Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

n00b Corner! Introduce yourself here!

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 26, 2015, 03:15

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi and Good Morning, I'm Acky from Scotland 52 year and been a Chemicals fan since their inception. I've travelled far and wide to loose my mind at their gigs. Im just back from London, was at The Printworks to witness them and their blistering DJ set where they blew the roof of the building with....pease and love to all Brother & Sisters

Hi Acky snd welcome to the forum. Nice you found your way to out little chemical refuge. Following them for so long, you must have some nice anecdotes to share, I guess.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Hey! I'm quite active on the Piku Playground discord server and thought I'd finally muster up the courage to make an account on here too :)

about me, I'm a teenager who basically grew up with the chems because of my awesome parents and I've loved music for my whole life! I have this little drum machine and 303 clone groovebox and a chord synthesizer (roland t-8 and j-6 respectively) which my friend and I recently used for this live performance at my school! it went ok lol

from what i've seen this forum is awesome and I can't wait to chat! excited for nrtl too!

Quote from: sulky on Mar 08, 2023, 22:20
I have this little drum machine and 303 clone groovebox and a chord synthesizer (roland t-8 and j-6 respectively) which my friend and I recently used for this live performance at my school! it went ok lol
That's so awesome!

I remember somehow convincing a "rock" band that I was in at school (we played a lot of Dreamtheater and Metallica covers) to do a cover version of Galvanize. It also went ok!

Anywho, welcome!! Perfect timing with news of new music starting to seep out. There'll be lots of chatter over the next months for sure!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: sulky on Mar 08, 2023, 22:20
I have this little drum machine and 303 clone groovebox and a chord synthesizer (roland t-8 and j-6 respectively) which my friend and I recently used for this live performance at my school
First off, Welcome to brother/sister/sibling hood! Ha! you got the inverted NRTL colours avatar. Nice!  

I remember in a music production class in high school trying to recreate Setting Sun on an old Roland DS-20. It sounded like a bad chip-tune / midi / amiga version. Keep it up!  
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 08, 2023, 23:15
Anywho, welcome!! Perfect timing with news of new music starting to seep out. There'll be lots of chatter over the next months for sure!
Thanks! I can't wait!

Quote from: rynostar on Mar 08, 2023, 23:27
First off, Welcome to brother/sister/sibling hood! Ha! you got the inverted NRTL colours avatar. Nice! 

I remember in a music production class in high school trying to recreate Setting Sun on an old Roland DS-20. It sounded like a bad chip-tune / midi / amiga version. Keep it up! 
Relatable, I'm trying to recreate Impact by Orbital on my little box and the bassline is pretty much there but the drum sounds are so different it's hard to make it sound good lol

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

hi. i got into chemical brothers thanks to my friend, who is also on this forum.

since then, ive gotten quite interested in electronic music(and just music in general)
and im probably(hopefully) going to do it for gcse, the academic qualification system in the uk.

::cheers
which is better, bass(fish) or bass(instrument)?

Quote from: bassfish on Mar 28, 2023, 15:50
hi. i got into chemical brothers thanks to my friend, who is also on this forum.

since then, ive gotten quite interested in electronic music(and just music in general)
and im probably(hopefully) going to do it for gcse, the academic qualification system in the uk.

Welcome!

As someone who studied Music GCSE, and then went on to A Level Music & Music Technology, and then a BA in Creative Music Technology - I'm very excited for your potential journey!

What other electronic music have you got into since you discovered the Chems?

Quote from: bassfish on Mar 28, 2023, 15:50

Hey!! I'm his friend!

I also got him into orbital, among other things (we're seeing them live on the 6th!) but I'll let him explain ;D

I'm going to to do music GCSE too, so hopefully we're in the same class.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 28, 2023, 19:37
Welcome!

As someone who studied Music GCSE, and then went on to A Level Music & Music Technology, and then a BA in Creative Music Technology - I'm very excited for your potential journey!

