Fake Chemical Brothers Bandcamp profile

Started by Csar, Sep 13, 2023, 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: neorev on Sep 07, 2023, 20:23
Chems released the album early thru their Bandcamp

Note: Link deleted due to scam profile

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 08, 2023, 12:48
Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 08, 2023, 07:16
Did they have removed this? Link gets me nowhere and searching on the app says theres no Chems on Bandcamp (except that Charlatans vs Chems EP)

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 08, 2023, 08:32
Doesn't work for me either. Let's hope it's just some error, Bandcamp is my favourite place to buy digital music.

Woah! I was surprised the Chems were on Bandcamp when it was mentioned before. Go back to the source page on Bandcamp and you get this thechemicalbrothers based in... Houston, Texas (!).

I'm gonna suggest that someone did something very naughty here. They pretended to be the Chems and whacked the Chems music up on Bandcamp for some quick $$$ !
This would explain why, once the extended mix of Skipping Like A Stone got withdrawn from Beatport & BeatSource, it remained up on that Bandcamp page. Until now.

It would also explain the "early release" yesterday. That wasn't a Chemical decision, was it? They put the leak up.  More quick $$$. Naughty Texan impersonators! 

I can confirm that the Bandcamp profile was a scam and taken down when they noticed that.
Has anyone purchased any Chemical music through that site?
Last Edit: Sep 13, 2023, 20:13 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Oh, bummer. Well, I hope the scammer is happy with the 12$ he got from my purchases of Chems music at Bandcamp.
At least it looks like it really was authentic Flac files (as far as I can tell), so was I even scammed? I got what I paid for. Of course this still sucks, it never would've occured to me that this wasn't an official page.

Quote from: Csar on Sep 13, 2023, 19:43
I can confirm that the Bandcamp profile was a scam and taken down when they noticed that.
That sucks. I did purchase the Skipping single (for the Extended Mix) and now feel quite bad.
And, as a result of the page being taken down, it doesn't appear in my collection - so no chance of getting a download in a different format (not that I ever go back for anything other than MP3 if I'm honest).

So, make that $14 total from Stefan & me. Sorry T&E  ???
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Bought the Skipping extended, but unlike Enjoyed it is still shown in my collection
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 13, 2023, 20:09
Oh, bummer. Well, I hope the scammer is happy with the 12$ he got from my purchases of Chems music at Bandcamp.
At least it looks like it really was authentic Flac files (as far as I can tell), so was I even scammed? 

No, the Chems were!
What's your confirmation source @Csar ?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 22:23
No, the Chems were!
Actually, both were! Chems are obvious, but also the customer are victims here. First, you don't know the source/origin or the file you got (Contaminated? Quality?). And second, you also don't get the all the services/ benefits that come with a Bandcamp purchase. When you buy music there you get unlimited access to their app streams of your purchase and unlimited access to your files in all the formats that were advertised.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 22:23
What's your confirmation source @Csar ?
I asked Errol.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Holy crap, this blows on many levels! Thank you for confirming this and for always keeping a lookout, @Csar !

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Csar on Sep 13, 2023, 19:43
Only "Direkt Buki"
I think they'll forgive me and use the magic wand to bless this copy
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Csar on Sep 13, 2023, 22:59
Actually, both were! Chems are obvious, but also the customer are victims here. First, you don't know the source/origin or the file you got (Contaminated? Quality?). And second, you also don't get the all the services/ benefits that come with a Bandcamp purchase. When you buy music there you get unlimited access to their app streams of your purchase and unlimited access to your files in all the formats that were advertised.
Yeah, you're right. And, as Whirly pointed out, huge thanks for the clarification.
Luckily the files themselves look authentic (i.e. high-quality files of Chems music) to me (virus scan didn't detect anything, and a comparison with Spek of Velodrome between the mp3 downloaded from Amazon and the flac from Bandcamp shows me that the latter has more information in it).
Still, this is a major fuck-up by Bandcamp and it now makes me wonder whether any of the music I bought there is official, because none of the bands list Bandcamp on their homepage. It certainly can't be that users have to check this themselves. Bandcamp needs to implement some kind of verification system before I'll buy from them again.

Yeah, I was wondering why they'd use the old WATN art when it's the new one everywhere else. Some covers just seemed to be scans, too. Man, this sucks :(
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

I bought Live again for the extended version which was $2. I was too late, or Csar was fast enough to avoid, to buy Skipping like a stone.
Seemed legit as both instrumental versions were also anounced on the USB stick. Is that legit?
They only dodgy thing I noticed is the buy all discography for €148. Never seen that option before. 
What made you questioning the authenticity of the Bandcamp page @Csar?

