Do It Again

Mixed Chemicals (The Old Mixed Bag thread...)

Started by satur8, Apr 12, 2020, 23:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello friends.

During this unusual time I would like to share my collection of mixes featuring The Chemical Brothers. Over the years I've had fun making them, but due to specific issues with Mixcloud, I've had difficulty posting them for streaming. I've decided to take a chance and just post them here via a dropbox link. PLEASE let me trust humanity and just take what you want for your own personal entertainment. All files are 320 kbps mp3 with track lists in .txt format. Feel free to PM me if you have better suggestions, and if the admins want me to remove the link pending PM approval, I can do that, too.

The old forum had a spot for fan mixes and maybe we can centralize them all here, too. These are mine and the link is at the very bottom.

CB8 - Secret Psychedelic Surrender –Surrender in the form of a flashback. Dedicated to the fans...and possibly my best CB work.
CB7 - Some Geography – Includes the No Geography era and highlights from my mediocre first mix,  CB1-Electronic Battle Scars.
CB6 - ReBorn in the Echoes v2 (Japan Special Edition) –  Inspired by Born in the Echoes...but with more C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L. One of my best, please check it out.
CB5 - ReBorn in the Echoes – An early take on Born in the Echoes.
CB4 – FurtherMore – My most popular mix here, with a focus on Further it includes forum mixes from Further Remixed. (Thank you!)
CB3 - What I Feel – Not a hugely popular one, but you should feel what I feel.  8) I am still fond of this one.
CB2 - Dusty Beats – The Dust Brothers Era: that big beat flat EQ mixtape sound in the style of the 1 & 2.

I am HAPPY to share these and hope you enjoy them. I'm not as talented with modern audio tech as many of you are here, but I do have a background with live sets on vinyl and CD. It was always more of a hobby for me anyway, but over time I've developed a bit of a unique style and I've made the Chemical Brothers a part of it.  Some of these mixes have been posted on the older forum and ALL new feedback is welcome. In my opinion, my work seems to be like Star Trek films: the even-numbered ones tend to be more popular. And oh yeah, CB6, CB7, & CB8 are all new to this group (and I think many of you will like them). Also, some of you may have missed CB2 the first time around: check it out, it's 80 minutes of classics.

CB8 - Secret Psychedelic Surrender

Hey Boy Hey Girl
Hey Boy Hey Girl - Kink Extended Remix      
Surrender   
The Diamond Sky      
Let Forever Be
Let Forever Be - The Secret Psychedelic Mix   
Power Move
Asleep from Day   
Electronic Battle Weapon 4   
Flashback - The Secret Psychedelic Mix
Under The Influence
Out Of Control - Sasha Club Mix
Enjoyed
Studio K
The Sunshine Underground
Got Glint
Music- Response
Dream On - The Secret Psychedelic Mix
Dream On   

Other 'Freaks of the Week' hidden in this flashback include:
Scale
Flashback
Orange Wedge   
Out Of Control   
Out Of Control - 21 Minutes Of Madness Mix - The Secret Psychedelic Mix

CB7 - Some Geography

Part 1 : No Geography mini-mix
No Geography   
The Universe Sent Me (Instrumental & Original)
Free Yourself   
[Bango]
Got To Keep On (Extended Mix)
Fantai
MAH (Electronic Battle Weapon Version)
[Eve Of Destruction]

Part 2 : highlights from CB1 - Electronic Battle Scars
Electronic Battle Weapon 9
Base 6
The Salmon Dance (Crookers Wow Mix)
Hey Boy Hey Girl (Soulwax Remix)
[Wonders Of The Deep]
Pourquoi
Don't Think
Electronic Battle Weapon 8
Electronic Battle Weapon 6
Swiper

CB6 - ReBorn in the Echoes v2 (Japan Special Edition)

Song To The Siren / Leave Home (intro)
C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L
Sometimes I Feel So Deserted (Skream Remix)
EML Ritual
Direct Buki
Just Bang  w/ Go (Edge of Control Dub)
Under Neon Lights
Tutti Frutti (Tom Rowlands Remix) - New Order
Wo Ha
Go (Special Request Warehouse Remix - Paul Woolford)
Go (Claude VonStroke Remix)
Reflexion (Extended Mix)
I'll See You There
Wide Open (Kölsch Remix)
Wide Open (By the Light of the Moon Mix)
Radiate

