When You Start Hating, You're Out of Control

U.K. 2023 Tour

Started by nalaknip, Mar 27, 2023, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks for the heads-up, it states so in the emails, for Glasgow the ticket will be accessible through the ticketmaster account or app, and for London apparently the O2 has its own app. I'll try it out in advance, not that I need to fumble or install something right when I'm about to enter the venue.
I gotta say digitally is more convenient, but why can't they just send you a pdf which you can print out at home or simply show the barcode on your phone which will be scanned at entry. I hate it when something requires its own app which coud easily be down without.

Bit odd some of the comments about prices. My standing tkt for Leeds was sub £60 and sub £70 for The O2 (Ticketmaster and AXS had a fair chunk of that as well) Considering what some artists charge, I thought that was great value. Also noticed that on the album/artist presale, seats at Leeds Arena in the front level 100 blocks (103, 104) were only £38!!! Anyone who has been to Leeds Arena would know that that would give you an unbelievable head on view of the live show. It was the first time I've ever thought about a seated ticket for a Chems gig.

Tucked inside my 2CD BITE, I've just stumbled on my 2016 ticket stub for the Chems at Hammersmith Apollo London. Standing ticket: £39.50 + fee £1.25.
Venue capacity: approx 5000.

Personally I would prefer to see The Chems (or any artist) at this relatively 'intimate' size venue (a quarter that of the O2) and pay a smaller price. Just because other artists now charge crazy prices for arena gigs doesn't mean that £63.55 is a good price to see the Chems (or anyone). It just means that it may not be as bad as [insert artist name here].

You could argue that there's been inflation since 2016, but I would argue that in real terms I am poorer than I was in 2016. If I can go for less than £63.55 courtesy of a late Twickets deal, great. Otherwise I may sit this one out.

If people disagree with me and are happy to pay 63.55 for the cavernous O2, fair enough; enjoy. But I hope they can also respect my financal decision (and my dislike for cavernous venues) as the UK suffers an acute cost of living crisis.
Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 14:07 by Csar
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 31, 2023, 22:11
Tucked inside my 2CD BITE, I've just stumbled on my 2016 ticket stub for the Chems at Hammersmith Apollo London. Standing ticket: £39.50 + fee £1.25.
Venue capacity: approx 5000.

Personally I would prefer to see The Chems (or any artist) at this relatively 'intimate' size venue (a quarter that of the O2) and pay a smaller price. Just because other artists now charge crazy prices for arena gigs doesn't mean that £63.55 is a good price to see the Chems (or anyone). It just means that it may not be as bad as [insert artist name here].

You could argue that there's been inflation since 2016, but I would argue that in real terms I am poorer than I was in 2016. If I can go for less than £63.55 courtesy of a late Twickets deal, great. Otherwise I may sit this one out.

If people disagree with me and are happy to pay 63.55 for the cavernous O2, fair enough; enjoy. But I hope they can also respect my financal decision (and my dislike for cavernous venues) as the UK suffers an acute cost of living crisis.
Voting with your wallet is the best way for things like this to change, but based off the ticketmaster seating map in this case (sold well in London) its not going to be making a difference unfortunately.

If they did the apollo again it would 100% be at a similar price as this o2 gig as well, Orbital are doing it today and its £50 and they are far smaller for instance. Theres quantities of scale with the o2 anyway, if anything they can charge a lower price than the Apollo.

Can completely respect the financial decision, its shit but FOMO is real and i'm not missing out.
Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 14:07 by Csar
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

concert prices have definitely increased since the pandemic. I suspect that, as well as inflation, part of it is the industry really suffered and needs to make it up a bit.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 31, 2023, 22:11
Personally I would prefer to see The Chems (or any artist) at this relatively 'intimate' size venue (a quarter that of the O2) and pay a smaller price.
that's not how it would work though. once an artist can play the O2, more intimate gigs would be even more expensive than the O2 gig. the price is set based on demand for tickets. the days of the chems playing smaller venues at a lower price are gone.

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 31, 2023, 17:21
why can't they just send you a pdf which you can print out at home or simply show the barcode on your phone which will be scanned at entry. I hate it when something requires its own app which coud easily be down without.
a printable pdf certainly is convenient. it's also extremely convenient for scammers who might sell the same ticket multiple times. 

I also hate the need for an app (I generally detest having to install single-purpose apps) but it does enable dynamic bar codes which cannot be duplicated. I'll deal with the inconvenience of an app to stick it to the scammers. 

Yeah the app is good as you know 100% your not getting scammed because the ticket is in your account. I went and saw the Blaze at hammersmith apollo last week and was bricking it all evening as I had PDF tickets I bought through ticketswap and had no idea if they would work.

Quote from: shakermaker on Apr 02, 2023, 19:01
the price is set based on demand for tickets. the days of the chems playing smaller venues at a lower price are gone.