Quote from: Joslyn on Sep 15, 2023, 05:59
I bought Live again for the extended version which was $2. I was too late, or Csar was fast enough to avoid, to buy Skipping like a stone.
Seemed legit as both instrumental versions were also anounced on the USB stick. Is that legit?
They only dodgy thing I noticed is the buy all discography for €148. Never seen that option before.
Check original Skyscraper's post.
All the situation is really sucks. :(
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Sep 15, 2023, 07:23
Check original Skyscraper's post.
All the situation is really sucks. :(
Yes Detective Wolkenkrabber/Skyscraper figured it out (see the first post at the top, where Detective Wolkenkrabber is quoted by @Csar  from another thread). He's still waiting for his forum medal though...

I think that Houston based "Chemical Brothers" account had been on Bandcamp for quite a while too. Amazing that the Chems or their people didn't even know whether or not they were legitimately on Bandcamp. I mean @Bosco  more or less demonstrated that Tom/Chems used a Bandcamp compilation for the sample sources/inspiration for Goodbye and I Want To Know. And I've seen Ed mention James Holroyd (aka "Begin") having music on Bandcamp.

@Joslyn where you say "both instrumental versions" I presume you mean "extended versions"?
Because if you have instrumental versions, I need to know more!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Joslyn on Sep 15, 2023, 05:59
It was you guys first and foremost. I would have never thought they were even there if it wasn't for the sleuths here. I then got this gut feeling because, usually, big name artists with big label deals don't sell their music there since this platform is meant for a more direct support of (up and coming, independent) bands/ musicians without an intermediary that usually want a big junk of their proceeds.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 15, 2023, 08:35
Yes Detective Wolkenkrabber/Skyscraper figured  He's still waiting for his forum medal though...
Look again!
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 15, 2023, 10:06
It was you guys first and foremost. I would have never thought they were even there if it wasn't for the sleuths here. I then got this gut feeling because, usually, big name artists with big label deals don't sell their music there since this platform is meant for a more direct support of (up and coming, independent) bands/ musicians without an intermediary that usually want a big junk of their proceeds.
Look again!

Radiohead have a Bandcamp page. It's 100% legit and promoted by the band themselves. Labels can create pages on there too. The Prodigy have a few releases on Bandcamp due to the label Cooking Vinyl having a Bandcamp. I wish more major artists had Bandcamp pages. 

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 15, 2023, 08:35
Yes Detective Wolkenkrabber/Skyscraper figured it out 

Legend!! Thank you 🙏🏻 !! 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 15, 2023, 13:40
How does this gif keep getting better!?!?! I was content with one or two amazing thumbs up. That many just blew my mind! If I had a mind...

Detective Wolkenkrabber/Skyscraper on the case to nab the notorious Bandcamp Bruts. 
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

So now that we know this was all wrong and "blows on many levels"™ - the only legal source for Skipping [Extended] at the moment is the USB version of FTBF? And if there was no other source of it, how come this was up that many days before the release of the USB stick? The USB stick was not sold on any other platform than the official webshop as far as i know. How could the scammers (if it was not a single person) get access to it?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 15, 2023, 17:07
the only legal source for Skipping [Extended] at the moment is the USB version of FTBF? And if there was no other source of it, how come this was up that many days before the release of the USB stick? The USB stick was not sold on any other platform than the official webshop as far as i know. How could the scammers (if it was not a single person) get access to it?
Back to the detective Wolkenkrabber comment:

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 08, 2023, 12:48
Woah! I was surprised the Chems were on Bandcamp when it was mentioned before. Go back to the source page on Bandcamp and you get this thechemicalbrothers based in... Houston, Texas (!).

I'm gonna suggest that someone did something very naughty here. They pretended to be the Chems and whacked the Chems music up on Bandcamp for some quick $$$ !
This would explain why, once the extended mix of Skipping Like A Stone got withdrawn from Beatport & BeatSource, it remained up on that Bandcamp page. Until now.

It would also explain the "early release" yesterday. That wasn't a Chemical decision, was it? They put the leak up.  More quick $$$. Naughty Texan impersonators! 

PS this means that the Extended mix of Skipping is currently only legally available on the USB stick, right?

The Extended mix was uploaded to Beatport. It seems this was a mistake, rather than anything naughty.
I wouldn't bet against the extended mix reappearing on Beatport and elsewhere once the video comes out. Perhaps when other official remixes of the track appear too.

PS: Thanks for the GIF Pum! Very touching.
IT'S MORNING TIME!