Turn Off Your Mind, Relax, and Float Downstream

Closing Tracks

Started by UltimatePelmeni, Jul 26, 2015, 22:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Same rules as in the Opening Tracks thread.

Here we go:

1. The Private Psychedelic Reel
2. Surface To Air
3. The Test
4. Alive Alone
5. The Pills Won't Help You Now (and necessarily Harpoons before it)
6. Wonders Of The Deep
7. Wide Open (actually i'd prefer The Crystal Method's Wide Open, but the thread is not about that :) )
8. Dream On

UPD: Wonders Of The Deep and Wide Open switched places.
Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 01:02 by UltimatePelmeni
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

Just as in the opening tracks thread, I'm excluding Wide Open, as I haven't got the album yet.
2. The Test
3. Surface To Air
4. The Pills Won't Help You Now
5. Wonders of The Deep
6. Dream On
7. Alive Alone
The devil is in the details

2. Wonders Of The Deep
3. Surface To Air
4. Dream On
5. The Test
6. The Pills Won't Help You Now
7. Alive Alone
8. Wide Open

1. The Test
2. The Pills Won't Help You Now
3. Surface To Air
4. Wonders Of The Deep
5. The Private Psychedelic Reel
6. Alive Alone
7. Dream On
8. Wide Open
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Test
3. Alive Alone
4. Dream On
5. Surface To Air
6. Wonders Of The Deep
7. The Pills Won't Help You Now
8. Wide Open

1 Private Psychedelic Reel
2. Surface to Air
3. The Test
4. Wide Open
5. Alive Alone
6. Wonders of the Deep
7. Dream On
8. The Pills Won't Help You Now
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

1. Private Psychedelic Reel
2. The Test
3. The Pills Won't Help You Now
4. Surface to Air
5. Dream On
6. Alive Alone
7. Wonders of the Deep
8. Wide Open

The reason i didnt do this thread after doing opening tracks was because i wasnt sure how i felt.  I absolutely love PPR, its right up there but in terms of closing an album, then perhaps others thing there are other tracks that close their albums better..so:
1. The Test - its so grand and is a lot longer than it seems and one of the best guest vocals ever
2. Wonders Of The Deep - it really feels like the end of the journey and further is their most complete journey
3. Alive Alone - someone should use this for the closing credits of a film and that bassline is just magnificent
4. The Private Psychedelic Reel. I know , i know but i feel like its ending isnt an ending, thats probably what they wanted, to leave us wanting more but its not as much of a full stop as some tracks, but i fucking love it but as closers go i dunno.  I would have preferred Where do i begin to be the closer tbh.
5. Wide Open - Beautiful
6. The Pills Won't Help You Now - I think they went for a big epic but didnt quite get there
7. Dream On. Tripped out etc but i always felt it was a weak track
8. Surface To Air - always ruined for me since they used an excerpt on Sky Sports News for ages before the album came out and when i heard a leaked copy i thought this track was a fake until it came out. They've done lots better

cue lots of people calling me a knobhead, probably

Knobhead
Never for money, always for love.

;D thought about deleting my last line now that you did that and then i thought, no thats a knobhead move. ;D

i guess i was hoping for a bit more discussion by putting PPR down the list but i think i was trying to look at the idea of the thread a bit differently.  And they have closed loads of gigs with PPR but i was just going off the fact that i still think the actual ending of it doesnt match the rest of it. But i know they did use I Am The Resurrection as a reference point and that has a similar ending and carries on whilst fading so i do get what they were about. 

knibhead
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely agree about PPR, Chops.
I put it at the top of my list cause I do think it's the best song on the list, and one of their best overall, but judging it by it's quality as a closer, I think it does a decent job, but nothing special. The segue at the end of Where Do I Begin completely kills the mood and goes on for way too long. It just kinda bothers me every time I hear it, wishing the song would just go on for a little longer and have a proper end.
I think the best closer is a tie between The Test and Wonders of The Deep. They're both so big in scale, and they fit in so well with the theme of their respective albums. They tie the knot so well.

Well, now I've got the album and had a chance to hear Wide Open (many times over)
I'm still figuring it out, but I like it. It feels like something from WATN and I'm not sure why.  It builds really slowly, and while I like that, I think it could do with a bit more of a flair at the very end. Maybe I'm just missing it's sutble qualities and maybe it'll grow on me, but I do still quite like it.

Quote from: Bendy1001 on Jul 29, 2015, 01:35

The segue at the end of Where Do I Begin completely kills the mood and goes on for way too long. It just kinda bothers me every time I hear it
Wait, what? I mean, what? What did you say, I mean, did I read correctly? Wait, let's read it again. Nope. What? What, what, what? And on the other hand, what? I can't comprehend, I don't understand.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

1. The Private Psychedelic Reel (of course !)
2. The Test
3. Surface To Air
4. Alive Alone
5. The Pills Won't Help  You Know
6. Wonders of the Deep
7. Dream On
8. Wide Open (make it 9th when the next album comes out cause I highky doubt it could be worse)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 02, 2015, 15:29

Wait, what? I mean, what? What did you say, I mean, did I read correctly? Wait, let's read it again. Nope. What? What, what, what? And on the other hand, what? I can't comprehend, I don't understand.
That cracked me up!
To each his own, I guess. I don't think it sounds terrible, just that it doesn't end the song well.  :P

Quote from: Bendy1001 on Aug 03, 2015, 09:34

That cracked me up!
To each his own, I guess. I don't think it sounds terrible, just that it doesn't end the song well.  :P
Don't worry :D
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)