Turn Off Your Mind, Relax, and Float Downstream

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 22, 2019, 11:52
I'm watching Glasto 2000 right now

Aren't you supposed to be at work!!?  >:D

Listened to all the mixes as well.

Hey Boy Hey Girl - I'm a fan of this one since it unearthed on the live show. It extends the experience of the track during the show with another breakdown. Really like it.

Let Forever Be - Never been a great fan of the original. I like this version better.

Out of Control - It looks like I'm gonna be on the opposite - I like it. I may be a little biased because it's my favourite chems track. Especially the 07/08 tour version. It blew my mind back then.
So I have 21 minutes of Out Of Control with more variations and I love it.

Flashback - Great version! Love the acidy lines.

Dream On - Also great.

All in all. I like those psychedelic mixes. It's cool to have something new that was made during that era. Would like to have more tho. I'm looking at the 4-5CD level of Underworld's anniversaries. Those editions have some outstanding tracks. Well, maybe I was a little let down by the Beaucoup Fish one. I want "Dig Your Own Hole" anniversary, c'mon.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 18, 2019, 22:29
because 5-10 years from now (25th Anniversary, 30th Anniversary) The Chemical Brothers will be further removed from relevancy

Scary thought, ain't it?
Last Edit: Nov 22, 2019, 16:59 by kosek
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Can any of you confirm that the download voucher included with the 4LP box is for all the tracks, including the curated remixes (all of them or only the LP versions?) and the secret psychedelic mixes?
Waiting for my 4LP to get ordered from the shop. Will also be ordering the Japanese 3cd. That '99 live cd is Tha Bomb!  :o

Quote from: kosek on Nov 22, 2019, 16:35

Aren't you supposed to be at work!!?  >:D
I was working from home  ;)

Quote from: hubie on Nov 22, 2019, 14:42

Nice one. I'd love to hear it. Where can I find your first two?

I've done a couple myself, the most recent can be found HERE (I might iron out some of its kinks sometime in the future)  8)
https://www.mixcloud.com/SBRK/so-thats-the-chemical-brothers-parts-1-2-remastered/
Last Edit: Nov 22, 2019, 21:02 by Ben_j

Placed preorder and got confirmation email on June 10th, UMG took payment on Nov.20.  I have not received any info from them stating it has been shipped.    ???

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Nov 22, 2019, 21:29

Placed preorder and got confirmation email on June 10th, UMG took payment on Nov.20.  I have not received any info from them stating it has been shipped.    ???

Mine was in Junk. Worth a look. I got the email yesterday that it was being shipped.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Mine has been despatched a few hours ago from Amazon and should land in my hands tomorrow!

Arrived home to my package. I hadn't paid attention to the marketing and thought they sent me vinyl by mistake. It's vinyl sized...but you already knew that.

I'll be under the influence giving a good listen tonight...
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

So Capital One flagged Nov 20's charge from "Digital Stores" of $57.91 as possible fraud. I thought "Hell yeah that looks like fraud, I did NOT order anything in that amount from some random sounding business in the middle of the night" and had the charge and the card canceled.

Once a little more info showed up in my account and I was able to do some more thorough Googling I figured outta that it was UMG and was able to dig up my pre-order email from June. Was able to un-cancel the transaction, but not un-cancel my old card number, so I still get to log my new card number into some dozen sites/businesses/services that are all on auto-pay.

First the No Geography vinyl/digital shit-show, now this. Another Chemical Brothers official merch win!

just walked into my usual record shop and they had it. no problem. (canada)

i love this flashback remix. when i first heard flashback i thought it was the shit, just the fucking bomb. now i'm a little bored of it..but this remix makes it feel much more like a tune i can listen to!
Eight or over.

and i love the synth tweaky bits that start half way through the OOC mix, the ones just like the 1999 live improvs by ed
Eight or over.

Early thoughts.

