It Doesn't Matter

Samples & Trainspotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Apr 01, 2017, 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Following on from my post #75, another track that samples Bulgarian choral vox has emerged, brand new for 2023.

Argy & Goom Gum - Pantheon

It could do with a remix to toughen up the production for my personal taste, but I really like how they've used the vox.

I notice that Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares -who seem to be a long running choir (presumably with members who change over time) did a full KEXP session in 2017.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 13, 2022, 11:07
Incidentally the Chems remix of Voodoo People also samples the track below at 2:12. I guess Boogie Down Productions have been a long time Chemical favourite, as their JIMMY would hugely influence CHEMICAL (writing credit given) many years later.

Just picking up on your comment about CHEMICAL, I vaguely recall an early (live?) version that used samples of "The C, the H..." and so on, from the beginning of It Gets No Rougher by LL Cool J...

Obviously the samples were rearranged in much the same way as those on Super Sharp Shooter by DJ Zinc. But I assume the samples were dropped for the official release (because LL Cool J said no perhaps?) and Tom and Ed used their own vocal artist instead?

I like these sort of videos. This one is broken into sections. There's a Daft Punk Section, a Vampire Weekend/Radiohead section, a Moby section - where he samples strings and plays them backwards (hmm, that sounds like a familiar theme at the moment). Oh and there's a Beatles section. Yes the fab four are kinda 'accused' of sampling Spanish guitar (via melotron) at the start of one of their own songs. And Strawberry Fields gets a mention too! I would probably skip over the advertising section at 4:49 though.

After the Melotron and before the Akai sampler, there was the Fairlight CMI. Don't be put off by Bruno Mars here!
We get: the original Stravinsky performance of THAT orchestral hit. NWA, Peter Vogel - the inventor of the Fairlight. His copy of the Stravinsky record that he sampled to the Fairlight. Herbie Hancock with David Letterman, Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush, Afrika Bambaataa, Duran Duran, New Order and even The Smiths.

I think Yes's Owner Of A Lonely Heart was the first track I noticed that ORCH sound on, as a child. Whenever I heard it after that, I assumed that the other artists had nicked it from Yes. But No!

EDIT: if you liked that Fairlight video, here's a longer one with more Letterman/Hancock and Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.
Last Edit: Apr 09, 2023, 19:32 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I may be mistaken, but I believe I've identified the original break sample used in "Life is Sweet Remix 1".
Specifically, the drum roll at 0:21 in the track bears strong resemblance to that used in "Life is Sweet Remix 1".

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 24, 2022, 07:08
Egyptian Empire - The Horn Track. That is crazy good!

New jungle/D&B take on this for 2023 just uploaded to YT this weekend.
Sounds like they sampled Egyptian Empire directly (rather than Rattling Ghosts), as you can hear the sample from Human League's Love Action which is also in the EE track.

LMAJOR - Hornz
IT'S MORNING TIME!