So We Rollin' With the Chemicals and We Got the New Sound

Goodbye (Big Beat Space Gospel)

Started by Csar, Jul 19, 2023, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one will be Big Beat Space Gospel?

4. Goodbye
24 (96%)
5. Fountains
0 (0%)
6. Magic Wand
1 (4%)
7. The Weight
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

:partyG This thoroughly deserved its own music video! 

Quote from: 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵 on Nov 03, 2023, 04:21
WAKE UP GOODBYE CREW AS WE'VE GOT TWO REALLY SWEET TREATS FIRST ONE IS AN OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO FOR GOODBYE

INVIGORATING! A new single busting through! Love this visual! Love that buzzing sound! Too bad I couldn't get this at Coach!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Well, that was some experience
no idea, no idea

Is the video the live visuals? I don't want to spoil anything for the O2 tomorrow!
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

:luv
Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Oh, I just saw this morning's tweets thinking I might be first to mention it here. But no; someone was awake at 4am...
Did they sneak this out at midnight UK time without even giving us a tease or heads up?
Ah, YouTube suggests the video was upped 7 hours ago, so that's 4am (without a Heads Up).

So the video is the "Hallmark" video. Has the editing changed since they first started using this at live gigs, or nah?

Thoughts on Erol's mix: it's long but perhaps not as engaging as the BBSG/live version. My mind started to wander around 6:30 onwards. The big beat/breakbeat drums are gone from this version. I'm sure DJs will like it for mixing though.

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1720383689115234531

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1720395645532475750

YT description tells us the video is by Black Dog films (Directed by Smith & Lyall) and provides the lyrics
Spoiler
til we meet again
oh my love
x2

oh my love

oh my love

til we meet again
oh my love
x2

oh my love

oh my love

seems so long my love
when you say goodbye
i cry

til we meet again
oh my love
x2

oh my love

oh my love

seems so long my love
when you say goodbye
i cry

seems so long my love
when you say goodbye
i cry

Oh, looks like people have posted in the past few minutes whilst I was doing this post. Answer to @sneakerbeater 's question is yes.

EDIT: oh there's also an...edit of the Erol rework:
Last Edit: Nov 03, 2023, 11:43 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Nov 03, 2023, 11:16
Is the video the live visuals? I don't want to spoil anything for the O2 tomorrow!
Yes, very similar.

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Nov 03, 2023, 11:16
Yes, it's the live visuals.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 03, 2023, 11:23
Answer to @sneakerbeater 's question is yes.

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Nov 03, 2023, 14:01
Yes, very similar.

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 03, 2023, 15:48
Yes, it's the live visuals.

Well Sneaker, that's three in a row with a reply to your question!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Mr. Party Poop here

I'm lost finding the concept of "Goodbye", and the visual/video doesn't really help. Does it sound different? Sure. But that's two cornerstone type tracks from the more recent albums, that just don't do it for me (other being "Got to Keep On"). And before anyone adds, sorry boys, the Jesse Jackson intro does nothing for me...

I actually think the Erol Alkan re-work is an improvement. In similar fashion, I feel "Fantai" is the superior version of "Got to Keep On". 

Good news is I really enjoy FTBF a lot, but again, "Goodbye" not really a moment I look forward to. Bummer.

I genuinely think this might be one of the CB greatest ever songs, the more I listen to it.

I've played it for a few family and friends who don't mind the Chems more poppier stuff and they've told me it's just a loud noise ... which makes me love it even more. I feel like this song is beautiful and yet truly intimidating when that 2nd buzzing synth kicks in!

Then I witnessed it live last week and it just cemented its greatest. I highly doubt Goodbye will go down as one of their most popular songs but I can see it being a treasured track by us fans.

Goodbye is my favorite FTBF track and one of the brothers' best songs, in my opinion. However, I didn't really like the edited version of the video, as it cut out some of the best synth parts. I don't really like the visuals either, to be honest. It even works well as a backdrop at live concerts, but not as a music video. I didn't feel there was any "chemistry" between those actors and most of the scenes looks kind of generic to me (like toothpaste advertising). Smith & Lyall have done so much better using similar concepts... (like Swoon).
But I'm very happy that Goodbye has reached single status! I also really liked Erol Alkan's remix!
Just get yourself high.

Im kind of with Bosco on this one, feel like a bit of a philistine but not feeling the track at all. Its ok on the album, not one of my favourite tracks, but live, at the gig I just think it kind of evokes sad feelings and brings you down or something. The video is pretty much completely out of kilter with the rest of the visuals at the gig too. 

Maybe I'll come around to it...
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 03, 2023, 18:52
Mr. Party Poop here

I'm lost finding the concept of "Goodbye", and the visual/video doesn't really help. Does it sound different? Sure. But that's two cornerstone type tracks from the more recent albums, that just don't do it for me (other being "Got to Keep On"). And before anyone adds, sorry boys, the Jesse Jackson intro does nothing for me...

