Push the Button

Goodbye (Big Beat Space Gospel)

Started by Csar, Jul 19, 2023, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one will be Big Beat Space Gospel?

4. Goodbye
24 (96%)
5. Fountains
0 (0%)
6. Magic Wand
1 (4%)
7. The Weight
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Quote from: Csar on Sep 25, 2023, 14:38
Yeah, it's not the FLAC. Just found this YT video and thought I could post it here (the baby came up later when I already had done so :) ).
Children really do ruin everything.  

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 25, 2023, 14:29
Is there a "DJ Armchair" edit on the way Csar? ;)
Alright, after my screwing up I thought I had to make up for it:

Big Beat Space Gospel (DJ Armchair edit, Wisenheimer Records)

Please log in to view this attachment.

If anyone would like the whole thing, let me know.
Last Edit: Sep 26, 2023, 10:48 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 25, 2023, 19:18

YO, THAT'S MASSIVE!

Meanwhile I've did a small re-construction of the "Too Hot" "Rock Witchu" vocal sample, but dunno where to upload it
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

I ABSOLUTELY DO! That's incredible! New version to listen to. I had the biggest smile on my face listening to that, that was exactly what I wanted from the album version!

And JRSZ, at least send it to me, I'd love to hear!
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

I'd love to hear the full version of this. I've never had the chance to go to any of their dj sets so it would be awesome to have the experience of hearing a recreation of it in such high quality!
Just get yourself high.

Happy you like it. PM'd you. There is no more stuff added and it's just the rest of Goodbye after these 2 minutes.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

There have been several occasions where I've liked or bought a record and not really thought about the source of its elements. Then later on, I was susprised to find out that there was a sample in there, and that it came from a source that I hadn't imagined.

E.G:
Groove Armada's "If Everybody Looked The Same". The female sounding vocal is a direct sample from the (male) Chi-Lites We Are Neighbors

Armand Van Helden's "My My My" (which incidentally reminds me of the "well well well" part of Class Action's "Weekend"). I assumed the vocal was by a female black soul singer. But nope, it's a direct sample from a white guy called Gary Wright, a 1981 song called Comin' Apart

When we first heard Goodbye on last year's Amnesia insta clips, I was guessing that the vocal might be from someone like Luther Vandross or a male session singer. It has taken me a little while to accept realise that the vocal is a direct sample of Good-bye by Teresa Harris.
Yes, I know the album notes make it clear. But at first I thought it was either an acknowledgement of the original song, or that some obscure element had been sampled. But no, the vocals have been directly sampled and pitched down to sound like a man (IMHO).

I guess I'm just demonstrating my "captain slow" credentials here, but if I've only just come to accept realise this, maybe others can relate...
Last Edit: Sep 28, 2023, 09:06 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

@Wolkenkrabber - Sometimes I don't even seek out the origins of samples anymore because it is disappointing to see how a track is built around someone else's work. Sometimes the right sample used the right way can be brilliant, and sometimes you find an artist just successfully used a bit of a song you weren't familiar with. And sadly, there are times when this is the case even for The Chemicals Brothers and Fatboy Slim, despite the brilliant ways they may present the music.

I mean, between copyright law and the flat out laziness of producers and listeners, the brilliance of Paul's Boutique by The Beastie Boys and The Dust Brothers stands alone while I'll Be Missing you by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans became the template for how hits are made. So, as an art form, I still think the Chems are way ahead of the game in creativity. It's not like Goodbye sounds like Good-bye, even after one hears them both (in my opinion).
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I also don't seek out origins of samples these days. Not for unearthing disappointments... though I've never thought about it from that angle before, and I do find that to be an interesting perspective and valid point.

Forum sleuths got the seeking-out grounds covered and are always a step ahead of me anyway! ;) I appreciate the discoveries unearthed and shared here - I find it fascinating (and geeky, in the best way!) sometimes these discoveries help the song click into place like an ah-ha moment... or maybe awaken a familiarity in a "I've heard that before... but where...?" kind of way. Always loved how the music triggers a familiar nerve somehow. 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Samples always interest and fascinate me. I am introduced to this element for the first time in this context the Chems or some other artist puts it in, and I get to know it in that context. So as I get to know the song better and become more familiar with the elements, I'll start checking the samples, and it is incredibly interesting to see these elements in their original intended context and how that contrasts with the new context the artist has put them into. It can add a new spin to a song, and often, it's just interesting and super cool to see the original clip and think, what about this element called out to the Chems? What made them decide to use this part specifically? 

Though I haven't found it to be the case with the Chems or Fatboy or most songs in general, I totally understand how it could take away from the experience of the song and make the actual song feel unoriginal in comparison. One time, I went on a sample-hunting spree, checking for samples on all of my favorite songs, and I saw Robot Rock by Daft Punk sampled a song. I thought "Cool, I wonder what element was the sample!" I clicked on it and played the song that Robot Rock sampled, and heard... Robot Rock. Like, it sounded pretty much exactly like the base loop of the song. It seemed like Daft Punk looped it, added some vocals sometimes, and the occasional synth or filter, and called it an original song. I am not knowledgeable about how these songs are made, but to me, it didn't feel like there was as much effort as there was in, say Block Rockin Beats or The Rockafeller Skank. I still love and enjoy that song, but feel that slight twang of guilt knowing that the core of the song is pretty far from original. 
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

You should really hear the Maximum Overdrive mix. Kinda wish Daft Punk went that direction with the song, it's way more fun and to be honest, more in line with the direction of the album.

