

https://twitter.com/futuremusicmag/status/1750613607585345719

As for the "Salsoul Orchestra, but with gabber and classic '90s hardcore techno" quote in the above tweet, I can kinda see that in relation to Generator. Sounds like there's a sample of T99's Anasthasia in there. And a hint of that "hoover" synth sound from Human Resource's Dominator.

Generator is almost good. Kinda, sorta. It has something about it, but the structure is a bit weird maybe: from Rave to salsoul disco, and then it ends. 

I hope there's better stuff on the album, otherwise I shall only be moderately interested.
IT'S MORNING TIME!