You Should Feel What I Feel

Mash ups (better than the original!?)

Started by Enjoyed, Sep 08, 2024, 01:20

Previous topic - Next topic
This track has shuffled into my ears during a couple of runs the past week, and it got me thinking about how seemingly perfect some amalgamations of tunes can be:

https://soundcloud.com/soul-of-man-trax/soul-of-man-killafly

It's not super complicated, no crazy editing or over the top extra remixing - but it results in what is, for me at least, a far superior version of both originals.

I feel like we maybe had a similar discussion a while back about remixes that are better than the original (which I think is an easier fine, generally) but I'm curious is anyone else has any suggestions for mash ups that, when you hear the originals, only make you yearn more for the bootleg version!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Me likes the mashup of Duffy's "Warwick Avenue" and Muse's "Madness"

no idea, no idea

I could just post the entire "As Heard On Radio Soulwax Pt2", I guess. Some particularly good mashups in that mix:

1) The Stooges: No Fun / Salt N Pepa: Push It
2) Destiny's Child: Independent Women / 10cc: Dreadlock Holiday
3) New Order: The Beach / Detroit Grand Pubah's: Sandwiches

Elsewhere, another obvious one I guess, but someone should mention it:
When I first heard this track in 1991 I had no idea it was a bootleg. I just thought it was the original - and it was great. Several years later when I heard Jamie Principle/Frankie Knuckles' "Your Love", I was very confused. "Is this a dub version?", I wondered. "Why have they ditched Candi's vocals?"... ::)

The Source Ft.Candi Staton - You Got The Love

I've heard it said that "As Heard On Radio Soulwax" was inspired by the mashup below. I missed out on a copy of this bootleg 7" at the time. But a year ot two later, I emailed Freelance Hellraiser asking where/if I could get hold of it. He emailed me back(!) with an MP3 file attached (alas I no longer have that MP3...).

Freelance Hellraiser was subsequently commissioned to officially re-work an album's worth of Paul McCartney songs, released under the name Twin Freaks. Check out the re-sale prices!

The Freelance Hellraiser - A Stroke Of Genius (2001)
(Christina Aguilera v The Strokes)

That mashup inpired a cash-in "cover version" which got a proper music video and actually made it into the UK pop charts in 2003
Spoiler
Speedway - Genie In A Bottle

The Sugababes (latest comeback) were weirdly popular at this year's Glastonbury. Personally I've only ever liked a couple of their tracks. And this is one of them. Not quite a straightforward mashup, but a vocal cover of Freak Like Me originally by Adina Howard (1995) overlaid on to directly sampled synths from Gary Numan/Tubeway Army's "Are 'Friends' Electric?" - a 1970s song about sex toys! Richard X was the man behind it, and they managed to get sample clearance from Gary Numan, so this got an official release.

Sugababes/Gary Numan - Freak Like Me

Incidentally, whilst googling the above video I stumbled on a 20 min doc  - ostensibly about that Sugababes track but also addressing thw whole mash-up trend, going back to the KLF's 1988 No 1 hit under their "Timelords" guise, and also mentioning Freelance Hellraiser and Destiny's Child, amongst others.
Spoiler
EDIT: I've watched the full video now. The first 12 minutes are good, the rest...onlyif you like manufactrued uk pop groups. Though Gary Numan pops up at 19:50 to say he prefers the Sugababes vocals to his own original vox on top of "Are 'Friends' Electric".

Taking it back to more credible stuff, a couple of 12" bootleg mashups released on DDB records, previously discussed on the forum Here re Dylan Rhymes, and Egyptian Empire's Horny, there were a couple of tracks featuring the Chems released by Rhymes on that DDB label.

Police On Chemicals, which as the Discogs description says, is a "Breaks mashup sampling The Police's "Voices Inside My Head" & The Chemical Brothers' "Loops Of Fury."
It's basically just Sting's vocals overlaid on to Loops Of Fury. If you listen to the Police track it's quite a laid back groove, so it's a surprise that the vocal works so well on top of one of the Chems most hectic tracks. I have this on 12" but can't find it on YT etc, I'm afraid.

And finally (for now)
Rock Dust As per Discogs: A Breaks mashup of The Chemical Brothers' "In Dust We Trust" versus Peaches' "Rock Show". Chems purists probably won't like this (I may have posted it before) but if you're prepared to take it on it's own terms and blast it loud from 'proper' speakers, it's a lot of fun.

The Chemical Brothers vs. Peaches - Rock Dust (2004)

I could probably go through my 12"s and find a bunch of other mashups I've forgotten about. Maybe I'll revisit this thread again at some point.
Last Edit: Sep 08, 2024, 13:51 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!