You Should Feel What I Feel

Music Response 001 (Costumes Exhibition)

Started by ThePumisher, Oct 11, 2023, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sounds awesome!

As per Smith&Lyall

Opening hours:
14-29 October 2023
Fridays 2pm-7pm
Saturdays & Sundays 11am-5pm
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Oh man, how cool is that? Would see this in a heartbeat if I could! 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I can't wait to get myself to the bustling megalopolis of Wincanton (pop 5,272) for this!

I see Claire in the Insta comments says "this is just down the road" from her. Well congrats to Claire; she might just get the whole exhibition to hersef!

Flippant comments aside, it would be nice to get this exhibition in a city like London and/or Manchester. London doesn't just have large galleries like the Tate and the V&A, it has numerous small ones too. So if this exhibition is on the smaller side, I imagine it could be easily accomodated.

I see somebody else has suggested an art space in Coventry, to which Smith & Lyall have replied "tell 'em we're up for it!", so fingers crossed that Wincanton is a "dry run" and that somewhere more accessible might host the exhibition in the near future.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

If they ever do another "Live" film, they totally need to replicate those comedy/tragedy masks as seen in the MAH visual, and hand them out to the crowd and instruct them to please wear them. It would be very much a rip-off of V for Vendetta/Anonymous, but would be amazing sequence to capture and then edit.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 11, 2023, 22:37
I can't wait to get myself to the bustling megalopolis of Wincanton (pop 5,272) for this!

Flippant comments aside, it would be nice to get this exhibition in a city like London and/or Manchester.
According to my google maps, the exhibition is a 2,5h drive by car from central London. Or 8,5h by train. Or 12h you ride a bike.
no idea, no idea

Can't help but notice its very close to Glasto!

perhaps it will move to london ahead of the o2 show
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

WTF! I am in London until Monday. I think I just sorted my Sunday plans...
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: rynostar on Oct 12, 2023, 18:54
WTF! I am in London until Monday. I think I just sorted my Sunday plans...
You're prepared do that in about 5 hours round trip by car? Or 16 hours round trip by train (going by Pumisher's post which I haven't actually fact checked)?
If you do actually do it, I admire your dedication. And demand to see photos!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 12, 2023, 19:03
You're prepared do that in about 5 hours round trip by car? Or 16 hours round trip by train (going by Pumisher's post which I haven't actually fact checked)?
If you do actually do it, I admire your dedication. And demand to see photos!

Direct by train / coach is a no go. Train to gillingham (Dorset) is possible. Maybe hire a cab from there???

My friend also lives in Frome not too far away...

I went. It was amazing. Here is my LONG review.

Smith & Lyall - Music Response 001
Is Ryno crazy enough to travel to Wincanton Somerset for a chems related exhibit...Yes he is that crazy.

Somehow the stars aligned that I am in England, this exhibit is taking place, and my friend moved to Somerset recently. Today (Sunday) is the last day of a multi-week European Grand Tour. With us (the forum) learning of the exhibit only a few days ago, I recognized this is a one in a lifetime opportunity.

As I formulated a plan with my friend to come, she informed me that her boyfriend lives 4 doors down from the space. Even they were surprised the exhibit was taking place in Wincanton. After my friend picked me up from Templecombe Station, we drove ten minutes through the green rolling hills and into Wincanton. As we get into town going up the High Street, we approach and drive past an otherwise unassuming building with the two GTKO wavy suits in the front window. I mention to my friend as we pass that I'm certain the designer (Kate Tabor) was inside amongst the crowd of ten or so people. We parked but walked past the exhibit space. Me and my friend had not connected for five years meaning we needed time for catching up and coffee. Plus, I knew once in the exhibit, it would be tough to pull me away. I estimated needing at least an hour in the space.

When finally arriving at the exhibit, there were approximately 5 people in the space of two rooms. Even though the rooms are small, it was split between four (4) sections for different songs; GTKO, EOD, and MAH in main room; No Reason in the back room. Soon after arriving, I was greeted by whom I correctly guessed was Kate Tabor with a baby in her arms. After introducing myself and letting her know I was part of the forum, I asked the big question.

Why Wincanton?

Answer: "She lives upstairs and the space was available"

She was very lovely and very kind in answering my questions. She did confirm the exhibit is an early run before taking a scaled up version to the V&A in the Spring. She also remarked how Adam and Marcus had been assisting in setting up the space in the past week. I asked if she was working with the team on new designs which she confirmed a new project would take place in the spring. I spoke with her three times through my time there asking if I could take photos and specific questions about the pieces.

The Collection:
GTKO Room
At the front of the space was the wavy pink costumes in the window fronts on both sides of the door. On the left side, The four (4) shapes (pyramid, sphere, box, cylinder) stood in a line. The right side had television showing a muted visual of the GTKO video and had a space for Kate and her assistant to sit.

EOD Room
In the back left portion of the room up a two set of stairs was the EOD section. It had the Electric Villain helmet, the full Green Gobule suit, and the submarine helmet and gigantic hands of the woolly villain on the left. At the back wall was the Eve suit with two green henchman on either side pointing outward. Like the other room, a screen was playing muted EOD visuals in the right "false wall" as you came up the stairs. I asked Kate about the missing parts of the costumes. She said they were hoping to showcase them (including an absent slinky villain) at the next exhibit where they could have more space.

As a bonus in this room, the devil costume Mark wears for MAH was set on a plinth by the pillar on the right side of the room. A framed photo of the Mark in said costume was around the corner which led into..

MAH room
the back right of the main room was the MAH room. When coming up the stairs from the main room, you first see the tragedy / comedy masks on the right in a 3 down 4 across pattern. To the left is the straw man costume from ??? (I can't remember right now). Continuing on the right wall is White King crown and mask inside a plexi box. In the corner was a framed print of the Mad White King with a live audience in the foreground. There was also another muted video with MAH playing on the back wall next to a doorway leading into the...