I actually think the Erol Alkan re-work is an improvement. In similar fashion, I feel "Fantai" is the superior version of "Got to Keep On". 

Good news is I really enjoy FTBF a lot, but again, "Goodbye" not really a moment I look forward to. Bummer.
I wish the drums were more live sampled/big beat sounding. The synths are raw and noisy while the drum samples choices feel a bit flat. I would like a beat that erupts a bit more and sounds more lively. Kinda like the live sounding drums on I'll See You There or the chorus of Saturate.

Quote from: neorev on Nov 06, 2023, 15:36
I wish the drums were more live sampled/big beat sounding. The synths are raw and noisy while the drum samples choices feel a bit flat. I would like a beat that erupts a bit more and sounds more lively. Kinda like the live sounding drums on I'll See You There or the chorus of Saturate.
Absolutely. What this tracks lacks is a number of individual drum fills and variations of the beat itself. It goes on forever without any real interesting change making it feel like just a loop. Imagine what fills could do it, especially at peak points, it would add more depth and liveliness.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Nov 07, 2023, 11:08
Absolutely. What this tracks lacks is a number of individual drum fills and variations of the beat itself. It goes on forever without any real interesting change making it feel like just a loop. Imagine what fills could do it, especially at peak points, it would add more depth and liveliness.
Yeah I agree too. It reminds me of a lot of nuskool breaks released in the late-noughties. Very rigid beats, not much swing or variation. I'm kind of surprised they'd use beats like this when they're so renowned for live drum samples and arrangements. 

It's still a banging tune though imo. Hearing it live brought a tear to my eye (in a good way)

I'm lost finding the concept of "Goodbye" ... But that's two cornerstone type tracks from the more recent albums, that just don't do it for me (other being "Got to Keep On"). ...

Well that is a bummer! I promise not to pity your childhood because you don't dig the 1970s-meets-2019 (retro-future?) vibes of GTKO, or indeed the Chemical alchemy of melding an old soul vocal with fizzing, epic space synths on "Goodbye", but hey what can you do? If you don't dig it, you don't dig it!

Quote from: hubie on Nov 07, 2023, 11:40
It reminds me of a lot of nuskool breaks released in the late-noughties.
Being reminded of Nu-skool breaks is a good thing! (I would however argue that Nu skool breaks were early noughties, e.g. Plump DJ's Eargasm came out in 2003. By about 2006 I seem to remember Breaks being usurped in the clubs by electro and disco-house. And I wasn't happy!). I have no problem with this sounding like a breaks track. Perhaps I should have christened this thing "Breakbeat Space Gospel" rather than "big beat" back when I first bandied that 'name' about on the forum.

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Nov 03, 2023, 20:03
I genuinely think this might be one of the CB greatest ever songs, the more I listen to it.
Halleluia! - as Jesse Jackson might say.

Quote from: thg on Nov 04, 2023, 03:07
Goodbye is my favorite FTBF track
And another Halleluia!  It is one of the tracks I look forward to most on the album. My only complaint being that it's too short. So I'm grateful to Csar for his recreation of the longer version. I actually prefer Csar's recreation* of the DJ version to Erol Alkan's official rework. Because Erol loses the breakbeats.

Y'know the way some people don't dig the Chems at all? Or the way some people don't dig any form of dance or electronic music - not house, not rave, not techno, not breaks, not electro - none of it. I feel like they're missing out on something there. And that's kinda how I feel when people say they don't like this track!

*Csar did not pay me to say this. Yet.
Last Edit: Nov 07, 2023, 13:41 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

@Wolkenkrabber

Yeah I know what you mean. I was kind of involved in the scene back in the day and one of the main reasons I felt it was dying out towards the end of the '00s was the overuse of generic and derivative beat programming, like that discussed above (amongst many other things, but I'd better not digress into that too much, I could rant for days on that topic alone!)

It was a big contrast to the (much better imho) earlier period of breaks in the late '90s and early '00s when it was much more creative and had a greater variety of sampled and programmed beats, as it had transitioned from the more 'analogue' sounds of big beat and rave.

As I type this I realise I'm maybe dunking a bit on the beats in Goodbye, which I'm not intending to. I just feel the rigidity of the beat pattern is similar.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 03, 2023, 11:23
someone was awake at 4am...
Sorry not sorry, Insomnia kicks in :D
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

I feel "Fantai" is the superior version of "Got to Keep On".
Although I like both a lot, I am a firm supporter of Fantai being the best version of Got To Keep On. It's a crime that is is not playable on Apple Music (in the U.S.).

However, Goodbye is one of my favorite tracks from the current album. I enjoy the full version of Erol's rework as well, but for me the original is a highlight among highlights.

That said, the video does nothing for me.

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?