Hey Girl

For That Beautiful Feeling (XDUST12)

Started by ThePumisher, Aug 27, 2021, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Was checking out my Apple Music pre-add of the record on iTunes and noticed that all of the as-yet-unplayabe songs have full "Composer" fields! Have a commitment that means I can't dig into every non-Chems person credited yet but here's a sample from "The Weight":
(I've also figured out that "The Weight" samples a song written by reggae musicians Barry Brown and Bunny Lee, if anyone wants to go rifling through their shared credits.)
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

^ Vocal sample from 5:47 onwards, probably. So I guess don't listen if that's a spoiler for you.
There are some high pitched siren-ish noises that might work in a Chems track too circa 5:30.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 26, 2023, 18:41
^ Vocal sample from 5:47 onwards, probably. So I guess don't listen if that's a spoiler for you. There are some high pitched siren-ish noises that might work in a Chems track too circa 5:30.
I could see them using the drums at the start as well. Either way, amazing find! Well done!

Surprised the Live Again artwork wasn't actually created for the single - it existed 8 years prior. I would think they would want something new to be made, but if it works, it works!
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: ; on Jul 26, 2023, 20:58
Surprised the Live Again artwork wasn't actually created for the single - it existed 8 years prior. I would think they would want something new to be made, but if it works, it works!

The artwork existed before 1999, that is when the artist passed away. My guess is most of the FTBF artwork is most likely somewhere inside that art book Wolkenkrabber mentioned, "Electric Soup".

So if anyone wants a homework assignment, checkout your local library and see if they have said book. If so, browse through book and report back

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 26, 2023, 17:32
As many as you have already pointed out, the 3LP barely differentiates from the the 2LP. If this was indicated back in March, nobody outside of completionist would pay the premium for the 3LP.

I don't imagine they sold that many March pre-order 3LP, so I won't make too big deal of it. But I'm sure there is a few miffed people that feel taken advantaged out there.

Ultimately, the pre, pre-order bullshit is a horrible business trend. I know they used it in tandem to fluff up their upcoming UK tour in the fall, but "not final artwork" is not final artwork.
Fair enough. I think with pre-orders you can cancel before the item ships, so if you were proper miffed you could do that at least.

I got the recent marketing email telling me to discover the For That Beautiful Feeling special editions - but when I click the pre-order button for the 3LP I get geo-targeted and transferred to what I guess is the Australian distributor's store.

Not only are the special editions not available, the $100 2LP (£52 at current exchange rates) adds a $16 delivery charge, so I'd pay $116 - or I could just order from the official Chems store for $87 delivered (£40 plus £6 delivery to Australia).

Madness. What's the point of a geo-location redirect in your marketing comms when your official store ships internationally - and is the cheaper option? Especially when your email is headed 'Discover the special editions' and then the link doesn't show me any special editions to purchase.

Also, look at the price difference on the Australian store between the CD and cassette - $20 CD versus $35 cassette! There's only a £1 difference on the official store, and the cassette is cheaper - £12 CD and £11 cassette. What the hell is going on?

The £73 3LP, CD and cassette bundle isn't bad value for the completionists, relatively speaking. I'm guessing the high prices this release for vinyl is indicative of the overall trend for vinyl releases at the moment. I notice the reissue of Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium is USD $90, when back in 2016 it was $40.

Quote from: Champiness on Jul 26, 2023, 18:15
Was checking out my Apple Music pre-add of the record on iTunes and noticed that all of the as-yet-unplayabe songs have full "Composer" fields!

I hope you don't mind me completing what you started, here is the other composers:

dont open if you do not want to spoil album details
[4] Goodbye Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Robert Argyrios Gantzos
[6] Magic Wand Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Jérôme Lenoir
[10] Feels Like I Am Dreaming Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Ellie Rowsell

The Darkness That You Fear, is still credited the same as SACEM. I know we already discussed but it still don't feel right that Caroline Ellis doesn't get a nod.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 27, 2023, 04:18
I hope you don't mind me completing what you started, here is the other composers
Thanks, and it's led me to another one! Pretty big one! Don't know if a spoiler tag is strictly necessary but it makes things look a little tidier so more below!

