The Darkness That You Fear!!!

Started by nalaknip, Apr 19, 2021, 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Thx a lot.
Daaaamn, so they used the mellotron!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

From everyone's email..

The wait is over and the new single from The Chemical Brothers has arrived! Listen now to "The Darkness That You Fear", a message of hope for our times.

That last sentence got me  :'(
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

What a track ! allready listened to it 10 times. love the vibe, the construction, the sounds. exactly what we need right now. the lockout anthem ! Chems are the strongest to get out summer and shining tracks, it's quite insane ! Some "surrender" spirit in it with "no geography" sound designing.
I love it. don't think it will work in live but i ask to be surprised !

if i have to give a mark, 8/10 !

I really dig it!
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

I was tempted to see how Midnight Madness would fit with TDTYF harmonies, so I used the vocals from the EBW 10's intro and mashed it with the last part.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 25, 2021, 20:56

I was tempted to see how Midnight Madness would fit with TDTYF harmonies, so I used the vocals from the EBW 10's intro and mashed it with the last part.

That actually worked out great! If the shoe fits then wear it  ;D

I myself played TDTYF in my mind ,but with the drum pattern borrowed from No Geography.

I think the new track will kick in somewhere mid-set when the bros go back on live.

I'm really loving this. Especially the full length, so many magical moments in there.

Personally I get more of a WATN feel than any other album. It feels like a spiritual successor to A Modern Midnight Conversation. It's got that big, bright, colourful electro sound going on too.
Definitely can see this being a big live hit. Though I also understand where Wolken and others are coming from with it not quite being their best. It could drift in and out of the set within a year or two - but that is because they have so many other absolutely legendary pieces of music, it would be hard to compete.

Super excited for what definitely feels like an album on its way. With or without this slab of Chemical Avalanche, it's going to be great!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 20, 2021, 22:48

paulfullerphoto007 on Instagram, clued us in about the origin of the artwork.

It's a piece by Terry Frost titled 'Yellow and Black Sun'

http://www.artnet.com/artists/terry-frost/yellow-and-black-sun-s9JRQSIV7siJvvCKCFMZ8A2

Edit: "Black Sun"

http://www.artnet.com/artists/terry-frost/black-sun-6IphchPsut26R9tkiPyvHA2

This is what @designmuseum have to say about this:

The sleeve for The Darkness That You Fear is from an artwork called 'Black Sun, 1978' by the revered British abstract artist, the late Sir Terry Frost. And the additional design layout comes courtesy of Tom Hingston.

Tom Hingston: "I've always been a big fan of Terry Frost's work, but when the band suggested this image, it was a piece I hadn't actually seen before. A joy to work with! It has a kind of vibrational quality, which seems to form a perfect synergy with the track."

no idea, no idea

This was released on my 50th Birthday after a very difficult year...we all had difficult years, right? I will always associate this track with my milestone and remember how it made me all emotional. And then, of course, the forum went down for a few days and I couldn't tell you about the dust in my eyes.

I've listened to the edit and the extended several times each and still haven't picked a favorite. I almost always gravitate to the longer cuts but I'm still undecided on this one: unlike some edits, this shorter version doesn't feel like it's missing anything. For me, this song invokes balance as a companion piece to No Geography (the track): funny enough, I've always wished that one was a bit longer.

I'm really looking forward to more new material.
Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021, 18:23 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

On the instagram I found the really interesting topic about some prodigy fans spotting the legendary Keith Flint.

Credits goes to the Nas/Electronic_Punk!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Here's an interesting approach of a remix. Could have had a little more going on, though, but I like the idea.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: whitelabel84 on Apr 23, 2021, 03:15

Brilliant tune, what the worlds needs right now: Chemicals & uplifting vibes ...
Looking forward to the b-side of the RSD 12" - Remix? Extended? EBW? Another new banger?
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen this link posted yet, but it definitely seems like we'll get a B-side, rather than this being a single-sided release, which the brothers have done often in the past.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13719

SIDE A: The Darkness You Fear
SIDE B: (To be revealed later)

SIDE A: The Darkness You Fear
SIDE B: (To be revealed later)

If I had to take a wild guess, I'll probably be a remix by some other dj or group.

Or, the radio edit

Or, a shelved b-side from NG (which I would prefer)

Quote from: inchemwetrust on May 05, 2021, 14:37

Or, the radio edit
Don't think so. The radio edit is streamable for a while now, so why the wait in announcing this as side b?

Quote from: inchemwetrust on May 05, 2021, 14:37

I'll probably be a remix by some other dj or group.

Or, a shelved b-side from NG (which I would prefer)
My bet is for a (more or less average) remix, even though i would prefer - like inchem - a b-side.
But streaming has killed b-sides because no one is releasing proper singles anymore [was any of the last "singles" released as chemsd?]...
no idea, no idea

anybody else feel like this could really neatly segue into saturate? when i listen to tdtyf i keep hearing the synth from saturate's breakdown and the big drums that are used in the believe transition
Eight or over.

Quote from: GLAKO-FAHN on May 05, 2021, 16:23

anybody else feel like this could really neatly segue into saturate? when i listen to tdtyf i keep hearing the synth from saturate's breakdown and the big drums that are used in the believe transition
Yeah, it shares some harmonies. I gave it a quick shot. Only the last bar sounds a bit off imo.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on May 08, 2021, 19:00

I gave it a quick shot.

can't hear saturate in that  ???
no idea, no idea

It's the short synth melody that comes in after the break and at the end of Saturate.
— Aurora (The Seed)