Superstar DJs, Here We Go!

Bug reports

Started by Csar, Dec 16, 2022, 21:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Report any bugs and quirks you've encountered with the new forum here.
Last Edit: Dec 21, 2022, 11:10 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Not sure if its a bug or something I was doing wrong but I couldnt get in for a good while last night after accepting the new terms. When I clicked Agree, it just brought me back to the same page, without the agree button. Was going in a loop for a good while, clicking on any links on the page trying to get out and all links just brought me back to the terms page. Eventually I was brought to the main forum.
Maybe it was just waiting for an admin to allow me access?
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Hi gavin and sorry for your inconvenience.

The error log does not show snything at the moment and there's no admin confirmation required.
Do you happen to use Firefox as your browser? Did you try logging in via PC or mobile?
I've noticed that FF mobile has some issues with updating cached data. Normally this is resolved by refreshing the page. 
For instance when I log out and immediately try to log back in, I often get a "Session timed out" error and need to delete the browser data or wait for 5-8 minutes until it works again.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

No need to apologies dont be silly!
Yeah Im using Firefox, could have just been something there. As I said it eventually let me in so all good. No I didnt try any other browsers, if it happens again I'll try another one.
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Thanks, Gavin, that's actually pretty helpful! Firefox does act differently than Chrome based browsers regarding updating the page/cache data. I'm going to make a disclaimer for users like you and me.

Edit
The issue seems solved. I changed a server setting.
Last Edit: Dec 21, 2022, 11:11 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

I was automatically logged out even though i said i want to be logged in "forever" [Opera 93.0.4585.37]
no idea, no idea

Could you try again, please? I just changed the cookie name in our settings, maybe that was the reason.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Dec 21, 2022, 15:20
Hm... Mobile or PC? Do you use any script blockers?
I just installed Opera for PC and it seems working so far, both logged in and out.

PC. I was logged out - haven't used the forum on PC since it was changed so needed to log in again. First there was the snow, but as soon as i was logged in, it was gone. No script blockers or anything. Can check again on my tablet, but it has the same configuration as my pc (Win10, Opera93).

edit:
Same over there. Logged in - no snow. Logged out - snow.

edit2:
If i log out over there, i will also be logged out here. Don't know it that was the same in the old forum.
no idea, no idea

Hm. Didn't happen to me. Could you please delete your browser cache and cookies and try again?

And yes, logging out is independet from where you do that because it's synched with the server, I believe.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Dec 17, 2022, 18:41
Alrighty, changed it back.
It seems like it is now forced left => click <=
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 13, 2023, 20:43
It seems like it is now forced left => click <=

Ah, damn, the tale of naughty embeds..
TLDR:
I gave it a shot and the result would be a bit messy and require a bit more effort than I thought.

Spoiler
The thing is, the way embeds work is, they fetch the data from the content provider. And of course there are many different formats in which the media elements are provided, mostly with fixed widths and heights. The result is that on smaller displays like mobiles, videos and stuff would go outside the screen and mess everything up. I had to come up with a solution to tackle that, and, apparently, this prevents text alignment to work on these media containers. I have an extra HTML div element with a class called "embedder_media" which handles the general media dimension. If the text alignment class (e.g. "centertext") would go directly into that div element next to my "embedder_media", everything would be fine. But SMF puts the text alignment class around everything else and that somehow stops the alignment from working (looks like it fills up the space after the container). I can't explain it any better, I'm not experienced enough. I can ask the SMf team but they seem pretty busy these days as I have other questions waiting for any response.
Edit: I had an idea. Hope it works now.
Last Edit: Jan 14, 2023, 13:53 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

I keep getting logged out once a month or so (today was the second time this year). Or does @Csar play around with cookies on a regular basis?

edit: Ok, so this seems to be not happening on every of my devices at the same time. I remember back in january it was on my tablet (win10, opera) but not on my pc or phone. Today it was my pc (win10, opera), but not on my tablet or phone. Guess in march it will be on my phone but not my tablet or pc  :D
Last Edit: Feb 10, 2023, 23:15 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 10, 2023, 22:02
I keep getting logged out once a month or so (today was the second time this year). Or does @Csar play around with cookies on a regular basis?

edit: Ok, so this seems to be not happening on every of my devices at the same time. I remember back in january it was on my tablet (win10, opera) but not on my pc or phone. Today it was my pc (win10, opera), but not on my tablet or phone. Guess in march it will be on my phone but not my tablet or pc  :D
Could you please describe the logging-out a bit better? Are you logged in for a long time and then suddenly get logged out? Do you log in on multiple devices at the same time?
Do you happen to have set the log-in period to another value other than "forever" by accident?
Also, do you happen to have set your browsers (esp. on mobile devices) to automatically close tabs/ delete cache after a certain period of time?

Also, also: I see that you incorrectly typed in your password two times today. :P
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 11, 2023, 00:10
Could you please describe the logging-out a bit better?
yes

Are you logged in for a long time and then suddenly get logged out?
yes. for example, yesterday i was logged in (pc), today i was logged out (pc).  does not happen while in session

Do you log in on multiple devices at the same time?
i'm browsing the forums on three devices: pc (win10), tablet (win10) and phone (android 13). mostly i'm using the tablet for this. and no, i'm not opening the site on those devices at the same time.

Do you happen to have set the log-in period to another value other than "forever" by accident?
nope

Also, do you happen to have set your browsers (esp. on mobile devices) to automatically close tabs/ delete cache after a certain period of time?
also no

Also, also: I see that you incorrectly typed in your password two times today. :P
that is correct
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 11, 2023, 00:51
also no
Could you still please check your browsers' settings for "privacy and security" and cookies/cache and stuff like that? Do you use Opera across the board or just on PC and tablet?
Are your browsers synced in any way?

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 11, 2023, 00:51
yes. for example, yesterday i was logged in (pc), today i was logged out (pc).  does not happen while in session
What do you mean by "in session"?
So, you don't log off, you just close the browser? If so, have you checked yet what happens when you open it again?
— Aurora (The Seed)

and logged out again, tablet
no idea, no idea

I did some tweaking today for No Reason, perhaps that's a reason. Before today, you had no issues at all?
— Aurora (The Seed)

not since the last one
no idea, no idea

Not sure if this counts as a bug, or just a feature that's missing, but:

When in a sub forum (The Social, Live, etc.) you can click the date & time of a post (Today at 16:39) and it will take you to that latest reply.
But from the top level, those post date & time lines are not hyperlinked to the post - meaning you have to click into the sub forum, and then you can hit the link.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

It's indeed not a bug. It's the way it's designed by SMF plus a little tweak by me. Originally, both the board index and the topic index had the link for the last made post as each topic's name. When I started out with the theme stuff, I felt that, at the topic index level, it was redundant to have their name there twice because you see where someone last posted at that level. So, I removed the topic-name and made the time stamp a link. And then I figured, it would be nice to have the avatar icons functioning as a link for last posts too. I just either forgot then to remove the timestamp link or deliberately left it there as an alternative in case something goes wrong with avatar icons, I can't remember.

So:
Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 11, 2023, 00:47
But from the top level, those post date & time lines are not hyperlinked to the post - meaning you have to click into the sub forum, and then you can hit the link.
You can always use the avatar icons to get to the last post on either index which I thought would be handy in an age of mobile devices.
— Aurora (The Seed)