So We Rollin' With the Chemicals and We Got the New Sound

The new Live setup!

Started by KNE, Jul 04, 2015, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic
What do you guys think of their new setup? They got rid of the old Synth rack design, added more lasers and I believe I see a LED screen in front of another that gives a glowy sparkle effect to images off the other screen. Lovely eye candy.  (This could be moved to The Social, sorry)
Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015, 21:57 by KNE

Looks less bulkier than previous setups imo. Less cluttery perhaps?

Last Edit: Jul 05, 2015, 07:26 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I'm happy with their new set up. It seems less is more in terms of gear, and more is more in terms of lasers and robots, haha!

Good to see the wire spaghetti monster lives, though. :D A Chemical Brothers show is the only acceptable time for exposed wires!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Wasn't it due to Ed's committments that they reduced their gear to a minimum this time around? I also remember them saying they wanted to 'tone down' the show a little. But don't pin me down on that. I guess Mr. Smith has a lot on his hands with lights and now some synths too. He couldn't really walk around, I suppose.
Last Edit: Jul 05, 2015, 15:50 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 05, 2015, 15:47

I also remember them saying they wanted to 'tone down' the show a little.
If by "tone down" they meant  Laser Rave Robots 10 meters tall, then I'm fine with that :-D

Also relevant:
http://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/605708518361067520

Quote from: Stefan on Jul 05, 2015, 16:27

Matt Cox also tweets nice pictures:
http://twitter.com/Midimatt001/status/610149633470414848

https://twitter.com/Midimatt001

Matt's fun journey of setting up the electronic battle weapons. It's amazing to see that even with less gear this time around, everything builds up to something immensely powerful.

Although this video suffers from VVS and is quite shakey (intentionally?), it offers some cool behind-the-scenes footage:

:o thats too awesome! always wanted to see the tech side of the live show.. im sure i wouldnt be able to record steady shots.

What would I give to see seomthing like this about/with the Chemicals

And the interviewer here really knows her business!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 23, 2015, 22:41

What would I give to see seomthing like this about/with the Chemicals

And the interviewer here really knows her business!

That would be like, the best documentary ever made in the history of mankind (Ok, I'm exaggerating with this one)

2015 Gear list : (will update)
Soundcraft console
Native Instruments Maschine Studio
Elektron Machinedrum
Elektron Monomachine SFX60
Future Retro Revolution
Roland Juno 106
Roland Jupiter 6
Roland SH-101
Korg Mono/Poly
Korg MS10
Dave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver
Clavia Nord Modular G2
Octave Cat
Octave Kitten
Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (x2)
Ableton Live
Ableton Push

I see Hoops on that midi sync list. Yes, please. I'd like a Hoops.

I wonder what Mind Response and Mark 1 are?
Never for money, always for love.

Mostly related, stumbled upon a behind the scenes rundown from Marc Swadel who worked on the Don't Think movie. A good bit of substance and nitty gritty details on their film equipment: http://www.nzcine.com/dont-think-marc-swadel/
Never for money, always for love.

Chemical Brothers workstation

— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 03, 2015, 10:27

Chemical Brothers workstation

Electronic Battle Weapon Control Center

What a nice video! I was gonna say, Adam didn't seem to play samples as much on the octopad as Ed would, but in SF he walked off stage w/a pair of drumsticks. That was pretty rock and/or roll.
The FR Revolution was a nice add on, got rid of the 777 as they overlap a bit.

Seems like they removed the MonoMachine keyboard and replaced the midi keyboard triggers with the Ableton Push. I'm curious as to why they use Push, if it's only for sample triggering, why not using a Launchpad instead ?

They might use Push because they switched to Ableton a while ago. Maybe crashing issues? I think live triggers are mostly done by the Octapad. Push might be for queuing stuff (layers or different synth lines), though it's hard to say at this point.