Spoiler
Process was:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscogs.com+%22Robert+Gantzos%22
https://www.discogs.com/release/10970458-Teresa-Harris-The-Gene-Parker-Quintet-UFO
[read a comment that praises a promisingly-titled B-side which no one has logged on Discogs]
https://www.google.com/search?q=teresa+harris+goodbye

and then:
https://tramprecords.bandcamp.com/track/good-bye

Gotta say: that's a far more elaborate flip than I had thought while listening to the end result.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: Champiness on Jul 27, 2023, 05:40
if a spoiler tag is strictly necessary but it makes things look a little tidier so more below!
Hey, you can always use the link button in the editor and give your links pretty and short names if you want!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Champiness on Jul 27, 2023, 05:40
Spoiler
Process was:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscogs.com+%22Robert+Gantzos%22
https://www.discogs.com/release/10970458-Teresa-Harris-The-Gene-Parker-Quintet-UFO
[read a comment that praises a promisingly-titled B-side which no one has logged on Discogs]
https://www.google.com/search?q=teresa+harris+goodbye

and then:
https://tramprecords.bandcamp.com/track/good-bye

Gotta say: that's a far more elaborate flip than I had thought while listening to the end result.

Ah so in fact, one search of Discogs for Bob Gantzos delivered one result, and one look at the B-side delivered a direct hit. It's certainly a very different version of Goodbye. I prefer the Chems version myself. I'm guessing the Chems have used a non-famous session vocalist, oherwise he would probably be named.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 27, 2023, 04:18
the other composers:

dont open if you do not want to spoil album details
[4] Goodbye Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Robert Argyrios Gantzos
[6] Magic Wand Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Jérôme Lenoir
[10] Feels Like I Am Dreaming Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons & Ellie Rowsell

So we were aware of the track 10 credits. We now have track 4 figured out. That leaves Track 6 here, Magic Wand.
Time for another "Bob" because Jérôme Lenoir has a stage name of Bobby Sanders. As you can see, he has six singles credited to his name on Discogs, and zero albums.

If nothing else, I think I've figured out the drum source for It Doesn't Matter. No really!!
Lyrically there's nothing obvious linking these singles to the title, "Magic Wand".
But look at the 1976 single by Bobby Sanders & Magic. And then listen to it (it's a quiet YT upload so turn it up).

Bobby Sanders & Magic - Strung out Parts 1&2

Hear the drum break at 1:48 to 1:52? And again at the start of part 2 at 3:54.
At the time of writing, WhoSampled doesn't list anything for the drums on It Doesn't Matter. Have I just figured it out?

Most of Bobby Sanders other tracks are kinda old fashioned doo-wop and soul tracks, so I'm thinking Tom may have returned to this track for more inspiration.

One other thing about this track: the female "ooh" backing vox towards the end of both parts (3:37 to 3.50, and 5:41 to 5:56, then 6:28 to the end) sound very familiar. They have me thinking of I Just Want To Dance by Sault (2:01 to 2:14). A track which featured in the Chems Odd Bodd Distress DJ mix. Yeah I may be getting tenuous here, but I can see how that backing vocal might be tempting to sample or recreate (by the Chems).

TL;DR? I ramble about reggae here but don't know what's been sampled:

(I've also figured out that "The Weight" samples a song written by reggae musicians Barry Brown and Bunny Lee, if anyone wants to go rifling through their shared credits.)

Well Barry Brown has got 22 albums listed on Discogs. And Bunny Lee is listed as an arranger & producer on a LOT of his stuff. So good luck to anyone trying to figure this one out!

I note that Brown's musicians included rhythm section Sly & Robbie (11 Grammy nominations to their name, worked with everyone from Grace Jones to The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney to Britney Spears, the Chems played their track "Boops" at Save The Social in 2019), and also Augustus Pablo (famous in his own right; known for making the Melodica a lead instrument in reggae). Barry Brown was the real deal! Too bad he died at 42 with substance abuse issues when he hit his head in the studio.

