It Doesn't Matter

Fountains isn’t being discussed enough

Started by whirlygirl, Sep 17, 2023, 20:21

Previous topic - Next topic
There was some good discussion going about Fountains shortly after release and it seems to have gotten buried in the daunting mega For That Beautiful Feeling thread. I was chatting with a friend briefly about this yesterday and saw some chatter on Discord today so I thought hey, Fountains needs a thread.

So - has anyone else found they are connecting with this song in an unexpected way?  :partyG

I wasn't sure at first. First impressions had me scratching my head, and now I can't seem to get Fountains *out* of my head.

It's a fabulous entrance to what I feel to be the heady trio (Fountains, Magic Wand, The Weight) of the album. The beat is intoxicating with the swagger of youthful exuberance, with the vocals and melody effervescing like champagne flowing at an after-party. And that whirling funkiness around the 2 minute mark? Dude. Sounds like some funky keys and I like it. That's some serious fire. And the way the song slips into the bewitching Magic Wand... it's perfect.

Seriously was not expecting to come away liking this song SO much. It really surprised me in the best way!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Sep 17, 2023, 20:21
So - has anyone else found they are connecting with this song in an unexpected way? 
Pete Tong likes it. Does that count?
I was listening to his 8th September show on catch up yesterday and he played two tracks from FTBF: The Weight... and then three songs later in his ""Eclectic Selection" he played Fountains.
In the context of his show, Fountains sounded better than a lot of the other stuff he played.
My feeling is that the track might work well on the film soundtrack to something fun and upbeat like a Clueless remake (which itself was a remake of course). I'm yet to be convinced it really fits the FTBF album, but am also mildly jealous of those who are connecting with it more than I am!
Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 22:41 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I love it. On first listen it was my favorite of the "new" stuff, but on repeat listens I find myself gravitating to it even more than some of the other heavy hitters on the album. Also, I listened before I knew it was Tom on the vocals and I'm glad I did: I know my opinion was not swayed with this knowledge. And it's not just the vocals that do it for me...it's the whole thing together. But Tom needs to sing on more tracks  because every one he's on is just amazing.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

At first I wasn't so keen on it, like a pure: WTF IS THAT, mainly because of it coming after such in your face blast track as Goodbye which was a massive change of the mood, but as I kept re-listening to it it really started to grow on me, Tom's Falsetto is really unique for sure.
But oh god, I'd totally sacriface it, or Harvest Mix for the longer Magic Wand, as the end of MW sounds like cut before the giant drop
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Yes, 100% on board if Tom wanted to sing on more tracks! The falsetto in Fountains shows off his range and talent. Maybe I am looking into it too much but it would seem the vocals here on Fountains have more an air of confidence than say the more modest vocal offerings on Wonders of the Deep and Radiate. Sing more, Tom!

I like it, gets better every listen. It's a big beat track disguised as an indie track. I'm almost confident I'll hear it on a hip Muzak station at some point (looking at you, Chipotle).

The drums at least deserve be put in the live set (around the slower tempo BRB/C-H-E-M/Galvanize).

agree totally with the title of this thread! i went into my first listen knowing what the obvious bangers were. and then this trio of tracks just totally undermined that expectation.

i love how it sits in the middle of the record so naturally. the psychedelic, prog rock meanderings in the middle of fountains hit me every time, and feel so right in the context of this album. connects things to the whole Pink Floyd sensations of this album,

the live at the social digital release just appeared for me before the album drop, and i gave it the first listen in years..it's so great. and the soul permeating fountains just floored me when i heard it. since magic wand is so short, i didn't even realize at first that the beginning of the weight wasn't just the breakdown in that track. i was just like "where have they been hiding these gems from ≈EPD???" such a nice modern take on this old vibe. anybody else get big time feelings of their voodoo people remix?

Eight or over.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Sep 18, 2023, 17:46
The guitar gives me Nile Rogers vibes.

Hmmm... interesting! I was getting more Prince 'Kiss' vibes initially.

Quote from: Biff on Sep 19, 2023, 19:14
I like it, gets better every listen. It's a big beat track disguised as an indie track. I'm almost confident I'll hear it on a hip Muzak station at some point (looking at you, Chipotle).

The drums at least deserve be put in the live set (around the slower tempo BRB/C-H-E-M/Galvanize).
Haha! Noooooo Muzak noooo!

I don't know what I'd do if I heard this live, I'd probably lose my shit!

Quote from: GLAKO-FAHN on Sep 20, 2023, 21:34
the live at the social digital release just appeared for me before the album drop, and i gave it the first listen in years..it's so great. and the soul permeating fountains just floored me when i heard it. since magic wand is so short, i didn't even realize at first that the beginning of the weight wasn't just the breakdown in that track. i was just like "where have they been hiding these gems from ≈EPD???" such a nice modern take on this old vibe. anybody else get big time feelings of their voodoo people remix?

Yes to pretty much everything you said and this bit resonates a lot. Voodoo People remix... maybe? I had not thought of that. 

I find it fascinating to see the response to this song, and how it feels familiar or has a vibe that reminds you of something...

Sounds like a Nintendo song to me. Love it!