Listen to Your Heart

Uncharacteristically terrible songs from your favourite bands

Started by Enjoyed, Jan 23, 2018, 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic
The song below is what inspired this thread. I'm sure some here would put The Salmon Dance (or Denmark!?!?!) into this category but let's try to avoid The Chems' output as there's plenty of discussion on that already.

So. Groove Armada. Sure, not every track is a beast and there are definite weak points on albums (apart from Goodbye Country: Hello Nightclub of course, which is perfect) but this travesty just baffles me. Obviously a label decision but why would they go ahead with it? It doesn't sound like them, it's boring, kind of Basement Jaxxy but in the worse possible way... Even the mixing sounds half assed. It's just awful and it upsets me that it is considered part of their history (it actually just came up on an otherwise enjoyable compilation mix of theirs).

A real shame:
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Daft Punk's RocknRoll

I was originally gonna put Get Lucky on here (or any RAM song as I feel is not a real DP album but just another grammy grabber), but I would piss off the mainstream audience, so I put the worst of the duo. its just one big fat 8 minute loop of the same segment

"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Jimmy Eat World - Firestarter

Jamiroquai - Corner of the Earth

Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 23:12 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Not only did New Order have an album called Brotherhood before the Chems, they also had a track called Chemical. The album Republic had about four good songs on it and was clearly fleshed out by the band (barely talking to each other) in an attempt to make money for a flailing Factory Records (which went bust anyway). And this was perhaps the most filler-y track on that album. Perhaps their most filler-y track on any album. This despite the fact that the first 30 seconds sound...fine!

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Out of five songs listed here, two of them I really like  :o
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 23, 2018, 22:29

Jimmy Eat World - Firestarter

Oh man. This makes me appreciate the excellent version done for Just Cause 3 even more:

On topic, this below. I get why they did it, it's their cheeky little punk gabber track they threw on for fun, but WOW does it not fit on the album. Or anywhere in their discography. And it comes between the beautiful outro of Kein Trink Wasser which SHOULD flow perfectly into the intro of Are We Here.

This is the one thing stopping Snivilisation from being a 10/10.
Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018, 04:28 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

For whatever reason, I'm having a hard time thinking of an example. I think it has to do with how I digest music now. With my access to limitless music using streaming services, I don't get sour like I used to when I spent my hard earned money a particular album, I just move on to something else.

That being said, the last disaster of an album I can remember having a hard time getting over is Simian Mobile Disco's album 'Temporary Pleasure'

Highlighted by this flaming pile of shit:

Not my topic. I live DP's Rock 'n Roll, Jimmy's Firestarter and SMD's Audacity of huge,

I also like Rock n Roll and Audacity of Huge  :(

There's a good part of Amon Tobin's ISAM I don't like but this one takes the cake:

Same goes for Gorillaz' latest album, but this is honestly one of the most unbearable things I ever heard:

Quote from: Joslyn on Jan 24, 2018, 13:32

Not my topic. I live DP's Rock 'n Roll, Jimmy's Firestarter and SMD's Audacity of huge,
I love Jimmy Eat World, but their version of Firestarter isn't good in my opinion. Even their try on Last Christmas is better.
no idea, no idea

Yeah, this thread is completely subjective cause I I don't hate Sex,Murder,Party, but I don't love it. However, I thought it was one of the better live tracks I saw this summer.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jan 24, 2018, 04:15

Oh man. This makes me appreciate the excellent version done for Just Cause 3 even more:

On topic, this below. I get why they did it, it's their cheeky little punk gabber track they threw on for fun, but WOW does it not fit on the album. Or anywhere in their discography. And it comes between the beautiful outro of Kein Trink Wasser which SHOULD flow perfectly into the intro of Are We Here.

This is the one thing stopping Snivilisation from being a 10/10.

Quality seconds are saved spent skipping Quality Seconds. Whenever I listen to Sniv, I always take this song out.

This one is easy for me, Beck's Colors album, specifically this song:
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an intriguing thread here.

Here's my contribution:

I can't listen to the entire track. It's awful and cheesy, and apparently it was supposed to come off all like all harder edged or something?

Quote from: neorev on Jan 27, 2018, 19:12

The Chemical Brothers - Wo Ha
I thought we weren't doing Chemical Brothers on this thread.

Quote from: neorev on Jan 27, 2018, 19:12

Need I same more?

Didn't even deserve to be considered a bonus track
Well now you've brought it up, I'm gonna say more: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm as sure as I can be (without knowing) that Wo Ha and Let Us Build a City were written for soundtrack purposes (Now You See Me). 

As has been pointed out by others on this forum, music from the Hanna soundtrack has been re-used in a Hunger Games film and a Blade Runner 2049 prequel film.
I would like to think that these BITE bonus tracks might also find their way onto someone's film(s) at some point. They might be abolutely perfect for something, somewhere. But if they aren't "out there", that won't happen.

Adam Smith mentioned a "version 1" of the Trespass soundtrack which he didn't use because it sounded "too Chemical Brothers". I would be very surprised if any of the three new (DJ) tracks we have heard came from that unreleased version of the soundtrack. So we remain in the dark about that unused soundtrack material. I would much rather it got somehow released so we could make out own minds up about it, rather than remain buried in a Chemical vault at Tom's house. So I say: release this stuff. ALL of it!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

and i like let us build a city because it sounds like a leftover or behind the couch track from the dyoh-era to me
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jan 28, 2018, 02:05

I thought we weren't doing Chemical Brothers on this thread.
Well now you've brought it up, I'm gonna say more: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm as sure as I can be (without knowing) that Wo Ha and Let Us Build a City were written for soundtrack purposes (Now You See Me). 
That does seem possible. There's some sort of jam session feeling to it and the soundscape would definately fit a movie scene with all the percussion and playful noises going on.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jan 28, 2018, 02:05

Adam Smith mentioned a "version 1" of the Trespass soundtrack which he didn't use because it sounded "too Chemical Brothers". I would be very surprised if any of the three new (DJ) tracks we have heard came from that unreleased version of the soundtrack. So we remain in the dark about that unused soundtrack material. I would much rather it got somehow released so we could make out own minds up about it, rather than remain buried in a Chemical vault at Tom's house. So I say: release this stuff. ALL of it!
What are they hiding? #releasetheSOUNDTRACK

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 28, 2018, 04:24

and i like let us build a city because it sounds like a leftover or behind the couch track from the dyoh-era to me
Yeah, that one is awesome. Come let us let us let us let us let us build build build aaaaaa ccccccitayyyy.

Back to topic, Prodigy's collab with the SleafordMods on Ibiza is one hell of a train wreck.

Oh and btw, I quite like that Back song up there. The beat is funky.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)