Anyway "Conscious Dread" and "Don't Let No One Bribe You" are fantastic tracks, so if nothng else, thanks to Tom/Chems for making me have a dig and for indirectly making me 'discover' these tunes. Check 'em out!
No idea what track has been sampled though...
EDIT: my random bet would be  "It Go A Dread" which was sampled/re-worked by King Tubby as "Flag Dub". This is great!
Last Edit: Jul 27, 2023, 10:26 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 26, 2023, 17:32
As many as you have already pointed out, the 3LP barely differentiates from the the 2LP. If this was indicated back in March, nobody outside of completionist would pay the premium for the 3LP.
So yesterdays email from Chemical HQ gave the biggest difference, 3LP 45rpm vs 2LP 33rpm. Wider grooves can give better sound quality if I'm correct. Are there any vinyl purists here who will hear the difference?

Pulled the trigger and purchased the Japanese version of the album. Will most likely pick up the domestic version at my local record shop when it comes out. Usually love to support the Chems website directly, but the apparel isn't grabbing me. I'd purchase if the hoody or shirt was fully in the design, versus "pasted" on a black canvas.

Was checking out my Apple Music pre-add of the record on iTunes and noticed that all of the as-yet-unplayabe songs have full "Composer" fields! Have a commitment that means I can't dig into every non-Chems person credited yet but here's a sample from "The Weight":

Spoiler
Spoiler
Now as I listen to it and overall vibe I dunno if it won't be combined with out beloved "Rock Witchu"

Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: mesamm99 on Jul 27, 2023, 14:56
Pulled the trigger and purchased the Japanese version of the album. Will most likely pick up the domestic version at my local record shop when it comes out. Usually love to support the Chems website directly, but the apparel isn't grabbing me. I'd purchase if the hoody or shirt was fully in the design, versus "pasted" on a black canvas.
Where did you end up ordering the Japanese CD from? I was waiting for it to show up on Amazon Japan. So far I only see the regular version on there. 

Quote from: neorev on Jul 28, 2023, 21:41
Where did you end up ordering the Japanese CD from? I was waiting for it to show up on Amazon Japan. So far I only see the regular version on there.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-10032

This site has never let me down. 

Quote from: mesamm99 on Jul 28, 2023, 22:49
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-10032

This site has never let me down.
There is a lot of info about the packing of the cd "4-panel digisleeve – gloss lamination 4-page booklet" but none of that on the Japan sites, just a genetic cardboard sleeve mini lp in the description. That would be a bit dissapointing. Do you have any hope/idea this Japan release will be the same as disscribed in the Chemical Brothers store?

Quote from: Joslyn on Jul 29, 2023, 12:04
There is a lot of info about the packing of the cd "4-panel digisleeve – gloss lamination 4-page booklet" but none of that on the Japan sites, just a genetic cardboard sleeve mini lp in the description. That would be a bit dissapointing. Do you have any hope/idea this Japan release will be the same as disscribed in the Chemical Brothers store?
Honestly buying this for the 2 tracks. Will still buy the US version of the album since I am expecting the Japanese version to be as described. 

Quote from: Joslyn on Jul 29, 2023, 12:04

You could just wait and see how it's designed. I know it's easy to get wrapped up in pre-orders because formats are limited and have chance to sell-out (aka, FOMO) but Japanese CD will be plentiful for the most part.

I admire the dedication of people here.

as someone who has has been working on aggressively reducing my piracy footprint in the past few years, I draw the line at expensive imports for the sake of a bonus track or two.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 29, 2023, 17:51
You could just wait and see how it's designed. I know it's easy to get wrapped up in pre-orders because formats are limited and have chance to sell-out (aka, FOMO) but Japanese CD will be plentiful for the most part.
Agree. These days we can legally listen to the album on release day (Spotify, YouTube etc) so I figure: wait til it's out in Japan, then compare prices (ebay v CD Japan v Tower Japan v HMV Japan).

I'm not sure why anyone wants to get suckered into paying huge money for bundles, especially vinyl bundles. I remember the '90s when record shops were practically giving away their vinyl albums because everyone had moved on to CD. I do have a record player (and records) but that's mostly for playing 12" singles. 
Records take up space, they're heavy, they have issues with pressing quality/static/wear & tear, and you can't even play them on portable devices...
IT'S MORNING TIME!