What other electronic music have you got into since you discovered the Chems?
yeah, so as sulky said, he also got me into orbital, and we're gonna see them on april 6th, as he already said.

so, about your music gcse, do you have any tips?
which is better, bass(fish) or bass(instrument)?

Quote from: bassfish on Mar 30, 2023, 10:53
so, about your music gcse, do you have any tips?

Try to find something you enjoy about every piece of music that you listen to. Even if it's a crap pop song you totally hate, try to appreciate why others might enjoy it - or better still - find something you enjoy about it yourself.

We studied Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin' On' album for A-Level music tech, and I thought it was the most boring shit ever (especially as we were comparing it to Pet Sounds, which is superb) but I started getting super into the bongo sounds in the Marvin tracks, and gradually found myself finding more and more to appreciate about it all.

Basically, it can be easy to get in your own way of being successful in a course which is ultimately about ticking boxes. You don't have to love a piece of music you're asked about - but if you can find something you do like, and talk about it using the correct terminology and enthusiasm, you'll be golden!

Also, not sure what your 'classical' music background is - but learning Grade 5 Music Theory is just an all round super helpful skill to have in your pocket.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 30, 2023, 17:59
Also, not sure what your 'classical' music background is - but learning Grade 5 Music Theory is just an all round super helpful skill to have in your pocket.
Ohhh man. Hopefully learning at least a bit of music theory is one of the reasons I'm doing music GCSE, but it's definitely scary!

Quote from: rynostar on Mar 08, 2023, 23:27
It sounded like a bad chip-tune / midi / amiga version.
Are you trying to bad-mouth Paula?!   :))
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on May 01, 2023, 08:44
Are you trying to bad-mouth Paula?!  :))
Was I!?!?! I' don't know?!?! I thought I was being self-deprecating?!?!

Also, what is the Paula reference? (Abdul?)

Oh, don't worry, it was a joke that only amigan could understand 
Paula was the name of chip Amiga used for sound (14 bit sound) and it was fantastic for that time 

Quote from: sandelic on May 01, 2023, 16:42
Oh, don't worry, it was a joke that only amigan could understand
Paula was the name of chip Amiga used for sound (14 bit sound) and it was fantastic for that time
Yep, right over my head. But I can second the Amiga did produce great sounds / tracks. Never had a chance to play it, but love tracks like this:

Great choice! I love that track, too! 
Also, Amiga demo scene is still pretty strong and still produce some interesting stuff

Hi everyone! I'm Mike. Been into the Chemical Brothers since my cousin introduced me to them in the 90s and I got Exit Planet Dust on cassette!

Loved hearing In Dust We Trust on Channel 4 NBA 24/7 show before Football Italia!

Seen them a few times including Trafalgar Square but favourite so far was T In The Park around 2003(ish) as was a sunset gig and the visuals were amazing!

Anyway - thanks for adding me!

Welcome @GlosBlue !

Love a good Cousin recommendation! There's a good amount of music I'd have never come across if it wasn't for some of them from my own.

Let us know if that artwork has grown on you yet! I was also a little unsure when we first saw it, but having the Forum transform into this massive splash of colour has really warmed me up to it.
Still waiting on a physical copy to judge in person, but hopefully it feels more fitting given some time!

Quote from: GlosBlue on Sep 12, 2023, 12:30
Hi everyone! I'm Mike. Been into the Chemical Brothers since my cousin introduced me to them in the 90s and I got Exit Planet Dust on cassette!

Loved hearing In Dust We Trust on Channel 4 NBA 24/7 show before Football Italia!

Seen them a few times including Trafalgar Square but favourite so far was T In The Park around 2003(ish) as was a sunset gig and the visuals were amazing!

Anyway - thanks for adding me!
Cassettes and Trafalgar gig is guaranteed respect points from some members on the brother/sister/siblinghood (aka me; big props to you on both). Welcome GlosBlue!