Life Is Sweet

Rio Olympic Games 2016

Started by Bosco, Aug 05, 2016, 19:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Pollution, Plagues, Plundering, Poverty, Poopies!

Rio has it all!

Lets get this party started!

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 05, 2016, 19:48

Pollution, Plagues, Plundering, Poverty, Poopies!

Rio has it all!

Lets get this party started!

For some reason, the beginning of this theme reminds me of this

Im not that hyped for this years event due to whats going on in Brazil, but Basketball, Track and Field, and Soccer are what I'm down for!

;D ;D ;D  Oh and this!!!

Netherlands' Ellen Hoog (Field Hockey)

Mikaela Mayer – United States (Boxing)

Jaqueline Carvalho – Brazil (Volleyball)
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Well, Inchemwetrust got right to it. Yes, there is no denying of the limitless beauty in these competitions.

As for the competitions, I like the whitewater canoe/kayak slalom. It's not that fun of a watch but it looks incredibly fun to do. How fantastic would it be if they actually utilized the Amazon river and made an "adventure" racing competition! Watch out for that Vampire fish!

And lets not forgot team Germany's Velodrome thighs, which are always a good laugh.

My adopt a country of 10 or less athletes is Namibia. If they medal you all owe me a dollar. 

I'm looking forward to collective sports, where France has good chances of medal (handball, volleyball, women and men basketball, women football, waterpolo), and I can't wait to watch Team USA crush everybody in basketball, even without Curry or Lebron James.

Cycling today. Even Tom and Ed will be watching that. Maybe a Dutch metal?

Quote from: Joslyn on Aug 06, 2016, 08:29

I need some more of that to wake me up today. Stayed up too late watching the opening ceremony last night. I thought it was good though - the parcour, the projections on the floor, Brazilian chics in silver boiler suits...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Aug 06, 2016, 10:42

I need some more of that to wake me up today. Stayed up too late watching the opening ceremony last night. I thought it was good though - the parcour, the projections on the floor, Brazilian chics in silver boiler suits...
It was sooooo long though ! I didn't last to the end

Quote from: Joslyn on Aug 06, 2016, 08:29

I watched a little bit of this just now, and all I saw was crashes on the descent down the hill. There were so many tight twists and turns and so little peddling. I'm no cycling expert but I can imagine the competitors are not all that thrilled with the conditions of the course.

Horrible, horrible injury  :o

Warning: graphic content
Last Edit: Aug 07, 2016, 14:24 by Ben_j

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 06, 2016, 17:56

I watched a little bit of this just now, and all I saw was crashes on the descent down the hill. There were so many tight twists and turns and so little peddling. I'm no cycling expert but I can imagine the competitors are not all that thrilled with the conditions of the course.

They showed some cyclists hitting the nets on the curves. Just heartening to see that and what they're going through.

But what a great race and a comeback at the end with those 3 riders!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Ben_j on Aug 06, 2016, 20:01

Horrible, horrible injury  :o

Warning: graphic content

video doesn't work for me but I did catch a .gif on twitter.

absolutely brutal. Did it end up breaking skin? Paul George (NBA and current Team USA basketball player) had the same thing happen a few years back.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 07, 2016, 01:20

video doesn't work for me but I did catch a .gif on twitter.

absolutely brutal. Did it end up breaking skin? Paul George (NBA and current Team USA basketball player) had the same thing happen a few years back.

I don't know but the leg bent in three is a brutal enough sight. I remember Paul George's injury, it was painful to watch as well

My adopt-a-country Namibia is like the bad news bears.

One of my competitors was arrested for rape:
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/11/12442492/olympics-2016-boxing-namibia-jonas-junias-arrest

Then I have a cyclist that "DNF"(did not finish) the road competition and subbed as a participant in a very comical Time Trial story:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1593255/rio-2016-olympics-namibian-cyclist-dan-craven-quips-about-his-magical-tweeting-beard-and-was-sipping-beer-when-he-asked-twitter-fans-to-decide-whether-to-ride-time-trial/

My final chances at a medal are tomorrow with the ladies marathon and closing day with the men's marathon. Not looking good.

Honestly, Rio has been horribly boring. The competitions have been feeling rather one sided or maybe that has been me exposed to, too much USA coverage. I miss the days were I had animosity towards China, Romania, or Russia. Now we leave them in the dust.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 13, 2016, 20:35

Then I have a cyclist that "DNF"(did not finish) the road competition and subbed as a participant in a very comical Time Trial story:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1593255/rio-2016-olympics-namibian-cyclist-dan-craven-quips-about-his-magical-tweeting-beard-and-was-sipping-beer-when-he-asked-twitter-fans-to-decide-whether-to-ride-time-trial/
This is very funny!

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 13, 2016, 20:35

Honestly, Rio has been horribly boring. The competitions have been feeling rather one sided or maybe that has been me exposed to, too much USA coverage. I miss the days were I had animosity towards China, Romania, or Russia. Now we leave them in the dust.

Imagine what it's like being from a small country with zero medals so far. It gets a bit tedious watching other people celebrating. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the cycling road races so much - a chance to watch other people risk their lives. Now that was exciting even for the neutral!

However being from Ireland, I'm pleased to report that we do at least have one silver medal to our name now. Our heroes' interview below probably doesn't come across as particularly ambassadorial for any country, but I can't stop laughing at it.

For a transcript and further embedded interviews, have a look at this: What's the craic?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

lol

They look like they made a quick stop at the pub for a drink or 10. Or maybe that's just my knee -jerk reaction to thick Irish accents, as it's common practice to mimic one after a night of drinking here in America.

For real though, it most be a pretty cool experience competing on the same team, with a family member at the Olympics.

The GB Track Cycling team is on incredible form yet again.

Laura Trott absolutely demolished everyone last night.

One more day of the good stuff.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I stayed up late last night to watch the last trials of the decathlon (with a french guy snatching the silver medal, very close to Eaton, who's basically the best decathlete ever), I can't even understand how they handle this. They all ended laying on the floor after the last trial (1500m), most of them visibly in pain.

I'm very sad about how Tony Parker's last ever game with the French basketball team turned out... He deserved a better exit than that :/