Feels Like I'm Dreaming

Samples & Trainspotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Apr 01, 2017, 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh it's Rock Da haus Anna? Sort of. (0:31)

WhoSampled reckons that the above drectly samples this Pete Rock track circa 4:34, but I'm struggling to hear any "Anna" here...

Incidentally the Chems remix of Voodoo People also samples the track below at 2:12. I guess Boogie Down Productions have been a long time Chemical favourite, as their JIMMY would hugely influence CHEMICAL (writing credit given) many years later.

Spoiler
And a final PS; this one may be a bit tenuous, so I've put it under spoiler tags like a coward! The "computer" sound effect in the clip below (1:22) was sampled in large sections of JIMMY. To my ears, it sounds like an influence on the "chaos" sounds you get at the end of Chems gigs.

around 4:35 to 4:45

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Anyone who has seen the Chems live set recently will recognize this one.

Holy shit! My wife loves that movie. I did NOT pick up on that.

In fairness though, hearing the COME WITH US man is very distracting for my brain. It's all I hear.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Bummer. Had hoped it was them doing the intro.. :(
Last Edit: Oct 15, 2022, 14:27 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

YouTube has suggested I might like to listen to Egyptian Empire's Horn Track (1992) recently, and...I agree! Though I think this track was subsequently improved upon.

The middle eastern/Egyptian sounding horns are a sample of an old 80s track by an act called C Cat Trance (sample right at the start).

Rattling Ghosts

And if those horns sound familiar to you, it might just be because the Prodigy then sampled them on Climbatize (at about 2:38, and then really clearly from 4:22 onwards).

But I think if you just want Horns + breakbeats in their purest form, Horny - a breaks bootleg 12" is probably the one for you. One of a whole bunch of fantastic breaks bootlegs released in 2003/4 on DDB Records - which was basicaly a white label breaks project from Dylan Rhymes. The same Dylan Rhymes whose 90s Chemical sounding track, Naked & Ashamed I posted in Now Playing recently.

DDB Records - Horny
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I love the comments underneath, asking how Klaus 'Heavyweight' Hill (big breaks guy that some man know from his tunes on Mob Records) knows for sure that it's Dylan Rhymes.

It's literally a bootleg featuring his drums from this banger:

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 23, 2022, 20:06

YouTube has suggested I might like to listen to Egyptian Empire's Horn Track (1992) recently, and...I agree! Though I think this track was subsequently improved upon.

The middle eastern/Egyptian sounding horns are a sample of an old 80s track by an act called C Cat Trance (sample right at the start).

Rattling Ghosts

And if those horns sound familiar to you, it might just be because the Prodigy then sampled them on Climbatize (at about 2:38, and then really clearly from 4:22 onwards).

Awesome post, just for sharing the Egyptian Empire - The Horn Track. That is crazy good! Thank you!

I also have a connection! I don't think it's sampled amongst the ones you have listed, just very similar :

(Jump to 00:31)

absolute legend of a game.

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 24, 2022, 07:08

Awesome post, just for sharing the Egyptian Empire - The Horn Track. That is crazy good! Thank you!

I also have a connection! I don't think it's sampled amongst the ones you have listed, just very similar :

(Jump to 00:31)

absolute legend of a game.

YES! I thought of this too when I listened to Horn Track.
I think the Spirit Temple music (maybe also Climbatize, subliminally) is what created what I can only describe as a weird pocket of nostalgia in my brain for sandy, Egyptian sounding horns like that. Love it.

To connect this all to another tune (back in the world of Breakbeat again), this has always been a favourite track of mine from a compilation of straight bangers (Perfect Breaks):

(5:00)

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 24, 2022, 20:36

To connect this all to another tune (back in the world of Breakbeat again), this has always been a favourite track of mine from a compilation of straight bangers (Perfect Breaks):
[Danny Sullivan & Kemist – Snake Charmer]

Well as this is the samples thread... Tablas aside, you know where they sampled that eastern/asian sound from?
Led Zeppelin

It's not currently on WhoSampled (though weirdly, these things often seem to appear on whosampled after I mention them on the forum), and I don't think the producers got permission or gave credit. But tell me I'm wrong!
Incidentally an Irish/Cork act called Fish Go Deep, best known for the pop house hit, The cure and the cause were originally called FishGoTech (the name of a Fish n Chip joint), and one of their early releases (1994-ish) was just the full intro to Led Zep's In The Light over some beats. The track isn't listed on Discogs or anywhere else - but I guess they weren't famous yet...

