Jerk Chicken

Chemical Brothers album reissues on Vinyl

Started by Ford, Sep 27, 2016, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Damn! I'm saving up for a DSLR and now this comes around. And again an xy-"only" thing as well. DAMN! Can anyone of you Americans get a hold of two copies for me?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

well that just about pops my 'Dig Your Own Hole' 20th anniversary idea.

I'm happy they are doing this. But shouldn't there be a premium collectors box set available? This obviously caters to the more dedicated fans. Isn't obvious we pretty much want them all, why only sell them individually? Throw in a T-shirt, add a poster, maybe have Tom and Ed sign the box set and put $300 price tag on it.

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 24, 2016, 18:45

How come We Are The Night uses the original cover ? Wasn't it changed because of legal/copyright issues ?
It's complicated. The original cover was never blocked or pulled, it still gets used (check ChemHistory) but most re-releases have the dark handless cover. I'm guessing when they were caught using the Bauhaus design they were forced to pay royalties on it, and the record label opted to use the alternate cover for-repressings and digital sales to save money. Not that they were disallowed to use the original design for those initial prints, but it cost extra to use.

Speaking of how much it was stolen, most people cite the print Lonesome City Dweller as the source (which does have the eyes on hands), but this is what it was actually based on:

Things to Come, 1938

http://www.moma.org/collection/works/7524

So you can understand why they ran into issues!
Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 21:51 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: toxic on Oct 24, 2016, 16:09

More info:
- Hand numbered
- Limited to 1000 copies each!
- Only in the U.S., which sucks because I live in the Netherlands so... hello import taxes!  :o

Couldn't resist... I just pre-ordered all 7 :)

More info for U.S. people:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/the-chemical-brothers-reissuing-entire-catalog-on-vinyl/

Check available independent U.S. record stores:
http://www.carolinestorefinder.com/chemicalbrothers/

I have to walk two whole blocks.  There could be snow that day.  Fuck.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 24, 2016, 18:24

I would rather get the 3xLP versions than pay wildly for most of these though. Especially for Push The Button and WATN.

Why are the promo vinyls 3LP? Does that make them better sound quality than the 2LPs?

Quote from: Ford on Oct 25, 2016, 04:26

Why are the promo vinyls 3LP? Does that make them better sound quality than the 2LPs?

Slightly, less audio per side usually means higher quality. And the WATN one is heavyweight and sounds awesome.

But the best part is a lot of them have unmixed transitions due to the many sides. PTB has an unmixed Marvo Ging / Surface To Air, WATN has a true ending to Burst Generator, Surrender vinyls (2x and 3x) have an unmixed Got Glint.

Damn, I want to hear them now.

Aaaand it looks like Amoeba is sold out of nearly all the limited edition titles. Great.

These are like Christmas candy  ;D Lovely shop near me that is on the handy dandy store finder! I finally have a turntable again but man oh man is vinyl ever an expensive hobby! I want the We Are The Night one. Hopefully they will have it in stock by the time payday hits on Friday.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

They're selling them at Rainy Day in Olympia, WA! I'm (hopefully, if customs plays nice) going to be there in December so I'll have to go get one in store. How fun!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

D'oh, yes Dec 9. Wishful thinking they were on store shelves sooner than that!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 24, 2016, 20:47

well that just about pops my 'Dig Your Own Hole' 20th anniversary idea.

I'm happy they are doing this. But shouldn't there be a premium collectors box set available? This obviously caters to the more dedicated fans. Isn't obvious we pretty much want them all, why only sell them individually? Throw in a T-shirt, add a poster, maybe have Tom and Ed sign the box set and put $300 price tag on it.

Box Set hand delivered by Acid Father, who then proclaims "These Are All Your Children NAAAAAAOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Darn. Shipping is almost as much as the vinyl.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Would be nice to have these...but then money and no player are my issues. I'll keep a look out at DC record shops.

Audio has been cut from the original lacquers directly from the studio of the original engineer, Mike Marsh, and fully approved by The Chemical Brothers' Ed Simons and Tom Rowlands.

My main question, will the original etchings be included? Or because it's US release are they going to use the old Astralwerks copies with no funness included? Mind you, I think that was only on the Astralwerks singles that the etchings weren't included.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: toxic on Oct 25, 2016, 17:56

http://www.amoeba.com/the-chemical-brothers/artist/57582

And they were almost sold out, now they are available again for preorder. Be quick ;)
GUYS STOP BUYING COME WITH US

I'd like to have Another Word with the guy who designed that sticker.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 26, 2016, 01:11

I'd like to have Another Word with the guy who designed that sticker.

Cool is that all of the stickers match the fonts of the album. I like little details.

I scooped up Further for now.

Edit: DYOH, CWU, AND PTB SOLD OUT!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I'm hoping they weren't all allocated to Amoeba. I just contacted two (fairly) local record stores today and awaiting a response from both once they contact their distributor.

I wonder how many tout-like snipers were lurking out there to get a good share of these limited editions just to put them on ebay at premium prices.
— Aurora (The Seed)