Still I never found any Chems tracks to use a "lazy" sample like that. The only song that matches it mostly is Another World, which at first I found disappointing that the beautiful sounds were actually from a sample or Got To Keep On. But even so, why bother to be disappointed when artists especially like the Chems, use samples in their work? I think that it even makes it wonderful in a way, I've always seen it as a mutual respect between artists for one to use their work and the other for letting them plaster it on their music, I never really found it disappointing as long as the song doesn't necessarily rely on using one sample streched throughout the song in a "lazy" way, like Robot Rock did. And as far as the latest works from the Chems I've never seen them do lazy work in their tracks. And I mean tracks like Got To Keep On or No Reason, and in this case, Goodbye; and I really have to say, that the samples presented in those songs honestly don't feel like they revolve around them, but the samples make the song EVEN better. idk I've found the vocal samples from the chems actually very amazing and honestly I just wouldn't imagine me hearing GTKO or No Reason without those vocal samples and not having it stuck on my head for weeks
Insomnia.

I've struck out the word "accept" and replaced it with "realise" (or "realize" if you're American!) in my post above. It's not a disappointment, I'm just amazed that a sow's ear has been turned into a silk purse on this occasion. I can't say I'm a fan of the original song, but Goodbye is one of my fave tracks on FTBF.

Quote from: satur8 on Sep 27, 2023, 23:48
the brilliance of Paul's Boutique by The Beastie Boys and The Dust Brothers stands alone while I'll Be Missing you by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans became the template for how hits are made.
You've certainly touched on both ends of the sectrum there. I might add DJ Shadow's Endtroducing to the "good" (well, great) end of that spectrum.
I remember a younger work colleague once saying that Puff Daddy had improved The Police's track and my jaw dropped open. There's no accounting for taste...

Quote from: ; on Sep 28, 2023, 04:27
I saw Robot Rock by Daft Punk sampled a song. I thought "Cool, I wonder what element was the sample!" I clicked on it and played the song that Robot Rock sampled, and heard... Robot Rock. 
Yes I had that realisation right here on the forum.

Quote from: Zesty on Sep 28, 2023, 05:54
Still I never found any Chems tracks to use a "lazy" sample like that. The only song that matches it mostly is Another World

Yes that one cuught me a bit too. Another one is Got Glint.
I had seen a Black Devil (Disco Club) album on display in Phonica Records with a blurb from the store saying that the Chems were fans. I didn't know how Phonica knew that at the time, but it turns out that Bernard Fevre is the man behind that name. And the Chems sampled a really important chunk of Fevre's Earth Message for Got Glint. I would even suggest that Got Glint wouldn't really exist without Earth Message.

But just to reiterate why I've junped back in here: I think the sampling of Teresa Harris and the total re-imaginging of the song is really good! This is definitely one of the good ones!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: ; on Sep 25, 2023, 22:51
And JRSZ, at least send it to me, I'd love to hear!
fck it, I'll just drop it here for y'all 
It's not that much, but I did a small re-creation of the "Too Hot" rap and put it on top of Magic Wand.

Move to the other category if needed.
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

I'd LOVE that. Thank you so much!

So Wolkenkrabber asked the right questions at the Tom and Ed Q&A in the Guardian:

On your new album [For That Beautiful Feeling], you have reworked an obscure Teresa Harris track. The DJ version (at Amnesia Ibiza) features a Jesse Jackson speech which you previously sampled in your Ariel [Tom's pre-Chemical Brothers band] days. Any plans to release this? OffWorld1

Tom: There is an Andrew Weatherall connection there as well. He used to lay that Jesse Jackson speech down in the acid house days.

Ed: It's from an Aretha Franklin gospel album that Tom got me for my 21st, so it's a sacramental text. We like to make different versions for DJ-ing that we don't necessarily want to release.

Tom: I'd been working on the music and then found this obscure soul funk record by Teresa Harris featuring the Gene Parker Quintet and took the vocal. The power comes from those two worlds colliding in a really odd way. If there's any mad alchemy, we will always pursue it.
no idea, no idea

Heard this live last night and it was absolutely mind blowing! The power of that synth line genuinely had my hairs standing on end. I hope this gets released as the final single from the album and stays in their live set for years to come because it was a highlight.

Oh God yes. Those droning sounds are something else live. It's a beast!
Last Edit: Oct 27, 2023, 13:37 by Stefan

WAKE UP GOODBYE CREW AS WE'VE GOT TWO REALLY SWEET TREATS:

FIRST ONE IS AN OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO FOR GOODBYE:

THE SECOND IS THE EROL ALKAN'S 9 MINUTE REWORK OF IT: 
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?