No Reason room
This room was entirely painted black with the only light coming from the entry. The three walls you face as you enter each have a screen playing the full visuals of No Reason with two speakers in the corners. The screens setup like you see in live shows with the back wall being the main image and the side walls having the secondary screens. The amazing part is the screens reflect off all sides giving an infinity mirror illusion.

Summary and (FTB)Feelings
It was a day of pure joy. Being able to get so close to the costumes was surreal. I found myself taking photos from multiple angles of each piece. I would guess that a future exhibit at the V&A will keep guests at a distance to protect the pieces. To be able to ask Kate questions was amazing. When describing the collection to my friend (who has no chems knowledge) I described it as the fun playful welcoming side and the dark evil side clashing to this battle between costumes of heroes and villains in the main room.

I took 138 photos with the DSLR camera (I brought for another project I am working on) and another 42 with my phone. There were times in the hour where there were a few families or older couples in the exhibit. There was also a few moments when I was the sole attendee. When my friend returned, we had a pint at a lovely pub and toured the hills of Wincanton before she had to run another errand. I had an extra hour to buy food, tour a few others bits of town, and head back to the exhibit for 10 minutes to thank Kate and her assistant before having to catch a cab back to Templecombe station.

Note: I will post photos soon. If anyone can provide a good image share platform (not instagram) for a large set of photos, let me know.
Last Edit: Oct 15, 2023, 20:08 by rynostar

Finally got back to WiFi land. Upload quality is not great. Hopefully this provides some idea of the No Reason room. Tough to capture the full experience while also holding a bigger camera. Let me know if people can't see the video.

Quote from: rynostar on Oct 15, 2023, 16:57
As I formulated a plan with my friend to come, she informed me that her boyfriend lives 4 doors down from the space.
That's bonkers!

I was greeted by whom I correctly guessed was  [1]  Kate Tabor with a baby in her arms. After introducing myself and letting her know I was part of the forum, I asked the big question.

Why Wincanton?

Answer: [2] "She lives upstairs and the space was available"
[1] Fantastic!
[2] Aha. Mystery solved.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 11, 2023, 22:37
London doesn't just have large galleries like the Tate and the V&A
...fingers crossed that Wincanton is a "dry run" and that somewhere more accessible might host the exhibition in the near future.

She did confirm the exhibit is an early run before taking a scaled up version to the V&A in the Spring.
Well well well! I knew Bowie had had an exhibition at the V&A but he was a bigger name. I never imagined that a Chemical exhibition would take place there in any shape or form.

she confirmed a new project would take place in the spring.
Exclusive!

MAH room
...To the left is the straw man costume from ??? (I can't remember right now).
CHEMICAL?

No Reason room
This room was entirely painted black with the only light coming from the entry. The three walls you face as you enter each have a screen playing the full visuals of No Reason...
Any marching band costumes?

Being able to get so close to the costumes was surreal... To be able to ask Kate questions was amazing.
Indeed, you got something a little bit unique there.
I'll wait for the V&A (the actual V&A!!) before I visit the exhibition, but nonetheless look forward to your photos. Top of the class for your (Chemical) school report.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Wow, that sounds like a great experience, thanks for the report!

The new project next spring might be new visuals for the shows next year?

V&A is of course big! I've visited it already twice, it would be amazing to see the costumes there. Maybe I can find an excuse to hop over to London next spring ;D
But I'm sure that you're right about not being as up-close and intimate as in a small gallery,  with a considerable lower chance to meet and chat with Kate Tabor herself.
Last Edit: Oct 16, 2023, 06:54 by Stefan

I'm going to this on Sunday, I'm going to guess the strawman is the one from the Bango visual in the last tour with the lawn mower that I pestered Smith and Lyall about on instagram lol
I'm also the one that suggested they come up to Cov with the exhibit. I suspect it won't happen but the place is only open until next March... and I thought it might be a really good way to get some support to them before the council turf them out.

Bango visual

@rynostar why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it! The stars aligned perfectly  :) What a cool experience to see the first exhibit like this of its kind, and get a chance to speak with Kate Tabor! And it's extra cool you got to meet up with your friend, too! Thank you so much for reporting back and sharing, and for representing the forum!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 15, 2023, 21:44
Any marching band costumes?
Nope. Just a dark room with the av setup. I asked about them and Kate confirmed that they were red and white like in the photos we've seen.
Quote from: Stefan on Oct 16, 2023, 06:15
V&A is of course big! I've visited it already twice, it would be amazing to see the costumes there
Was just there on Friday trying to find a favorite sculpture (didn't find it but found my other fav; Bronze Age by Rodin). I could see them using the photography section on level 2 for an exhibit. Kate, Adam, and Marcus wouldn't have the pull like the Bowie or current Chanel exhibits. They still fit well in other sections.

Quote from: elcomplicado on Oct 16, 2023, 17:19
I'm going to this on Sunday
Huzzah! More of us! Go to the Nog Inn after. Very cozy. Also go for a walk up the hill if you have time.
Quote from: elcomplicado on Oct 16, 2023, 17:19
I'm going to guess the strawman is the one from the Bango visual in the last tour with the lawn mower

That's it! I never knew this was a thing!...or I just have blanked it from my memory...

that's a super cool adventure. always appreciate the reasons to go off the beaten path where few other tourists go.

Please log in to view this attachment.

Here's a few photos (finally!). Thanks to Csar on the upload save.

DSLR photos to come (once I finally get home tonight).

Last Edit: Oct 17, 2023, 19:19 by Csar