CB5 - ReBorn in the Echoes

Sometimes I Feel So Deserted
Go (Claude VonStroke Remix)
EML Ritual
Direct Buki
Just Bang
Under Neon Lights
XTC (The Chemical Brothers remix) - Boys Noize
Horse Power/Swoon
Go (Special Request Warehouse Remix - Paul Woolford)
Go (Edge Of Control Dub)
Wo Ha
Nothing But Pleasure - Tom Rowlands
Reflexion (Extended Mix)
I'll See You There
Swoon (Don Diablo Remix)
Wide Open
Radiate

CB4 - FurtherMore

Snow (Sonic Tramp Remix)
K+D+B
The Devil Is In The Beats
Don't Think (Eis-T Remix)
Swoon (Boys Noize Summer Remix)
XTC (The Chemical Brothers Remix) - Boys Noize
Do It Again (Oliver Huntemann Remix)
Klaxons - Love Frequency (Tom Rowlands Remix)
Another World (Polymath Remix)
Through Me - Tom Rowlands
Get Yourself High (Switches Rely On Dub)
Horse Power (Popof Remix)
Nothing But Pleasure - Tom Rowlands
It Doesn't Matter
Hey Boy, Hey Girl (Soulwax Remix)
Dissolve (NDG Remix)
Elektrobank (Original) / (Dust Brothers Remix)
Wonders Of The Deep (Edwardo Torres Remix)
Don't Think
Pourquoi (Rhythm Scholar Dead Pixels Remix)
Escape Velocity (Eddie Pedalo Remix) / (White Noise's Binary Star Remix) / (original)

[Some tracks taken from Further Remixes - All tracks are used with love and respect.]

CB3 - What I Feel

The Test
Otter Rock
H.I.A
Hey Boy Hey Girl (Tim Davison Mix)
Star Guitar (Peter Heller's Expanded Mix)
Enjoyed
Studio K
Surface To Air
Hoops
Pioneer Skies
The Sunshine Underground
We Are The Night
Chemical Beats (Dave Clarke Remix)
The Private Psychedelic Reel

CB2 - Dusty Beats

Patrol (Chemical Brothers Mix) - The Charlatans
Song To The Siren
Connection No. 1 - Harpoon (Tom Rowlands)
Let Me In Mate
Packet of Peace (Chemical Brothers Remix) - Lionrock
Dust-Up-Beats (original version)
In Dust We Trust
Tow Truck (Chemical Brothers Mix) - The Sabres Of Paradise
T-Baby (The Dust Brothers Remix)  - Ariel (with Tom Rowlands)
Fuck Up Beats
Loops OF Fury
Chemical Beats
Three Little Birdies Down Beats
My Mercury Mouth
(The Best Part Of) Breaking Up
Morning Lemon
These Beats Are Made For Breakin'
Prescription Beats
Life Is Sweet (Remix 1 / Remix 2)
Her Jazz
Song To The Siren (Sabre 100% Chunk Mix)

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2lhc323t5sxevg9/AABs7nw1tnxf74xju5qROPxCa?dl=0

-------
EDIT - 4/26 - CB8 .txt track list re-uploaded

Last Edit: Sep 10, 2023, 18:19 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I've already listened to CB8 mix and it's sublime!
Good work as always, Satur8!
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Sandelic - Thank you for listening! I'm glad it was enjoyed.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I really thought you guys might like the new mixes. In particular, the Born In the Echoes mix with the Japanese bonus material is pretty tight and I specifically had this group in mind when creating the Surrender mix: it's layered for the hardcore fans. I think the No Georgraphy mix is fun too, even if it's short.

Most of us are stuck at home and I thought new takes on the albums would be welcomed. This thread got buried pretty quiclkly but life is weird right now and maybe it was missed. I hope you give these a second chance.

I'll be checking it out, Satur8. I didn't mean to ignore, but I took a self appointed "leave" from the internet before easter in hopes to clean the soul a bit (didn't work). So I'm only aware of this now.

I really love that you have shared these and have enjoyed your mixes in the past. I'm working through this batch and had a nice solid listening session (and time away in my new little studio/library sanctuary) away from routine, stresses, everyone, the uncertain and scary world outside. I found the CB8 mix to be the perfect accompaniment to my late Sunday afternoon and am looking forward to digging in more this weekend. And share some thoughts in this little sanctuary here.

I do like the accompanying texts, very kind and generous nods to our little community, too ❤️
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Thanks, Bosco. I know it's such a weird time and I didn't mean to imply you or anyone ignored me. I hope you like these.

And thank you, too, whirly. I'm so glad you could listen in your happy place. It means a lot and I would definitely love to hear your thoughts.

