Ouhmmmm Beya-deh. Ahhhhhh Yeah!

Goodbye (Big Beat Space Gospel)

Started by Csar, Jul 19, 2023, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one will be Big Beat Space Gospel?

4. Goodbye
24 (96%)
5. Fountains
0 (0%)
6. Magic Wand
1 (4%)
7. The Weight
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Quote from: rynostar on Sep 06, 2023, 18:27
Email just went out with the Soundcloud clip.

https://soundcloud.com/thechemicalbrothers/goodbye-snippet/s-Dw0Gp39MrlZ?si
(Ryno struggling again with embeds...)

That bass line packs a punch. We likely can update the topic name now.
Played this clip 20+ times! That drum roll rules. 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: LLG on Sep 06, 2023, 19:04
RIP the name Big Beat Space Gospel.

Quote from: Biff on Sep 06, 2023, 19:28
Goodbye (Big Beat Space Gospel)

As I believe I was the conjure-up-er of the BBSG title (as a kind of descriptor originally) back in the Amnesia Ibiza '22 thread, may I humbly suggest:
If they play the "Jesse Jackson" version again at some point, we could perhaps use the old BBSG name but the album version will of course be known as Goodbye. I heard the full album version today incidentally, and I can confirm there is zero Jesse Jackson in there.

Considering Tom's old band Ariel previously sampled this same JJ speech (amongst many other samplers), I imagine it may not be hard to license the track (or perhaps no licence is needed? It was originally on an Aretha Franklin record but credited as a speech rather than as music), I would still love to see the DJ version (which I shall call BBSG!) get a release as the next EBW.
There have been lots of "singles" so far, but no sign of an EBW. If not this track then what??
IT'S MORNING TIME!

It's perfect, might be my fav one out of the "new" stuff, this one, or Dreaming. 
It's a powerful bittersweet banger
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

The first few bars make me want to play Wipeout Fusion so bad. HUGE Nu Skool breaks vibes in that intro.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 09, 2023, 21:37
The first few bars make me want to play Wipeout Fusion so bad. HUGE Nu Skool breaks vibes in that intro.
Seriously, give me an EBW style 8 minute bonus dub featuring the segue out of No Reason and the break intro to Goodbye.

And yes, Wipeout!
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Someone on the facebook brotherhood group noticed that the break pattern goes really simillar to the one on DYOH (track) and it sure does, it's pretty much the same pattern!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵 on Sep 10, 2023, 01:33
Someone on the facebook brotherhood group noticed that the break pattern goes really simillar to the one on DYOH (track) and it sure does, it's pretty much the same pattern!
Worth noting that they've been playing it out with that familiar Odetta "Hit Or Miss" drum break when they do it live.
Personally I think the rhythm's got a little more in common with one of their DJ set staples - "Doin' It After Dark" by Carlos Berrios.
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

I'll be honest, since we first heard it on the DJ sets, I didn't like it. But on Friday when I was driving home from work, I put on FTBF and when Goodbye started playing I was on the highway with a beautiful sunset and lots of clouds. Goosebumps. Now every time I listen to that song I remember that great moment.

I'm absolutely in love with Goodbye! Such a beautiful and emotional track.
Just get yourself high.

Goodbye is incredible!

But man, do I miss that Jesse Jackson vocal...

The main vocal sample is cool, but on loop through the entire track, I get a bit tired of it. I wish there was a little more variation with it. I also feel like the main synths come in too soon... the track needs time to breathe, to explore, to find it's groove before it really breaks it down in the drop. The Jesse Jackson vocal allowed for that, while providing a lot of variety. It didn't have to be as long as in the DJ edit, but man, it just gets me pumped listening to the clips! Maybe they'll put out a DJ set like the essentials mix sometime soon with it on there.

Still, no doubt, an incredible, powerful track. I just wish I didn't think the vocal would be part of the song for so long!

And I'm not sure how to feel about the placement. It didn't, upon first listen, flow with the vibe of the tracks on either side (the transition from No Reason goes hard, but I'm talking more about the feel of both tracks) - this into Fountains felt a bit jarring. It makes sense when you think about the album as, how some people have described it, more of a 3-act album, being with the other more modern and fully Chemical tracks. I wonder, do you guys think it would work as a closer? I used to be convinced it would be the closer, but now I'm not so sure.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: ; on Sep 12, 2023, 00:26
man, do I miss that Jesse Jackson vocal...
Anyone here could always "acquire" a flac of Rev. Jackson's speech from that Aretha Franklin record and put the relevant parts in the relevant places.
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Yes, but it will have to be someone with decent audio editing knowledge/talent (i.e. not me)

This song is so incredibly beautiful to me -  bittersweet and sad (at least that is the way I'm taking this right now). I love the way the vocal feels like it's drifting across the sky, the way the synth wails like it is a living grieving thing, and the way those scuttling, whirring sounds come softly bubbling and buzzing in its wake. 

Not sure what to think about this as being a closer, though. Not now anyway.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: ; on Sep 12, 2023, 00:26
I used to be convinced it would be the closer, but now I'm not so sure.
Thought the same, but tbh?
It works like that 3rd track on the album
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Champiness on Sep 12, 2023, 18:17
Anyone here could always "acquire" a flac of Rev. Jackson's speech from that Aretha Franklin record and put the relevant parts in the relevant places.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 25, 2023, 14:24

That's someone recording their record player through their mobile phone. I think the crying baby is actually in the home of the record owner rather than on the record. This does NOT count as a FLAC of the Jesse Jackson speech!
Champiness actually provided a FLAC in the link in his post.
Is there a "DJ Armchair" edit on the way Csar?  ;)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yeah, it's not the FLAC. Just found this YT video and thought I could post it here (the baby came up later when I already had done so :) ).
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 25, 2023, 14:38
Yeah, it's not the FLAC. Just found this YT video and thought I could post it here (the baby came up later when I already had done so :) ).
Credit to @hstn for finding it too.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Dang it, I even posted below him on the subject... Age is catching up with me it seems..
— Aurora (The Seed)