Turn Off Your Mind, Relax, and Float Downstream

Discussions on difficult subjects

Started by Enjoyed, Mar 09, 2018, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic
from the article you linked @whirlygirl, love this bit by Craig Moore in the comments:

While I don't believe in an actual Satan, if there was ever a better support of the myth, it's gotta be trumps unbelievable ability to fail upward, almost every damn time.

https://open.substack.com/pub/heathercoxrichardson/p/july-14-2024?r=3zsoq9&utm_campaign=comment-list-share-cta&utm_medium=web&comments=true&commentId=62091377

I promise I'm not gonna spam all my political worries about this upcoming election on daily basis...

I just want to express a small sigh of relief.

Phew!

Republicans could've put the Democrats on life support after this recent convention, but they stayed completely steadfast on Trumpisim. I'm pretty confident to say they've grabbed negative value at best in the ground for securing independent or undecided voters.

That being said, they gave the Trumpers exactly what they wanted and solidified their base. Nearly half the population is gonna vote for Trump and that isn't changing. Once again, we are gonna be fucking desperate for the youth to get out and vote and save this election.

Finally, Democrats are having one of their worst weeks in the history of its party. Our presidential nominee for 2024 is in limbo (Joe Biden is old) and whichever way it figures to go, it will require bad blood and risky maneuvering to compound the already unsustainable stress.

Anyways, fuck Elon Musk.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 19, 2024, 07:29
Once again, we are gonna be fucking desperate for the youth to get out and vote and save this election.
calling for desperate measures. 

I'm writing postcards to people in swing states who are registered and have a history of not turning up. it's proven to make a difference. it's a drop in the bucket, but enough to make a difference in these razor-thin election leads. I've done it the past two elections (+ run offs) and am doing it again.

they've paused sign-ups for a moment while they catch up on orders, but if you (or anyone here) is interested they expect to resume early August. https://www.turnoutpac.org/postcards/

A underrated "tweet" on Trumps embarrassingly long and rambling speech that even some of his supporters probably would laugh at: 

https://twitter.com/SMarmalstein/status/1814148058701041844

To give some insight, "Gitmo" is short for Guantanamo Bay a United States detention camp located on the island/country of Cuba where it's infamous for torture. 

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 19, 2024, 07:29
Once again, we are gonna be fucking desperate for the youth to get out and vote and save this election.
I found this op-ed reassuring. I haven't verified his claims.

With the sole exception of 2004, in every presidential election since 1992, the Democratic nominee has won the popular vote... Since 2020, 16 million young people have become eligible to vote, and 12 million people, most of them older, have died. Biden beat Trump by 30 points among young people, according to the exit polls, and he lost among the oldest voters (52% for Trump, 47% for Biden). So the fundamental composition of our nation's electorate is more progressive, more diverse and more favorable to Democrats right now than it was in 2020.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/23/kamala-harris-elecion-masterstroke-democrats

@shakermaker

I'm sure that's true overall in the popular vote, but there is plenty of young men who will vote Republican and they all reside in the key swing states.

So in the akin to my Taylor Swift theory, young men in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, etc... are very influenced by the media company Barstool Sports.

And if you aren't aware of what Barstool Sports is, well, it's an online sports media company which celebrates toxic frat boy culture in both fun and enticing fashion. The company's founder, Dave Portnoy, is a championed right-leaning personality, that frequents on Fox News outlets. Bartsool Sports is incredibly popular on college campuses.

Was not expecting this unbridled positivity with Kamala Harris taking the reins for the Democrats. Hoping this momentum can continue through election night. Thank you Joe!

On that note, exciting times! Another woman running for president, one of color, and a myriad of high caliber running mates to pick from. It feels fucking awesome!

Trying to not to get too ahead of myself and plenty of campaign season to go... but the potential a black/asian woman flipping this race on a dime and taking down Trump would be an amazing end to all of this.
Last Edit: Jul 24, 2024, 19:24 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 24, 2024, 02:01
but the potential a black/asian woman flipping this race on a dime and taking down Trump would be an amazing end to all of this.

Please log in to view this attachment.
no idea, no idea

All of sudden I'm feeling very attracted to the Vice President.   :luv

Sign me up for this fan fiction!

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 30, 2024, 05:39
I'm feeling very attracted to the Vice President.  :luv
FTFY
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 30, 2024, 05:39
All of sudden I'm feeling very attracted to the Vice President.  :luv

Sign me up for this fan fiction!
I love this meme so much. 

and in no way do I want memes have political consequence. we talked about Taylor Swift's potential influence - a decentralized influence like a meme could be much more dangerous.

but god I love this meme.

Dick Cheney (and his daughter, former congresswoman, Liz Cheney) has voiced that he'll vote for Kamala Harris in the upcoming election.

The universe is insanely out of balance. Not even grateful for this. We are so broken...

We're putting on a destress workshop at our studio on Election Day. I can't imagine being able to do anything remotely relaxing that day, but we're hoping being able to smoosh some dirt into various shapes will help push off the dread for a few hours.

I'm both ready for it to all be over - and not wanting that day to get here any sooner.

Plus, the added feeling of literally, and legally not being able to make a difference is a fun one! Doesn't stop Joe and Kamala's team texting me on the weekly though  ;D
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 07, 2024, 07:24
Dick Cheney (and his daughter, former congresswoman, Liz Cheney) has voiced that he'll vote for Kamala Harris in the upcoming election.

...Not even grateful for this...

Well if Dems want Trump/Vance to lose, it could be helpful, even if you don't want the Cheney's help. Liz Cheney not pulling her punches here:

https://x.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1833546226538828032
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Liz Cheney had her moment. I give her credit for condemning the actions of January 6th insurrection, but she's not exactly a popular politician outside the state of Wyoming nor was her father. Majority of her home state now considers her entire family traitors to the Republican party. Wyoming isn't a swing state and wont be a factor in this upcoming election. This "endorsement" really is a zero gain for the Democrats. Instead, this is meat to feed the media cycle, and a reminder of how twisted the state of American politics is right now.
Last Edit: Sep 11, 2024, 22:18 by Bosco

A quick look back at the picture of Harris above - her husband Douglas Emhoff recently bought a copy of Brotherhood

no idea, no idea

How's it possible for someone even thinking about voting for Trump?  :D
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 12, 2024, 13:29
How's it possible for someone even thinking about voting for Trump?  :D

Not proud of this and I know I'm not alone, but I have plenty of extended family that will be voting for him. Thankfully, most of these votes will be casted in a deep blue (strong Democrat majority) state of Illinois.

Hey, if you guys maybe want to follow along with the current polls and daily updates about political races here in the United States, I recommend this:

https://www.electoral-vote.com/

A lot of good stuff there to absorb

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 12, 2024, 18:08
I have plenty of extended family that will be voting for him.

Have they said why? Help us to understand!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 12, 2024, 09:52
A quick look back at the picture of Harris above - her husband Douglas Emhoff recently bought a copy of Brotherhood
Ha! Just seen this on New Order's Insta stories. Yes he did buy Brotherhood - but the original one by New Order, rather than the compilation from the Chems - who might have been inspired to copy New Order's album title. [EDIT: I've only just realised that your insta post is a video that plays. D'oh! What happened to the 'play' triangle on Instagram?]

https://x.com/neworder/status/1834196620897931341

Mind you, Doug has jumped the gun a bit. If he wanted to buy Brotherhood in 2024 he should have waited unil November for the new box set re-issue with nine previously unreleased tracks on disc 2. Now this is how to do a re-issue!

https://x.com/neworder/status/1831316290486804844
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 12, 2024, 21:53
Mind you, Doug has jumped the gun a bit. If he wanted to buy Brotherhood in 2024 he should have waited unil November for the new box set re-issue with nine previously unreleased tracks on disc 2. Now this is how to do a re-issue!

But on Vinyl it's no new material.
no idea, no idea