I forgot how much I love this album, and it's been a long time since I listened to it as such (and not through playlists, mixes, etc.). Sounds great.

What a great bunch of b-sides! This "curated" disc could easily be its own release. Enjoyed is still one of my all-time favorites. I've never owned a crisp version of Sasha's Out of Control remix, so it was a great experience on a proper listen. The Kink remix of HBHG is growing on me, but I still prefer the Soulwax version.

The Secret Psychedelic Mixes are fun, but it's hard for 21 minutes of Out of Control to meet the hype. Let Forever Be is definitley the standout for me. I also love when Dream On kicks in, but it somewhat loses it's uniquness in the middle. And Flashback is the alt mix I didn't know I needed.

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

First impressions! Love the art work on everything (even the inner sleeves) I thoroughly enjoyed the Psychedelic Mixes ( LFB is way up there!) The booklet was a great read while listening to album again! Gonna start the DVD right now. Overall excellent package!

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 21, 2019, 04:28

Save that cash for the long awaited return to Indio! ...  ::)

It actually might be better to wait and see if there is some type of discount code offered for Black Friday for those who haven't ordered, yet.

hm looking out for a black friday deal is not a bad idea. it's a bit of a slap in the face to everyone that pre-ordered it, but now I will be on the look-out.

indio ain't happening though.

Quote from: Joslyn on Nov 22, 2019, 18:12

Can any of you confirm that the download voucher included with the 4LP box is for all the tracks, including the curated remixes (all of them or only the LP versions?) and the secret psychedelic mixes?
Waiting for my 4LP to get ordered from the shop. Will also be ordering the Japanese 3cd. That '99 live cd is Tha Bomb!  :o
My download code does not work :(
I also placed an order for the 3CD Japanese release. All in all, that's over 200€ spent on this anniversary :| Could have been even more if I ordered the japanese 4CD boxset

Now that I've had a chance to listen to it all, I really like the secret psychedelic mixes. The standout for me is Let Forever Be. Given the original's psychedelic nature this one works the best. But I have to say the Flashback and Dream On mixes are ace too, I think I prefer them to the originals. Certainly Flashback anyway.

HBHG is really cool from a DJing point of view, but I agree with others that it's not particularly psychedelic. It's like an EBW version if anything. The Out of Control mix is a fun jam sesh, but I think I prefer the second half of it where it goes a bit crazy and moves away from the usual build, drop, build, drop structure. The only mix I'm not a big fan of is the Kink remix, which surprised me because I usually love everything he does.

Overall it's a good collection, even though I own most of it already. Worth the purchase for the 12" artwork and the psychedelic mixes alone imo :)

A few more thoughts as I digest the release:

-The new mix of Let Forever Be is still the highlight. This version would be superb worked into the live set imo

-Call me a cynic but I sort of wonder whether these are all really alternate 1999 mixes that have been left untouched. Did they get any updating in preparation for release?

-Why no Power Move on the vinyl box?! The rest of the bsides received regular release on the 12" singles but Power Move is only on the cd single and OOC promo 12". That one really grinds my gears

-Was hoping the new Dream On mix was going to be an expansion on the reprise version, especially since that is also missing from the original vinyl release

Despite these minor gripes and questions, the box is well worth the price of admission. The book and art prints are beautifully produced.

Man, that Facebook and Instagram Surrender filter is awesome! They really nailed the Kate Gibb art style

Today I received the CD+DVD boxset and WOW :o At first I thought they've sent me the vinyl boxset ;D
The package is glorious, I have to admit. Gonna dig the DVD and the bonus material tomorrow... can't wait!

I wonder how the 4CD Japan boxset looks and feels compared to the normal one available everywhere else? Sometimes they use different materials, like with the Brotherhood box.

Has anyone seen pictures of the 2 disc basic release? I'm waiting for the 3 disc to come from Japan which is apparently a digi case sleeve, I wondered if the 2 disc was digi as well. No pictures on discogs yet.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences