Jerk Chicken

Things you've learned in life

Started by Mob1, Jul 31, 2015, 03:41

Previous topic - Next topic
What the topic says.. It doesn't have to be super philosophical and shit  but I've come to the realization that life is very short(I just turned 26, yeah quarter life crisis) and I think we can all learn from each other.
It's obvious that we all come from different backgrounds, countries, socioeconomic conditions, and all that crap, but we love the chemicals so that tells us we are more alike than not, and will very much might share similar experiences, in the past and in the future. Hope this makes sense lol

I'll start, online video games are a complete waste of time. I learnt that when I was 14.
And when the chems play near you, just GO. I learnt that when I was 16.

Lesson 3: Don't start topics on ambien. I learnt that today(or las night? i was confused)

I've learned my body ain't what it used to be. My bones creak in ways they never did before, and I'm passed out cold (usually on the couch) by 10:30 at night. I'm also learning the older I get, the faster time seems to fly. For example, my son had summer school for 3 weeks and it may as well have been dog years to him. He moaned in anticipation of it, which made it worse. To me, it just flew by. Suddenly he's sleeping late into the morning and I'm like, "Hey buddy, wake up! You're late for school!!" Then he reminds me summer school ended over a week ago.

Other things I've learned - spend time with senior folks in your family. All my grandparents are passed away now, but I was fortunate to have them all in my life up in my 30's, and my last grandparent passed away when I was 41. I spent a lot of time with him, but wish I had spent more time. I miss him, his stories, his wisdom, and his crotchety old ways so much!

The most important thing I've learned is to forgive and let go. It seems simple and cliche, but it took me a long time and a few crisis' to figure this out. I won't go into details, because I'm sure this post is pretty boring, so I'll just stop it right here. ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

As I get up there in age, this is what I've found:

1 – beauty fades : choose a mate you actually like to hang out with

2 – be yourself (unless you're an asshole...you can tone down that shit and still be you)

3 – you never really know who your friends are until you need one

4 – don't be wasteful / destructive – you only get one body, one life, one Earth

5 – your definition of trust will change as you age

Most importantly... if Momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Read. Read, as much as you can. And then some more.

Quote from: satur8 on Jul 31, 2015, 18:09

2 – be yourself (unless you're an asshole...you can tone down that shit and still be you)
Good one.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

This is probably told everywhere, but I learned (the hard way) that everything happens for a reason, if it's good or bad, every action you do, every moment you live, as you go on, there's a consequence that gives a result, a result that perhaps makes everything that have you been doing, works out in the future or present (as a benefit to the person. is my point).

And remember to enjoy everything you do.

Sounds cliche, but it is a good way to be more serene with your life.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 01, 2015, 03:23

don't eat yellow snow

That's the best lesson that a human being can acquire through his whole life.

Invest time and love in your friends and family. I know it's obvious, but time flies and there might be time when they will not be there.
Don't deny yourself every experience, travel, see world, don't wait too long.
Don't let time run you over, be interested in world and direction it's going.
And, as Stefan said, read, read, read. World's best graphic chip is your imagination, use it. Rewards are tremendous.
Don't take troubles you might have in bed with you, it serves no purpose and can wreck your life.
Those things I picked up along the way.
Oh, and don't lick metal poles when it's cold outside. It bloody hurts  :D
Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015, 16:22 by sandelic
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

You do not talk about Fight Club.
no idea, no idea

Never sell a a Technics turntable. NEVER. Did it in 2013. Learned it a month later, nothing can replace a 1210...

Never stop learning/reading/etc. Stupid knowledge comes in handy (see Slumdog Millionaire), life gets better the more you know about it. Learn to decipher perishable knowledge from important knowledge (the former being people magazine and the local news).

Do not compromise your education, artistic pursuits by doing stuff that's only done to approve of others! It cost too much to go to college to major in something you're really not into.

Author George Saunders once had a nice quote about how looking back on life you'll remember your regrets/moments you weren't good to others more than the rest. It's true, I wasn't a dick in high school but the 1 or 2 times I was I can remember more than anything from my algebra classes.
Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 20:41 by Biff

Also, another Zappa quote "A drug is not bad. A drug is a chemical compound. The problem comes in when people who take drugs treat them like a license to behave like an asshole."

Speak up. Sometimes you have to be the rogue who points out how a situation is fucked.

Sometimes you have to be the "bad guy" to help others, just like in parenting.

Tip well at bars, especially ones you want to frequent. Not like 5 dollars a drink, but 2 dollars for at least your first will get you a lot of fair service. My tipping has led to many free drinks from respectable establishments.

When walking around in a shady environment, walk like you belong there. If you stick out, then you will get picked on.

Don't try to fix your bangs or sideburns. You will look worse after. Well, I ALWAYS DO GODDAMN JUST GET EVEN SIDEBURNS FFFFF
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decline the free offer for windows 10. It will render your useful PC useless.

Quote from: KNE on Aug 08, 2015, 00:49

Decline the free offer for windows 10. It will render your useful PC useless.
Really? I've got a big red exclamation mark  at the bottom of my PC encouraging me to switch from Windows 7 to 10. I have ignored it so far.
Is it really that bad?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Windows 10 is awesome. Ignore naysayers. I'd hacked numerous parts of my Windows 8.1 to remove the suck from it. Windows 10 does all of my useful hacks by default as a feature. Lots of useful multitasking features. And it looks really good.

That being said they're still working out bugs - yesterday my computer was half disabled because of a major glitch in Explorer which prevented me from opening Start or configuring network settings. It's fixed now.

If you're going from 7 to 10 you won't notice quite as big of a change, but going from 8 to 10 was like a breath of fresh air.
Never for money, always for love.