2024/ 02/ 1st,2nd, and 3rd LIVE @ Tokyo Garden 東京庭園 - Tokyo, Japan 東京、日本

Started by Bosco, Jan 05, 2024, 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Let the hype begin!

誇大広告を始めましょう

Native speakers, please contribute!

ネイティブスピーカーの方、ぜひご協力ください!

::cheers

Anyone know what i hear on their Instagram storie by mizu.skyline ?

https://www.instagram.com/stories/thechemicalbrothers/3293177828350245367?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=M29obHhyMTlueTA5

https://www.instagram.com/stories/mizu.skyline/3293116831942564855?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MWUybGhpNHdhd3JydQ==

Edit: on the original story on mizu.skyline's page you can hear the "let your heart see the coulours"-sample from TDTYF. But what is the music? Is it a transition?
Last Edit: Feb 01, 2024, 21:24 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

This is the new and incredibly awesome new live version of TDTYF that I've been praising since their Birmingham and London O2 gigs last year. It's so so sooo f-ing good. The segue from NG is brilliant and the dreamy sequences are just otherworldly. With perhaps some more elements/effects, THIS should have made the album!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm very curious if a 3 show residence will produce any setlist variation throughout the 3 nights...

Also, really hoping that 3 shows at the same exact venue can produce a new live film/album...

Either way, the instagram stories indicate a really great crowd for night 1!

Looks like they did a special edition lithograph. I presume that's Tokyo tower (?) w/No Reason flag boy.
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 03:40 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 02, 2024, 06:31
I'm very curious if a 3 show residence will produce any setlist variation throughout the 3 nights...

Also, really hoping that 3 shows at the same exact venue can produce a new live film/album...

A different setlist would be very unusual for them, I wouldn't expect it.

Yeah, looked like an amazing crowd!

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 02, 2024, 06:31

Based on the book would probably rule out another live album/film for a while

Shame the setlists not changed at all since the o2 - was maybe foolish for thinking it might.
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

True, the band wasn't too optimistic about the live movie. Maybe now that they've done it (and are happy with the results, too) they're a bit more open to the idea?
Multiple shows at the same venue would be the optimal setup for such a production, as is also written in the book (even Don't Think uses some footage of the stage that wasn't done at the Fuji Rock festival, though they never admit that :D ).
But please don't get your hopes up, I think another live film is really unlikely.

GTKO & Wide Open

DYOH > Saturate > Goodbye > Setting Sun Rework > Chemical Beats > Galvanize

The entire encore with good sound, although lacking a bit bass:
No Geography > The Darkness > The Reel

Encore, different source
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 15:30 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 02, 2024, 07:16
I presume that's Toyko tower (?) w/No Reason flag boy.

It's the Tokyo Sky Tree.
Tokyo Tower looks like a smaller, orange coloured Eiffel Tower.
no idea, no idea

Edit: Here's the encore
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 22:28 by Csar Reason: added encore

Wow, thank you! And you, who took the effort to capture it!
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 22:48 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

I haven't seem the Chems live since 2022. Some observations on stuff that may or may not be new...

First video (in Csars reply#8)
Go: The pink lights cicrca 2:57 shooting the dancers over like they're in a video game. And around 4:24 the pink lights shining out from their hands. I was aware of the pink light interaction with the "mummies" in GTKO but have only now noticed the interaction in the Go visuals.
MAH: Extra synth Hum.
HBHG: Those pink lights again. Interacting with the dancers on screen from 19:36 onwards.
Something I have noticed before is the HBHG kick drum coming back in at 23:17 and dropping out again at 23:24. This still feels slightly odd to me.

Second Video
5:55 to about 7:54. The Wide Open intro. I've previously suggested dumping the intro, but I like this bit, at least until the "flutey" melody comes in around 7:54. I'm still not keen on that. But the bit before that (especially around 7:12) is great.

Third Video
Csar your little tracklist is incomplete. It also has STTS/CHEMICAL and Block Rockin Beats.
There's also a snippet of Free Yourself near the start. Very short; seems a shame.
Saturate is the newer 'hard' version. When the track stops at 3:58, it kinda surprises the crowd by then returning. The Believe vocals don't sit quite right in Saturate IMHO, but they're very brief.
Then...No harsh segue but a clean break between Saturate and Goodbye. It's the BBSG/Jesse Jackson version thankfully. Around 11:30 I'm hearing extra percussion. The percussion is really noticable circa 11:54 during the breakdown. I guess they wanted to keep people dancing when the main beat drops out. At 12:42 Jesse's vocal reappears: "I know a star", unlike the DJ version, where he's gone once the singing starts.
*EDIT* I forgot to mention that we hear a woman actually say "Goodbye" a couple of times at the start. I don't think that's an audience member (is it?).

The percussion from Goodbye seems to reappear in Chemical Beats.
16:10 Loving the marching band drums that build up in the intro of Chemical Beats, kinda like the David Holmes mix of Smokebelch II.
The aforemetioned STTS is too short. I always love the visceral hit of that track on big speakers - we need more! CHEMICAL as usual is very short. It might be nice to actually get several minutes of that track sometime.

Fourth Video
TDTYF: Ah the colours! The visuals extracted from the music vid work well in conjunction with those fanned out colour lasers. And yeah this live version is great. I was only luke warm on the original release of the track, but this heats things up!

Quote from: Csar on Feb 01, 2024, 22:15
This is the new and incredibly awesome new live version of TDTYF that I've been praising since their Birmingham and London O2 gigs last year. It's so so sooo f-ing good...

The synth bass sounds like it takes inspiration from HAAi's remix of the track, but you didn't like that remix did you, Csar?

Haven't had a chance to watch the 1hr41 video that Nekoland has posted. However, a quick jump into Live Again, and I notice that Roy Budd's Get Carter is no longer in the live intro to the track. That sample is exclusive to the extended mix now, I guess.

A live album? Live versions of Goodbye and TDTYF in good quality (along with Wide Open and the current Setting Sun) would be reason enough for me. But I agree with others here who suggest that it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Thanks for the videos everyone.
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 17:42 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Third night
— Aurora (The Seed)

Well that was some experience

Look how Ed is dancing during the Reel at 01:57:00 and how he jumped off at 02:04:09
no idea, no idea

What a show! We went to both Friday and Saturday night sets. I enjoyed the show much more than Coachella and the Seattle show. I feel like the pacing is perfect. I really dig the aggressive drop of Star Guitar and the teasing of Saturate. Great crowd to be in. The amount of homemade tees and signs was awesome to see.

i keep watching this encore. always love the reel, obviously but..kinda blown away by no geo → darkness..got some chills here

and i want to see a show of all chills..emotions like from snow/surface, one after another..
Eight or over.

If any of you follow me on instagram you'll have seen my Chems show spam from Tokyo. The shows were all amazing, the crowds in Japan are something special, spoke to Tom after the Saturday night show and he said they love the crowds in Japan because they are so attentive and involved in the music, they pick up on the little nuances that most crowds don't, and they really appreciate every band that makes the long journey to play for them. I'd have to say they were the 3 best shows I've seen recently because of the crowd. 
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

Any chance of purchasing the litograph outside of Japan?

The No Reason visuals are wonderful, and that poster is amazing.

I remember that there were some shows where posters were sold afterwards online (Ally Pally iirc). But I guess it depends on whether there's leftovers that weren't sold at the shows or something like that. Usually, the posters are only available at the show.