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 24, 2022, 05:46

I love the comments underneath, asking how Klaus 'Heavyweight' Hill (big breaks guy that some man know from his tunes on Mob Records) knows for sure that it's Dylan Rhymes.

It's literally a bootleg featuring his drums from this banger:
[Meat Katie Meets Christian J – Turn Me Out]

I remember that track. Kathy Brown got a lot of mileage through the remixes with that song. I nearly bought that 12" (2004) but decided not to as I'd already bought the bootleg 12" below a few months earlier. Yes, it's Gat Decor's Passion mashed up with Turn Me Out - and no I won't get any cool points for this, but it's better than it has any right to be.

Kathy's Passion

Last Edit: Oct 24, 2022, 23:14 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Hello!
I'm new here.
I think I might have one for you.

I was listening to the Mortal Coil version of Song To The Siren, from which the Chems track of the same name borrows a sample.

But I think the first few seconds are also sampled in The Private Psychedelic Reel.

This is a very quick sketch - in the track it's played polyphonically at points, and the tremolo may be a loop point rather than a simple amp LFO.

See what you think:

Quote from: EdGrip on Nov 06, 2022, 17:25

I was listening to the Mortal Coil version of Song To The Siren, from which the Chems track of the same name borrows a sample.

Which sample do they borrow?

But to build up on this: Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren, which here is covered by This Mortal Coil, was also covered in 2017 by Wolf Alice* for a Spotify Session. Wolf Alice lead singer Ellie Rowsell is supposed to be featured on the next Chems album. Fun fact: The video on youtube features scenes from the movie Atonement. Atonement was directed by Joe Wright who also directed Hanna for which the Brothers contributed the soundtrack.

* i'm going to see Wolf Alice on wednesday, very happy
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Nov 06, 2022, 17:56

I suspect Pumisher knows the answer, but Hello Ed and welcome. Just to confuse things, the vocals on the Chems' Song To The Siren were sampled from another artist on the same label as This Mortal Coil -  4AD records (the Chems sampled 4AD stuff a lot back then). The vox are from Dead Can Dance's "Song Of Sophia". The Chems were being playful (and confusing!), and I think they just named the track after the sirens at the beginning of their track.
A similar example: The Chems track One Too Many Mornings is named after a Bob Dylan song (cos they like him) but it's not a cover of that song, nor does it sample it!

But to build up on this: Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren, which here is covered by This Mortal Coil, was also covered in 2017 by Wolf Alice* for a Spotify Session. Wolf Alice lead singer Ellie Rowsell is supposed to be featured on the next Chems album. Fun fact: The video on youtube features scenes from the movie Atonement. Atonement was directed by Joe Wright who also directed Hanna for which the Brothers contributed the soundtrack.
Woah, you're twisting my melon man!
I will add that Joe Wright also directed the play, Life of Gallileo at The Young Vic, which Tom Rowlands did the music for, and which remains unreleased and only heard by those of us who went to the play.

Quote from: EdGrip on Nov 06, 2022, 17:25

This is a very quick sketch - in the track it's played polyphonically at points, and the tremolo may be a loop point rather than a simple amp LFO.

See what you think:

I think I like it! You might be on to something there.

Now do the sitar from Norwegian Wood (which is believed -by some- to be chopped up and rearranged in The Private Psychedelic Reel).

Speaking of the original Song To The Siren by Tim Buckley/This Mortal Coil, there's actually a "dance" version of that song out RIGHT NOW!
I would love to hear a Chemcial version of this actual song. I listen to this and think: it could have been really good...

HOSH - Song To The Siren

PS Pumisher, enjoy Wolf Alice. Please hang around afterwards and ask Ellie:
a) is that her voice sampled on Dreaming, and is it correct that she has a writing credit on that track?
b) was she involved with the new "warped pop/rock/indie" track the Chems have been playing in DJ sets?
c) If they didn't play Silk (from the T2 Trainspotting soundtrack) at your gig, why not? It's ace!

PPS: Mmm Keira K. in that WA video. A friend of mine lives a few doors along from her in London, he sees her at the local supermarket and at the local swings/playground with her kids. He has kids too, he's not stalking her!