Alrighty, I've downloaded the missing mixes and am ready to dive in. Already had great listen to Connors live mix the other day too and I'm looking forward to these. Opening with The Test in CB03 seems pretty interesting!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Just finished your What I Feel mix and I loved it. You really put an effort into tying all the songs seamlessly together which makes for some really beautiful and interesting transitions that sometimes even open up new perspectives on what one could do with certain tracks.

Especially these ones:

• The Test into Otter Rock (the guitar drone and the Test's outro could almost be the starting point for an entriely new track of its own or a live set seque)
  • Star Guitar (Pete's Dub) into Enjoyed (hmm, yum-yum)
  • Hoops into Pioneer Skies (the vocals of Hoops fit so darn well with the harmonies of Skies)
  • Sunshine Underground into WATN
The most outstanding though is the closing suite of Clarke's Chemical Beats and TPPR. It's almost perfect and it gives a fresh perspective on TPPR's opening.

There are only one or two minor things I could "complain" about. I think the segue between Surface to Air and Hoops sounds a little "off" as their harmonies don't go that well together, imo. And I probably wouldn't have included the HBHG remix due personal taste and maybe would have combined Studio K and Sunshine elements instead of having the latter appear separately.

But these points didn't have any impact on the overall experience at all! It was fun through and through.
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 07:57 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thanks, Csar, I appreciate you checking it out and replying.

That one is an older mix and I think some of newer ones have a better flow, but the Star Guitar outro is a highlight for me , too. I actually blended Studio K and Sunshine on the Surrender mix (CB8), so I think you'll like that if you get to it.

I just got my first taste of your mixes last night, and CB2 was awesome.

Throughout this quarantine period, I try and avoid the day crowd and go for a walk every night while typically listening to the Norm Macdonald podcast (they last about an hour). But last night I subbed in your CB2- Dusty Beats mix and it was absolutely refreshing.

I have not listened to the old remixes/ b-sides in quite some time, and your mix has me freakin pumped! I'm longing for the late summer nights where I had my Chrysler LeBaron convertible pumping the shit out stuff like this on my shitty stereo.

Thanks Satur8, can't wait to checkout the others!

The transitions from Song to the siren into Harpoon and Fuckup Beats to Loops of fury, just Mmm-MMM!!!! :music

Three little birdies into My Mecury Mouth. Ecstacy!!!
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Thanks guys! I am very fond of their big beat era myself.

I wish there were higher quality versions for the Dusty Beats stuff, but it looks like remasters are not in the cards.

I joked about it earlier, but similar to the Star Trek movies, my even numbered mixes seem to be the more interesting work. I love that anyone listens to any of them, but I personally recommend CB8, CB6, & CB4 first (along with CB2).
Last Edit: Apr 29, 2020, 12:52 by satur8

I was in the mood for some good Chemicals, so I continued your mix series.

The pick for tonight was the Secret Psychedelic Surrender mix, and it was the right one! Again, the way you choose most of your transitions is great and pleasently surprising in various places. Like the very first HBHG/Kink one, it gave the usual HBHG thing a new vibe (I hadn't checked the tracklist yet so this came unexpected). Even though I wasn't/ am not a huge fan of the Kink mix as a standalone, in this context, it worked just quite well though.
Winners for tonight were the Diamond Sky (one of my favorites of this era) and Let Forever Be. Music:Response and Psychedelic Dream On were a wonderful closer duo.
Minor nitpick: I wished you would have cut straight from Studio-K into Sunshine's second "chapter" and omitted its intro part to keep up the dance flow.

Three more to go!
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 20:45 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thanks Csar. I appreciate the feedback and am really glad you enjoyed it. It's cool that you mentioned  the HBHG part: I wanted something shocking right from the start. I prefer the Soulwax remix  to the Kink one, but since I've used it twice before I decided to try something different. I'm pleased it worked.

I have to admit, the Let Forever Be and Dream On 'mashes' are highlights for myself, as well.

Another part I like is Asleep From Day's outro. I've had that in my back pocket for a long time and originally tried the entire track, but it slowed the mix down too much. It's unfortunate that the Studio/Sunshine part does the same, I didn't want that. I actually tried what you've described (it works) I but just couldn't break up Sunshine: it's up there with TPPR for me. Then I moved it to the end as a closer, but it took away from the Dream On outro, so I put it back. I'm not unhappy with the way it sounds, but I definitely see your point.

I love the feedback, thank you. I hope it's not weird that I respond but I like discussing my process if people want to listen. I don't have local friends that understand this as my artistic outlet.

So...If you're going to keep listening and like Born In The Echoes, I recommend CB6 next.