Music That Triggers Some Kind of Response

Chemical Spotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Jul 05, 2015, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Haha I'm watching it as well ;D
Tbh a little embarrest because the commentator recognized it before I could

I have a feeling that musically, it won't get any better than this for the rest of the show

Quote from: Stefan on May 13, 2023, 19:22
Haha I'm watching it as well ;D
Tbh a little embarrest because the commentator recognized it before I could

I have a feeling that musically, it won't get any better than this for the rest of the show

Was it actual Chems or a cover version? Sounded a bit funny to me, but there was a lot of noise over the top.

For me it didn't get more fun than the Austrian entrant. It doesn't look like you're gonna win but hey, there's no accounting for taste!

EDIT:
Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe
Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe
Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe
Edgar Allan Edgar Allan

https://twitter.com/Anniemole/status/1657470152122810369
Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 16:44 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The Test on 6 Music.

I know, radio is no real spotting, but after hearing the first one and a half seconds i immediately jumped up.
no idea, no idea

Andrew Weatherall 1992

Song To The Siren vox from 45 mins (intermittently) to about 49:39. Then more STTS from 1hr,16 to about 1hr,21.
And also Jesse Jackson "It's Morning Time!" from 56 mins to 58 mins, and 58:50 to 1hr,1min. And again, even more clearly from 1hr,9mins to 1hr,11mins.

As the Chems claim they followed Weatherall around to hear him play STTS in his DJ sets, then it seems likely they heard him play this Jesse Jackson speech back in '92.

ps Shazam identified Jesse Jackson easily here, but Google "search for a song" didn't...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

It's amazing how things come full circle sometimes. When I skipped through this mix and got to that Jackson sample again, it dawned on me that I had heard this "every day of my life" bit somewhere else before:

In the aptly named song "Every day of My Life" from Tom's former band Ariel
Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 14:39 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

If you have SiriusXM, check out this week's (technically last week's) Friday Night Freakout by Drew Carey. It's featured on Little Steven's Underground Garage, which is primarily a premium rock station.

Anyway, It's a three hour show of handpicked tracks by Drew, and he had a set that absolutely killed and consisted of:

The Stone Roses - Love Spreads
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize
Hot Chip - Over and Over
Stereo MCs - Step It Up

All back to back...

I searched for this movie title and nothing came up in search, so hopefully hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. Heard this classic track in DC League of Super-Pets.

I guess if you were too young for the 90s and you wanted to do a 30 minute cram-it session of dance choons from that decade, you could do worse than listen to this Megamix the Utah Saints have done for the BBC. There's a bunch of these "Rave Forever" mixes on the BBC website/app at the moment.

6 Music's Rave Forever Utah Saints 90s Megamix.
Includes:
Hey Boy Hey Girl vs. Smokebelch II
Hey Boy Hey Girl vs. Cowgirl

It kinda feels like they were asked to do one of those five minute mini-mixes for Annie Mac, but they did half an hour instead of five minutes.

Speaking of which, the Utah Saints did do a five minute mini mix for Annie Mac back in 2008.
It includes Running Up That Hill which was a US top ten hit for Kate Bush as recently as last summer. And also lots of Chemical-adjacent tracks (artists sampled, DJ'd, remixed by the Chems or even featured in the Chems live show*). And a few seconds of Sammy The Salmon too.

*LL Cool J, Prodigy, KLF, Primal Scream, Sabres, Klaxons, Rolling Stones
IT'S MORNING TIME!

No Geography (the track) used as a music bed on Saturday night's Match Of The Day at 53:38.
I was listening to the bass thinking "this is good, what is thi...Oh it's the Chems!"
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Ok I was being a bit silly yesterday when I said I posted this in the wrong thread (so then it got moved, which I kinda encuraged). There is a "chemical spotting reason" for this post here. The reason can be found at 1:50 and and 3:37.

GENESI - Acid (All Night Long)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: gpro2005 on Oct 10, 2020, 11:08
Ad for Oculus Quest 2 uses Galvanize.
Wow, this is the exact ad that got me into the Chems...

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 10, 2020, 19:57
EDIT: oh right, it's Michelin
Just heard this playing on the TV downstairs, ran down as fast as I could!
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

So I've been listening to a couple of old Essential Mixes recently and one new one.

The new one is Massano's "Melodic Techno" (i.e Trance, IMHO) mix which someone has just put on YouTube. Not really my cup of tea TBH, but he briefly redeems himself by playing his Massano edit of Do It Again at 1hr,07mins.

The old ones are:

1) The Scratch Perverts 2004 Essential Mix which Pete Tong and the BBC Sounds app have re-upped and now list under "Classic Essential Mixes". There seem to be several different tracklists for this thing, none of which seem to be complete (there are a lot of tracks in this one). It starts off quite hip hop heavy with LL Cool J, Dr Dre and Dizee Rascal but later on, it throws some curveballs into the mix like Paul Weller, and Also Jay Z mixed into Radiohead's National Anthem (1hr,15) and at 1hr,24 we get Kelis mixed into the Chems Come With Us. An eclectic Essential Mix for sure.

2) As mentioned already here the 1995 debut Chems Essential Mix. I haven't listened to this in a looong time. I find myself listening to Life Is Sweet at about 1hr,44. Seems to be a slightly different edit of the track with some bonus talking from Tim Burgess. What does he say, "there's me seagull" (1hr,47 and 15 secs) or something?
this is also on YouTube if you prefer. The timings are slightly different though.

Thinking Back to 2019, not only did we get an Essential Mix to coincide with No Geography, but there was also the Desert Island Disco mix for Lauren Laverne, and a half hour mix for Annie Mac's Friday night show too. This time? Nada*.

* well apart from the radio shows /interviews mentioned in the FTBF section.
Last Edit: Oct 05, 2023, 22:12 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Oct 13, 2023, 16:59
https://reddit.com/r/Blink182/s/LfctndDMLi

Back in the Coachella 2023 thread, I took some screenshots during the weekend 2 stream of a person who I think was Tom DeLonge. Suppose it helps the theory it was him.

https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,3226.msg32132.html#msg32132

Hey Guys!

Psychofrakulator on the Discord pointed out that MTV Germany will air a re-run of the 2003 MTV Spin with the Chemical Brothers in about two hours! It should be available to stream if you're in Germany via the MTV website: https://www.mtv.de/live/0h9eak

If you shouldn't be able to watch it locally, I will live stream it on the Discord as well! 
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

Thanks! Was able to capture it (missing ~30sec because the image froze at the beginning of HBHG).
It's nothing really too special. It was an MTV "videography" and commentary by Tom & Ed on a few select videos and a full airing of Golden Path at the end.
"Highlights":
Tom says that he never understood the hung meat scene in BRB and Ed replies that they always had problems with that.
During HBHG Ed says he never really got why the girl had become obsessed with skeletons just because she broke her arm as kid.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I got the whole thing ;D It was still fun watching this, unfortunately I caught covid somewhere and am quite bedridden and this really cheered me up 
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

Bandcamp! Your post made me search again for Chemical stuff on there, and what shall I tell you? There's apparently another one of those scammers trying to sell Chems (3) albums.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jan 15, 2024, 21:58
Bandcamp! Your post made me search again for Chemical stuff on there, and what shall I tell you? There's apparently another one of those scammers trying to sell Chems (3) albums.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning