I'm Dancing In the Shadow of Love

Live Again

Started by gpro2005, Jun 21, 2023, 17:45

Previous topic - Next topic
I too bought the extended version from beatport because collections need to be well-kept.

Overall, i still think this track is a banger. I don't think it is in my top 20 of all Chems tracks, but neither are No Reason, All Of A Sudden & The Darkness.
I can agree with all who said the vocals are really nice but too little. Wonder why they cut the vocals short and hide them in the first third of the song. And talking about hiden vocals - they're very quiet, i hear more synths than vocals. On the live recordings from the past few love shows they seem to be louder and clearer which i like more.
The longer intro from the extended version is really really good, but apart of that i'm fine with the 5 min version.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 28, 2023, 19:39
Listening to the extended version - and only the extended version - I'm hearing something in the intro; the first 43 seconds. I think we've heard it in the live version, and I thought it was a muted trumpet sound at first (Mallorca Live Festival thread). But now I'm thinking it sounds like a sample from Roy Budd's "Get Carter" Theme. Thoughts anyone?

You mean this?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 29, 2023, 17:11
You mean this?
Nope!
There's an extra sound in the intro to the Extended Mix (6:38) only. It's not in the 5 minute or short single version. I think you took your clip from the 5 minute version (?).
Listen to the Extended Mix intro for a sound that almost sounds like a muted trumpet (so it's not the funky bass or the vocal snippets). I think it might be the harpsichord/piano melody from the beginning of the Get Carter theme, perhaps slightly pitched up/messed around.  - The first 30 seconds of Get Carter.
And if it was sampled without permission, that might be why it has only been snuck into the Extended mix.
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2023, 19:44 by Wolkenkrabber Reason: spelling on harpsichord
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 29, 2023, 15:35
I can agree with all who said the vocals are really nice but too little. Wonder why they cut the vocals short and hide them in the first third of the song.
See, I disagree with the consensus here. I love the unique style of the track and feel the lyrics work perfectly as is.

I've made my feelings known before that I prefer an underground or experimental style for the Brothers as compared to the safe top 40 radio collaboration vibe we often get anymore. Don't get me wrong: I like that stuff, too, and I understand they are a big name out to make big money. It's hard to be "underground" when you're top in the game. Still, the last few singles and tracks we've previewed have me very excited for the next release.

Of the 3 newer tracks, this is my favorite. I thought this on the first listen, but had to give it a day or so and revisit several times to be sure. 
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

It's more of a sample than lyrics.

Quote from: satur8 on Jun 29, 2023, 21:38
See, I disagree with the consensus here. I love the unique style of the track and feel the lyrics work perfectly as is.

I've made my feelings known before that I prefer an underground or experimental style for the Brothers as compared to the safe top 40 radio collaboration vibe we often get anymore. Don't get me wrong: I like that stuff, too, and I understand they are a big name out to make big money. It's hard to be "underground" when you're top in the game. Still, the last few singles and tracks we've previewed have me very excited for the next release.

Of the 3 newer tracks, this is my favorite. I thought this on the first listen, but had to give it a day or so and revisit several times to be sure. 

I'm with you on the experimental comment. It definitely seems like, since Further, their flirtation with more radical ideas has received a healthy dose of critical acclaim too (incidentally, I still believe We Are The Night remains their finest and most freely creative work since Surrender). 

Live Again is an oddity because its opening recalls the sedate, psychedelic tendencies of Snow and Asleep From Day and that "underground" element you write of. So the decision to make it "danceable" with the use of feathery hi hats and kick drums makes it almost sound like a companion to Swoon and, dare I say it, closer to that top 40 vibe you mention.
LIVE: Wolverhampton Civic 2005; V Festival 2005; Creamfields 2007; Aintree Pavilion 2007;  Roundhouse 2010; Hammersmith Apollo 2016; Utilita Arena Birmingham 2019; Field Day 2022
DJ: Fabric 2009; Warehouse Project 2012

Might be in the minority here, but I think this one is a proper banger. Much more so than No Reason. There's some lovely Surrender and CWU era vibes in there. I really like the love/live ambiguity, and I think this track is a great "light" to No Reason's "dark" message.

Haven't been this pumped for a chems tube in a while!

The credits for Live Again have finally appeared on SACEM.
No sign of a writing credit for Halo Maud, but perhaps that's just SACEM being incomplete again.
They've also got No Reason listed twice now. I have no idea why. Perhaps for...no reason 8)

LIVE AGAIN

Sub-Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (FRANCE)

Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT UK LIMITED

Composer/Author : OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

IT'S MORNING TIME!

They've also added 7 or 8 random listings for other tracks throughout their discography, like "Boxer" and other things. Many are tracks that are already on SACEM. Perhaps for purposes of re-releasing tracks on vinyl?
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

The marketing team is not even hiding the fact that the video is for Live Again now. They have YT waiting video on my main queue with full title. 
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

https://www.xsnoize.com/the-chemical-brothers-announce-new-album-for-that-beautiful-feeling/

Long-term Chemical Brothers collaborators Dom & Nic (Wide Open, Hey Boy Hey Girl) have directed the video for Live Again, which is online everywhere now. You can watch it BELOW:
Dom & Nic on the video: "Working with The Chemical Brothers is a dream for any video director. We're really lucky to be still making films together after quite a few years. The Chems just keep smashing it with great tracks that demand videos that live up to the music and hopefully add something extra to the whole experience. Live Again is our tenth collaboration... the woozy, wonky analog sounds and the dream-like lyric suggested a hallucinogenic visual journey following a character caught in a loop of death and rebirth. The idea inspired us to use the new Arri XR virtual production stage and its cutting edge technology in a way that had never previously been done. This is an idea that could not really have been achieved with traditional filmmaking techniques. We created virtual CGI worlds and used long unbroken camera takes, without edits, moving between those different worlds seamlessly with our hero character. Making and editing the video, we were showered with the generosity of such a strong and huge team of immensely talented companies and individuals that helped us to make this film happen because they love working with The Chemical Brothers. Without their time, talents and generosity a film like this could never make it out of heads and onto a screen."
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

What a wonderful statement by Dom and Nic. I always appreciate it when those behind the scenes also get recognized for their work. Shows that these two seem to be really nice lads!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

If anyone is interested in whats up with the ARRI XR production: https://www.arri.com/en/company/press/press-releases-2021/arri-opens-a-mixed-reality-studio-available-for-hire-to-productions-in-the-uk

Looks like it is nearly the same as Lucasfilms Industrial Light & Magic Stagecraft.
no idea, no idea

Youthful narcoleptic pikey disco queen, stuck in a continuum portal, with altering eras and geographical locations.

I like it!
Last Edit: Jul 19, 2023, 19:40 by Bosco

So where's the single with the b-sides?
no idea, no idea

You guys spotted Tom & Ed yet ?  ;D
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 19, 2023, 18:15
You guys spotted Tom & Ed yet ? 
Hail To The Chief(s)!
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jul 19, 2023, 17:46
So where's the single with the b-sides?
They did it for No Reason now they have to do it for every single release.

Fun video, it's the pandemic version of

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 19, 2023, 17:38
Youthful narcoleptic pickey disco queen, stuck in a continuum portal, with altering eras and geographical locations.

Where's that quote?
I'm guessing it's "pikey" rather than "pickey".

Pikey is UK slang for "travellers" i.e people who live in caravans and move around at will, setting up camp with their extended families. Often with Irish accents, as the nomadic lifestyle is part of a (dying) culture in Ireland.
See Brad Pitt's character in Snatch, or the main characters in Trespass Against Us.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 19, 2023, 18:59
Where's that quote? I'm guessing it's "pikey" rather than "pickey".
Yup, misspelling on my part. 

No quote, pure poetry