Started by Stefan, Aug 15, 2023, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Sep 20, 2023, 17:10
Spoiler
CB
❤️
B
Oh at 1:42. Do we need to do spoilers?
Why is a knifeman attacking a dancer? (They still put a dancer in there BenJ!)
Is the woman in the lift/elevator being gassed or enveloped by smoke? Is the stone saving her with ventilation holes? And then selecting a safe floor?
Why is there a can of Beavertown Brewery beer from London in there (and also thanks to the brewery at the end)?
Where does the stone get all that kinetic energy from?

Maybe Kurt Steiner is just that good...

IT'S MORNING TIME!

@rynostar

yup, reminds me of The Boxer video. And now that you mention it, it's an accidental meta connection. If you're a basketball fan. There is urban slang for passing a basketball, it's referred to as "pass the rock". Rocks are stones, skipping a stone is like throwing a bounce pass with mad-spin.

What a funny coincidence that a man named Steiner is the record holder for stone skipping. "Stein" is the German word for stone.

The video is great, but the album track is just awfully edited/structured. This gliding "guitar" sound is getting on my nerves. It comes in way too early and almost goes on forever. Also, I just can't stand this choir for its main melody. This song could be such a great one.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

@Csar

You'll be disappointed to hear this is one of my favorite tracks on FTBF...

and I think the music video is a really fun concept. Recommend the video @Wolkenkrabber posted above. Kurt Steiner seems like a neat guy. I envy those who are dedicated to the outdoors in a totally non-commercial way. And yes @whirlygirl , this absolutely want's me to go out and take a hike! lol

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 21, 2023, 05:43
You'll be disappointed to hear this is one of my favorite tracks on FTBF...
Hey, why would I be disappointed??? I'm happy you enjoy it and that's all that counts, buddy!

That Kurt Steiner mini doc was very interesting and even made me want to go out and skip some stones (always loved to do this). He seems like a really nice guy. Like Stefan mentioned: What are the odds of a stone skipping man bearing the name Steiner (Stoner)?!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 20, 2023, 21:04
What a funny coincidence that a man named Steiner is the record holder for stone skipping. "Stein" is the German word for stone.

Quote from: Csar on Sep 21, 2023, 08:48
What are the odds of a stone skipping man bearing the name Steiner (Stoner)?!

So beer steins were originally made from stone, and that's where they get their name from?
Perhaps the 'cameo' from the Beavertown Brewery beer should have been in a beer stein and been drunk by Mr Steiner?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

i'm eagerly waiting for skipping like a stone (csar remix)
Eight or over.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 21, 2023, 09:40
So beer steins were originally made from stone, and that's where they get their name from? Perhaps the 'cameo' from the Beavertown Brewery beer should have been in a beer stein and been drunk by Mr Steiner?
:D
I honestly had to look that up because I had never heard of this before. Wiki says this:
The English word is attested from 1855. It is borrowed from German Stein, which has – aside from its prevailing meaning "stone" – elder regional meanings "beer mug"and "beer measure of 1 litre or 2 Schoppen".
The word can be compared to Old English stæne "pitcher, jug".
The word Stein alone is not used any more to refer to a beverage container in standard German; rather, Krug, Humpen or, especially in Bavaria and Austria, Seidel are used. Oktoberfest usage is Maßkrug.
We call it a Krug, Maßkrug (MAH-s-kroog) or Humpen (hoom-pen)

Quote from: GLAKO-FAHN on Sep 21, 2023, 16:37
i'm eagerly waiting for skipping like a stone (csar remix)
Ah, so you're familiar with my internationally acclaimed, record selling productions that I publish under my alias DJ Armchair?
— Aurora (The Seed)

Hot remix coming through. Think there is gonna be some fans of this!

Also, Extended Mix now on YouTube (officially):

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 22, 2023, 06:07

This is great! Why does it freakin' stop at 3:05! There must be a longer version coming, right?

Also, with this slightly more isolated version of Beck's vocal, can we at least agree that Mr Hansen could have annunciated the 'SHA' part of 'Shadow of love' a little more clearly? It still sounds very, very much like he's starting to sing the word "center". Dancing in the cendow of love.

Also also. I personally would have removed the lip smack at 2:11. But that's just me!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Gerd Janson remix might be better than the original i think!!
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 22, 2023, 07:03
This is great! Why does it freakin' stop at 3:05! There must be a longer version coming, right?
Yes there's a 6:59 version on Beatport.
I like this remix (might work well in "the clubs") but I'm still leaning towards the extended mix as my favourite at the moment.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Can't get gatekeeping the extended mixes for beatport, etc just to release them later as the part of remix release, etc, instead of putting them right with the main and edit cut. (Same with remixes)

When it comes to the remix - I like it, but the short one doesn't even use the titular line, so that's funny.
Haven't heard the full one yet tho.
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 22, 2023, 06:07

I'm not a fan of most remixes of Chems work in recent years, but this one is fantastic!
The extended version is, as usual, much better.

The extended mix is a massive step up from the original. Definitely a lot of breathing room on a 7 min track. Should've been on the album, as the original keeps me thirsty for more. 

But all in all, Beck and Halo Maud sound good together. Especially her on the heavenly chorus at the end. 

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Count me in with the crowd who thinks the extended version is best and should have been on the album.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Oh my. The remix is fabulous and so FUN!! It's like getting a burst of fresh air when you're on a hot sweaty dance floor. Well done Gerd Janson! 

Album version vs Extended - If weighing the two versions outside of the album's context, the Extended Mix is everything I love about the FTFB version x1000. (I have the same feelings for Wide Open No Geo album version compared to By The Light Of The Moon Mix... same with Do It Again Extended vs the We Are The night version....) I guess... I'm not trying to make a point one way or another and I'm babbling. I'm happy to have whatever different versions they are willing to share. 

I love Skipping Like A Stone as it is within the album. I'm enjoying For That Beautiful Feeling so much right now, so I am not really bothered by the exclusion of Extended Mix. Maybe those feelings will change later on. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Double post comin thru, forgive me if this may have been posted elsewhere?

https://soundcloud.com/thechemicalbrothers/skipping-like-a-stone-gerd
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Sep 24, 2023, 16:06
Double post comin thru, forgive me if this may have been posted elsewhere?

https://soundcloud.com/thechemicalbrothers/skipping-like-a-stone-gerd

Oh good point, I thought Beatport was the only place to find it.
Shall we embed it? They're keeping us on our toes re: where to play which tracks (regular "Extended mix" is on YouTube but not Soundcloud...)
IT'S MORNING TIME!