Just Remember ... to Fall In Love!

Which Dust-Up-Beats is which?

Started by WhiteNoise, Aug 27, 2015, 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, quick post on this, since this song has a very weird history. Dust-Up-Beats is a Dust Brothers era track, and was released in two versions (technically three, but we'll get to that later). Dust Up Beats originally popped up on the My Mercury Mouth EP in 1994. Early pressings of the MMM EP featured a different version of Dust Up Beats than later pressings. It's estimated that the first 50 pressings hold the different version, and there's no way of differentiating between an early copy and a later copy without playing the record.

Now for the versions:

The version most well known is the "Wipeout Version". It's got a hard pounding beat, a seriously shearing acid line and an intense vibe that doesn't let up for the entirety of the song. It's found on the Wipeout XL and Wipeout 2097 Soundtrack, and was also the version that Tom and Ed would play live in 1995 and 1996, generally as the show starter.

The version that is less well known I'll call "Non-Wipeout Version" just because it's less complicated to refer to it as that. This version is considerably less pounding and a lot more psychedelic/maximalist. It features a lot of "nin na" female vocal samples, fucked up guitar lines, and sampled string elements. It has never been played live or featured on any other releases. Some of the buildups in this version are the same as in the "Wipeout Version", and the two versions share many of the same drum samples. This version is often referred to as the "Original Mix" or sometimes the "Replaced Version" or "Eventually Replaced Version"

Here's where it gets complicated. In spite of being more well known, the Wipeout Version is actually the rare version that only appears on the early 50 copies of My Mercury Mouth EP. The Non-Wipeout Version is the replacement version that appears on all other copies of MMM EP.

For a very long time people have assumed that, since the Wipeout Version appeared on Wipeout XL / 2097 and in their live sets, and was generally better known, that the Wipeout Version must be the official version on most My Mercury Mouth EP copies, and the lesser known Non-Wipeout Version was the one that got replaced. Most people have treated this assumption as common knowledge, and it's only been recently that we've discovered our assumptions were wrong. We know this because when copies of MMM EP surface, the version on the record is almost invariably the Non-Wipeout Version. The Wipeout Version has only been discovered on a very small number of copies of MMM EP. I have personally only heard of 2 or 3 in existence.

The last bit of trivia: There's a third version of the track, and it's an extended version of the Wipeout Version. The 6 minute copy of the Wipeout Version that appears on the Wipeout XL/2097 Soundtrack cuts off a minute and a half intro. While it hasn't been confirmed that this extended intro appears on the 50 or so rare pressings of the MMM EP vinyl, it has surfaced on an extremely rare cassette promo version of the EP discovered by a non-forum member I'm in contact with. I have a rip of this extended version, and will share it to those of you I know (probably in the same manner as Guitar Tuned To D), once I get the chance!

It's been confirmed that the extended version with the minute and a half intro is the version that appears on the 50-or-so rare pressings, as well as that cassette. The Wipeout Soundtrack edited off the intro for the game (likely since the race would be over by the time the songs starts) - making a specially edited version of an incredibly rare track the de-facto version of the song.
Last Edit: Jan 16, 2019, 20:50 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 27, 2015, 18:39

The last bit of trivia: There's a third version of the track, and it's an extended version of the Wipeout Version. The 6 minute copy of the Wipeout Version that appears on the Wipeout XL/2097 Soundtrack cuts off a minute and a half intro. While it hasn't been confirmed that this extended intro appears on the 50 or so rare pressings of the MMM EP vinyl, it has surfaced on an extremely rare cassette promo version of the EP discovered by a non-forum member I'm in contact with. I have a rip of this extended version, and will share it to those of you I know (probably in the same manner as Guitar Tuned To D), once I get the chance!

That right there, my mind just exploded.

I have a rip of this extended version, and will share it to those of you I know (probably in the same manner as Guitar Tuned To D), once I get the chance!

Ooh! 
(something about your Discogs casette link doesn't work btw. I presume you meant THIS.)
Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015, 19:39 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Jeez, I should read other threads before replying. Sorry about the triple post in this third thread  ;D

Thanks for clearing al lot of things up WhiteNoise. I knew most bits about your post but a few confusion stuff has now been resolved. Now let my confirm some stuff.
First, Dust-up-beats (WipeOut version) to my knowledge only appears on the IN GAME soundtrack and not on the WipeOut cd soundtrack. WipE out XL and WipE out 2097 are the same games, XL is for the US/Japan market, 2097 is for the European market
Second, the intro is part of the Dust-up-beats (Wipe out version) on the 2nd version of the MMM EP. This has the same "uh, yeah, hear we go, come on" vocal sample of the live version.
A great way to hear that is on the live bootleg: http://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Beats/release/629477
"Intro" is actually Dust-up-beats (Wipe out version).
Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015, 22:07 by Joslyn

Amazing.
I'm 100% sure that not even Tom&Ed have such an encyclopedic knowledge of their records.

Quote from: Joslyn on Aug 27, 2015, 21:17

First, Dust-up-beats (WipeOut version) to my knowledge only appears on the IN GAME soundtrack and not on the WipeOut cd soundtrack. WipE out XL and WipE out 2097 are the same games, XL is for the US/Japan market, 2097 is for the European market

BUT the Wipeout 2097 game disc also plays as a soundtrack CD when you put it on your stereo (it confuses my computer though!).  Which is why I thought it was appropriate to put a pic of it in the "Show Me What You Got" thread today.

Details/tracklist HERE
Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015, 22:58 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

My brain hurts.  :))
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Okay everyone, PM me an email address that you'll check and I'll send you a copy. (I can already see your guy's emails as an admin, but I'd rather not abuse the power, and I don't know if you check the addresses you log in with).

Quote from: Skyscraper on Aug 27, 2015, 19:35

Ooh! 
(something about your Discogs casette link doesn't work btw. I presume you meant THIS.)
Ach, bad habits from the old forum days. Their BBcode required "s around the links, this one doesn't.

Thank you for this. I feels smart.

I have the MMM and I always assumed the difference lied in the intro like Chemical Beats did. Now I know.

Quote from: Stefan on Aug 27, 2015, 21:52

Amazing.
I'm 100% sure that not even Tom&Ed have such an encyclopedic knowledge of their records.
I imagine they plan intentionally confusing release patterns like this as a puzzle, and are reading this going "gaw, they found us out! on to a new puzzle then..."

I just played my copy of MMM just to be sure I had the wrong one. :(

If someone would be kind to tweet this to Tom, and maybe we can get some extra insight about this.

My theory Is this. ... maybe t and e wanted the Wipeout version to be printed on MMM in the first place, but maybe the vinyl pressing company accidentally pressed the wrong version (non Wipeout version) on the record. When tom, Ed , and the company found out about the mistake, they resume pressing the records, but with the Wipeout version. Later on, t and Ed found out that they were low on funds, and told the company to stop pressing MMM. So, when the last 50 copies were made, ther were the Wipeout versions (in which t and e wanted in the first place.)

I know i know! It's just a theory!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Wow! This whole time there's been a different version of Dust-Up Beats I've never heard! I can't remember where I got my D-U B, but it's the Wipeout version and I always thought it was a bit repetitive for a track that lasted 6 minutes, so I'm quite happy to see a version with more interesting stuff in it... Yet now I've heard it I actually think the Wipeout version is way more cool! ;D

So after reading Inchemwetrust's post above mine, I got thinking: Do we know for a fact that the 50 rare copies were the first 50, and not the last 50? That sounds less likely, but I know bugger all about music production, so I'd believe pretty much any explaination from a reliable source.
The devil is in the details

This topic surprised me. I've always thought the Wipeout / live version was the more common one on vinyl.... Says the guy that doesn't own a vinyl copy.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Thanks WN

There's a third version of the track, and it's an extended version of the Wipeout Version.
Wow, the intro build up is really cool - not as epic as some other CB-tracks, but really really nice. Wondering why this is only on the promo. Are they using a sample which they have legal trouble with? Maybe they should ask Pooter.
no idea, no idea

Indeed, thanks very much WN!  :music  It's almost a minute longer, and the start sounds much more natural than the Wipeout version.
Maybe they just needed to edit the track for Wipeout.
Then again...Looking at the Discogs listing for the first pressing, they have a time of 6.33 which is longer than wipeout but shorter than this rare cassette version. Assuming that the listed 6.33 timing is correct of course. maybe it isn't?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Wow, Thank you WN. The intro makes everything different, its a like a smooth transition to the initial punch, building up nicely to drop the bass and fill the room with great beats, awesome.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Sep 01, 2015, 22:46

Indeed, thanks very much WN!  :music  It's almost a minute longer, and the start sounds much more natural than the Wipeout version.
Maybe they just needed to edit the track for Wipeout.
Then again...Looking at the Discogs listing for the first pressing, they have a time of 6.33 which is longer than wipeout but shorter than this rare cassette version. Assuming that the listed 6.33 timing is correct of course. maybe it isn't?
It's gotta be wrong, 6:33 is the length of the common second pressing Non-Wipeout version. They probably just copied the data over.

Such a great thread! I didn't have any idea about it at all! Apparently I'm not a proper fan.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 02, 2015, 00:30

It's gotta be wrong, 6:33 is the length of the common second pressing Non-Wipeout version. They probably just copied the data over.
Well it's very tempting to assume then, that the cassette version is the same length as the "50 pressings" version, and that the Wipeout Edit simply had the intro....wiped out because the games people wanted a shorter edit.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The cassette version has the same lenght as the 50 pressings version. I played them simultamiously  and the're the same. You could argue that the vinyl sounds a bit deeper, more bass and the cassette seems to be more in the high notes, the vocal sample comes out clearer.

The in game wipe out version probably ditched the intro so the gamer gets right into the action with the pumping beats.