Yes good old suppply and demand; this is indeed true. But I'm old enough to remember when the demand levels meant I could pay thirty-something pounds to see them, and go to the gig in a venue the size of Hammersmith Apollo or Brixton Academy. When they played the O2 last time, I wondered (hoped) if they had overstretched themselves and would come back down to earth after that one. Alas no. And ironically the higher the demand from others to see the Chems (some of whom I suspect are Johnnie-come-latelys dazzled by instagram clips), the more my demand to see them decreases.

I'll catch them again at some point between now and when they retire, but in the meantime there are plenty of other "smaller" acts to see live. I won't be dazzled or FOMO'd into paying over £50 a ticket to see anyone.
Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 20:13 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

very fair! it's good to have such boundaries.

being a chems fan in the USA sucks with regards to how infrequently they play here, but when they do we are blessed with smaller size shows.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 02, 2023, 19:46
Yes good old suppply and demand; this is indeed true. But I'm old enough to remember when the demand levels meant I could pay thirty-something pounds to see them, and go to the gig in a venue the size of Hammersmith Apollo or Brixton Academy. When they played the O2 last time, I wondered (hoped) if they had overstretched themselves and would come back down to earth after that one. Alas no. And ironically the higher the demand from others to see the Chems (some of whom I suspect are Johnnie-come-latelys dazzled by instagram clips), the more my demand to see them decreases.

I'll catch them again at some point between now and when they retire, but in the meantime there are plenty of other "smaller" acts to see live. I won't be dazzled or FOMO'd into paying over £50 a ticket to see anyone.
Considering they've been a festival headliner in the UK for years its surprising they weren't doing the o2 to begin with honestly. They headline several 20-50k festivals every year

@Wolkenkrabber was thinking about this just now

What i will say is that the support is poor. US shows got Overmono and we get James Holroyd. No offence to him but he's not a big name - the cardiff show has hot chip, 2manydjs etc while these arena shows that are more expensive get none.

That cardiff show is very good value in comparison at £55.

Quote from: gfa2001 on Apr 16, 2023, 19:47
@Wolkenkrabber was thinking about this just now

What i will say is that the support is poor. US shows got Overmono and we get James Holroyd. No offence to him but he's not a big name - the cardiff show has hot chip, 2manydjs etc while these arena shows that are more expensive get none.

That cardiff show is very good value in comparison at £55.
James has been opening for them for decades. He's a fantastic dj and always does a great set. Even when someone like 2manydjs support like in 2019 he always plays right before the Chems. 

I always love his sets before the shows 
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

Quote from: chemdup on Apr 16, 2023, 22:55
James has been opening for them for decades. He's a fantastic dj and always does a great set. Even when someone like 2manydjs support like in 2019 he always plays right before the Chems.

I always love his sets before the shows
Fair enough I'm sure he's great, can obviously tell theres a connection to chems but the point was more that when people are paying £65 a piece there should be a proper support really.

Hopefully someone else will get added on as an additional support. Its a kick in the teeth when the £10 cheaper cardiff show gets a full undercard of good support acts and we get nothing

TSHA added to London

Have DMed on instagram asking if live or dj - anyone know, can't see it anywhere

^ its a dj set

Quote from: gfa2001 on Jul 25, 2023, 17:23
^ its a dj set
I think that's a good thing. Her album was nice, but her DJ sets are brilliant.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

10 days to go!

I can't wait for the London show!

London times

What an excellent spectacle! It just makes their music so very much real! I've missed this!

Since I'm sure you're interested in the set list:

Main set:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Basically the same (I think?), except for
Spoiler
Spoiler
Goodbye, which is way longer and includes the Jesse Jackson sample. Also, a complete dark screen during the part with the sample.

Encore:
Spoiler
Spoiler
No Geography
The Darkness that you fear (Beefed up version) (I think, there aren't that many clips from 2021)
The Reel

Quote from: Stefan on Oct 26, 2023, 22:16
What an excellent spectacle! It just makes their music so very much real! I've missed this!

Since I'm sure you're interested in the set list:

Main set:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Basically the same (I think?), except for
Spoiler
Spoiler
Goodbye, which is way longer and includes the Jesse Jackson sample. Also, a complete dark screen during the part with the sample.

Encore:
Spoiler
Spoiler
No Geography
The Darkness that you fear (Beefed up version) (I think, there aren't that many clips from 2021)
The Reel

I keep seeing people here doing double spoiler tags, and in your case a quadruple, I think.
I'm confused by this!
Anyway, thanks for the updates. The news about
Spoiler
Goodbye, which is way longer and includes the Jesse Jackson sample
and
Spoiler
The Darkness that you fear (Beefed up version)
is interesting.

I was watching the live clip of Superflash earlier today on the book thread and found myself wishing I was immersed in that intense live Chems setting where you feel the music going through you.
Glad you enjoyed it.
IT'S MORNING TIME!