More melon twisting:
Fun fact: Keira is married to James Righton, formerly of Klaxons. Tom Rowlands produced Klaxons final album at RAR studios, and remixed their single, Love Frequency. Both Keira and James were at the opening night of Life of Galileo.
Last Edit: Nov 06, 2022, 18:50 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Ha! I think I read it somewhere, Wikipedia maybe, which was how I came to be listening to that version of the track in the first place.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 06, 2022, 18:39
Now do the sitar from Norwegian Wood (which is believed -by some- to be chopped up and rearranged in The Private Psychedelic Reel).

I'm just having a listen to Norwegian Wood and will investigate further. I did put Pee-Wee's Dance into the Digitakt a while ago, I'll have to make a similar little video for that.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 06, 2022, 18:39

PS Pumisher, enjoy Wolf Alice. Please hang around afterwards and ask Ellie:
a) is that her voice sampled on Dreaming, and is it correct that she has a writing credit on that track?
b) was she involved with the new "warped pop/rock/indie" track the Chems have been playing in DJ sets?
c) If they didn't play Silk (from the T2 Trainspotting soundtrack) at your gig, why not? It's ace!

Wanted to ask her if she wanna hang out for drink but i can ask her your questions instead, no problem  ;D
no idea, no idea

no chance to ask her anything

yes, they've played Silk
no idea, no idea

Anyone seen The Banshees Of Inisherin? It's from the same team that brought you In Bruges

At the beginning, there's a traditional choral song. As the film is set in Ireland you might expect it to be an Irish tune but no; it is in fact Bulgarian.

Polegnala E Todora (Theodora Is Dozing).

This is is the second time that Bulgarian choral music has caught my attention recently. The first time was listening to the new Leftfield album.
Litening to track 8, Heart and Soul, the female choral vocal sample at around 0.05 (and again at 1:21 to 1:36, and throughout).

I don't think this is on the WhoSampled website yet, but I recognise that sample from an old Jam & Spoon track (Odyssey to Anyoona). And Jam & Spoon sampled the vox from this:
Young Vena: Voix Bulgares (0:23)

In Fact Jam & Spoon weren't even the first to sample that Bulgarian tune, with Sonz of a Loop da Loop Era and Atomic Playboy beating them to it by about three years (1991).

So, did Leftfield take inspiration from the above 1990s dance/electronic acts when sampling Bulgarian choral song for 2022's This Is What We Do?
Well maybe, or maybe not. Because if we rewind back to 1992 when Song of Life was first released (pre-Leftism), we find that the etherial vocal hook in that track is also sampled from Bulgarian Choral music : Oi Maro - Bulgarian Voices.

Also another '92 track that ended up on '95's Leftism - Release The Pressure, used a Bulgarian source. On this occasion, the flute sound rather than vocals. The track Polegnala E Pschenitza. I'm not sure who Polegnala/Theodora is (a folk character?), but that's the same name/character mentioned in the Banshees of Inisherin track above.

Oh, I've also just spotted another recent-ish artist who I posted in Now Playing in 2021. Rampa's The Church, which samples Aychinko Pilia Chereno.

Who did it first?
Looking through the WhoSampled website, Sudetenland by Holger Czukay (from the band, Can) seems to be the first artist to sample this stuff, followed by Ministry (of "Jesus Built My Hotrod" fame) on Dream Song ('89).

This stuff is traditional/folk so I presune no composer would need to be paid for royalties. The same may be true for the performer, especially as these songs are performed by Bulgararian State TV singers.
There was no internet back then, and WhoSampled didn't start until 2008. So, was there word-of-mouth knowledge that went around amongst producers in the early 90s? Was there a newsletter for producers that said: "Bulgarian Choral samples are where it's at -and they're free"? Or did they all listen to Minsitry and say: "Aha! We're gonna follow your lead"?

Lots of other examples from the '90s:

Mohammed's mind - 2 Kilos
Sushumna by Opus III (1994). [Opus III are probably best known for their track "It's A Fine Day" which was sampled big time by Orbital on Halcyon. The Opus III track had actually been a chart hit, so I've always struggled to accept Halcyon as a track in it's own right. To me it simply sounds like an Orbital remix of the Opus III track]
Two Full Moons & A Trout by Union Jack (1994)
Bulgarian - Travel (1998) [oh that's why it was called Bulgarian! Fans of Sasha's sets around 1998/9 will know this one.]
Y Traxx - Mystery Land. This one actually sampled Jam & Spoon's Odyssey To Anyoona rather than the original Bulgarian source, it appears.

