Remember, Remember, No Geography

Movie recommendations thread

Started by Mob1, Aug 20, 2015, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Please recommend your favorite movies and movies that you've recently watched and liked a lot for us to check out!
Two movies I really love are  "Pi" (1998) by Aronofsky, and "Waking Life" (2001) by Linklater. Both are quite dreamy and cool in their own way.
One that I watched recently that was fairly good is the "The Way of the gun" (2000) by McQuarrie. It's like a flick from back when Tarantino was great.

share your movies with us!

That was brilliant.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Beware, explicit content
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

ugh, this is about your favorite movies, not movies and series you are currently watching.
but whatever, i can't delete this.

My favorite movie of all time is Blade Runner. Its been my favorite movie pretty much since 1985. I re watched it recently for probably the 150th time (the Final Cut) and there are scenes that still take my breath away. It's opulent cinematic eye candy, and really. It's just flawless. It seems every time I watch it, I notice something I haven't noticed before, or haven't thought about in a very long time.

There have been amazing movies since, and some movies I've loved almost as much. But I think Blade Runner will always be my favorite (except the theatrical cut with that horrible narration... I can't even... Ever again)

So yeah. That's my top recommendation, though it's considered a cinematic Classic at this point and you've probably seen it, it's worth a revisit.

Two other films in a similar vein (but grittier and less grandiose than Blade Runner) are 1. Children of Men, which had some of the most powerful, poignant, single-shot scenes I've watched in film, one of which reduced me to tears, and 2.) Snow Piercer which competely took me by surprise, with Tilda Swinton channeling Margaret Thatcher at her most sinister.

Can you tell I'm a fan of dystopian sci-fi? ;)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

It's always been hard for me to decide my favourite movie. At one point, I'd have said The Good The Bad and The Ugly, but I think it's charm has worn off since I first watched it. At the moment, the best answer I can give is Alien. It isn't the most I've ever enjoyed a movie, nor the most I've ever found a movie interesting, but every time I think about it, it just seems more amazing. I really, really, really don't like horror movies. Honestly, I can't think of a single horror film besides Alien I didn't think was kinda crap, including Halloween. Yet, despite my lack of love for horror, Alien just hits me right to my core every time I watch it. It's not as engaging or scary as it was the first time I watched it, but the film still manages to keep me interested in all subsequent watches, since it really makes you engage and connect with the cast. It's not just a regular horror film, it's a meticulously crafted nerve-wracking experience and I love it to death. I could bang on about all my thoughts and observations on Alien for hours, and I kinda want to, but I feel I've just about reached my limit on voicing my opinion without wasting your time. Suffice it to say that Alien is really damn good.
The devil is in the details

'It Follows' is a pretty fresh and interesting horror movie.

Simple and nicely shot. I recommend.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bendy1001 on Aug 21, 2015, 14:38

It's always been hard for me to decide my favourite movie. At one point, I'd have said The Good The Bad and The Ugly, but I think it's charm has worn off since I first watched it. At the moment, the best answer I can give is Alien. It isn't the most I've ever enjoyed a movie, nor the most I've ever found a movie interesting, but every time I think about it, it just seems more amazing. I really, really, really don't like horror movies. Honestly, I can't think of a single horror film besides Alien I didn't think was kinda crap, including Halloween. Yet, despite my lack of love for horror, Alien just hits me right to my core every time I watch it. It's not as engaging or scary as it was the first time I watched it, but the film still manages to keep me interested in all subsequent watches, since it really makes you engage and connect with the cast. It's not just a regular horror film, it's a meticulously crafted nerve-wracking experience and I love it to death. I could bang on about all my thoughts and observations on Alien for hours, and I kinda want to, but I feel I've just about reached my limit on voicing my opinion without wasting your time. Suffice it to say that Alien is really damn good.

Alien is fucking brilliant. And it is definitely a much higher clalibre than a regular horror slasher flick. Its sci-fi, but in terms of horror films it is psychologically jacked up, and that's what gives it its edge. I love it, and it's one of my favorite movies.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 21, 2015, 14:39

'It Follows' is a pretty fresh and interesting horror movie.

Simple and nicely shot. I recommend.

Watched yesterday!!! One of the best horror movies in years.... Great electronic music also
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: Mob1 on Aug 20, 2015, 19:31

Two movies I really love are  "Pi" (1998) by Aronofsky, and "Waking Life" (2001) by Linklater. Both are quite dreamy and cool in their own way.

If you like dreamy like films go watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A very unexpected movie in my opinion, also you can check Eraserhead from David Lynch, that's some fuck up movie but it's worthy. Also watch Moon and I origins, very good sci fi films.

Thanks for Eraserhead!!
I had seen Mulholand Drive, Twin Peaks and Lost highways over  20 times but never Eraserhead.
awesome film!!!!!!!!

If you like Eraserhead try Videodrome or Naked Lunch.

Quote from: Nils VIP on Aug 26, 2015, 15:13

Videodrome
That movie. It's very stimulating.
Videodrome is my favorite movie, I once showed it to my 17y old cousins and they were WTFing all over the place.
Guess I'm a sick sick bastard, one sandwich short of a picnic basket
Love Naked Lunch too.
Keep it up with the ricomendations!

Jacob's Ladder, Possession, Spring, Tokyo Gore Police.