Word spread to the mainstream
Moving into the 21st Century , the artists "going Bulgarian" became more mainstream with the likes of:
King Leon by Drake (2009)
Breathing by Jason Derulo (2011)
Parasite Eve by Bring Me The Horizon (2020)

But fear not, there is still some "cred" left for this sampling source. As Bicep -the current darlngs of the festival and electronic scene - sampled the Bulgarians for not one, not two but three recent tracks.

Apricots (not the "peredood" bit, but the female vox underneath from 0:46)

Light (from 1:02 onwards)

Rever (from 1:01)
Last Edit: Jan 10, 2023, 00:17 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 09, 2023, 23:15
I'm not sure who Polegnala/Theodora is (a folk character?)
Polegnala (Полегнала) describes something (or someone) laying down. It also describes if something/one has fallen down. Todora (Тодора) is a female name. Pschenitza (пшеница) is wheat.

"Polegnala e Todora" is about a girl named Todora which is lying under a olive tree [Полегнала е Тодора, / мома Тодоро, Тодоро, / под дърво, под маслиново, / мома Тодоро, Тодоро.]

"Polegnala E Pschenitza" is about wheat that has fallen down [Полегнала е пшеница]

I hope i translated that correctly.
no idea, no idea

I'm a fan of UNKLE--listened to James Lavelle's stuff a lot over the years. I dig the cinematic quality of it all.

I started giving Queens of the Stone Age a further listen and I came across Little Sister.

That vocal that starts at 2:14 or so sounded familiar--it reminded me of Eye for and Eye by UNKLE.

The chord progression/key seemed like it matched, but the inclusion of the vocal on that track is pretty faint.

You can hear it a lot better in a different remix of Eye for an Eye he put out on one of his Global Underground mixes.

There's been quite a bit of Queens of the Stone Age and UNKLE crossover (James Lavelle includes a remix of one of their tracks on that Global Underground mix), and I'm curious if he used the raw recording of the vocals from Little Sister.

Quote from: MadPooter on Jan 29, 2023, 11:26
There's been quite a bit of Queens of the Stone Age and UNKLE crossover (James Lavelle includes a remix of one of their tracks on that Global Underground mix), and I'm curious if he used the raw recording of the vocals from Little Sister.
Timeline makes sense as the wikipedia page for Little Sister states the following:

"The song had been in the works for quite a while. An early version was recorded with Dave Grohl in 2002 for the album Songs for the Deaf, but was scrapped. The unfinished recording was later distributed on a bootleg recording compilation."

Considering Never Never Land was released September 2003 (which featured Josh Homme), the GU Romania mix was released March 2004, and Little Sister was released December 2004 (promotional). Plus with that No One Knows UNKLE edit probably being a collab with Josh, I think you are onto something.

Personally, the No One Knows edit with it's breakbeat cinematic and symphonic quality is still a favourite as it reminds me of SSX3. "Peak" of the SSX series imo (pun intended). Still hoping to run into John Morgan one day to thank him for sound designing Tricky and 3 as games that sounds like club sets.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

As well as listening to Brit Hop & Amyl House this weekend, I've also been listening to BGWIO.

I guess it has a number of tiny samples/clips overdubbed in the mix that aren't credited, from the likes of Afrika Bambaataa and Steinski. But this one below caught my ear as I've never seen anyone mention it.

On The Serotonin Project - Sidewinder (312 vs. 216 Stomp Mix) there are some vocoder overdubs that aren't on the original track. Here at 5:29 (and 6:13 and 6:43 and 6:57 and 7:13 and 7:27 and 7:42).

And I recognise that as being borrowed from New Order's Spooky (around 0:09)

New Order, in turn sampled the vocoder bit from MC ADE's Bass Mechanic at around 0:12
I think New Order just distorted the original sample so that it kinda sounds like "yaaaah". Either that, or they added a bit of their own.

And here's the original version of Sidewinder without the overdubs.

I feel better for getting that off my chest.
IT'S MORNING TIME!