Started by ThePumisher, Aug 27, 2021, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic
It's just me or...

Spoiler
Last 7 seconds of No Reason
is Base 6?
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 07, 2023, 20:41
My god. "The Weight" has one of the sweetest basslines I've heard from the brothers! Takes me straight back to DYOH era, right enough.

Yup, it's like a modern DYOH track. Honestly probably my favorite track on the album so far.

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 07, 2023, 20:41
My god. "The Weight" has one of the sweetest basslines I've heard from the brothers! Takes me straight back to DYOH era, right enough.
Yup! 
And I get some TFOTL era Prodigy and Massive Attack vibes from the Magic Wand's instrumental
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

The Darkness That You Fear (Harvest Mix) is their own remix isn't it - it's not by an artist called Harvest?

Sorry for stupid question.  ???

Either way I like it!

initiate launch sequence...

Please log in to view this attachment.

Quote from: Ford on Sep 08, 2023, 01:19
The Darkness That You Fear (Harvest Mix) is their own remix isn't it - it's not by an artist called Harvest?

Sorry for stupid question.  ???

Either way I like it!
It would be weird to put a remix by somebody else on a studio album, so I'm pretty sure it's an alternative mix/remix made by T&E

Daaaaamn! Just had the first listen... and it's past my bedtime. Lots of feelings here!! So many beautiful textures and sounds that I know will unfold with each new listen. It's a journey. The Weight, oh my god! I Feel Like I'm Dreaming... It's going to take a minute (when I'm not so sleeeepyzzzzz) to get my head around this!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I think this album is one of their best works; It's almost as good as Surrender at least.
"Magic Wand" and "The Weight" are my favorites so far.

First impressions

The album is in 3 parts

1/3 is all club, all dance, great flow (similar to the opening flow of NG!). Definitely connects! Great start to a new album.

2/3 The Chems dip and double dip some influences from DYOH and EPD but pull out amazing throwback sounds that are fresh, groovy, and with some sample based kicks!

3/3. Back to psych! We've been there before and imo it's a mixed bag for me for this part of the album.

On to the 2nd listen, and third!

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: neorev on Sep 07, 2023, 20:23
Chems released the album early thru their Bandcamp

https://thechemicalbrothers.bandcamp.com/album/for-that-beautiful-feeling

Did they have removed this? Link gets me nowhere and searching on the app says theres no Chems on Bandcamp (except that Charlatans vs Chems EP)

Oh, and shipping isn't going on, it's just "Ready to Ship". So whatever company is doing the shiping hasn't even picket it up.
no idea, no idea

According to Apple Music all tracks in FTBF album are recorded in Dolby Atmos®

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 08, 2023, 07:16
Did they have removed this? Link gets me nowhere and searching on the app says theres no Chems on Bandcamp (except that Charlatans vs Chems EP)

Doesn't work for me either. Let's hope it's just some error, Bandcamp is my favourite place to buy digital music.

The second listen, from start to finish with headphones was better. Still it will remain one of my least favourites of their albums.

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 08, 2023, 08:45
Still it will remain one of my least favourites of their albums.

you gotta be shitting me.

I'm sorry, but this is up there with the pantheon of some of their greats. Without a doubt, better than, 'No Geography'.

I'll admit, I was cold towards "No Reason", and "Live Again", but this album really comes together!

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 08, 2023, 08:45
The second listen, from start to finish with headphones was better. Still it will remain one of my least favourites of their albums.

I am definitely on Ben_J's sides here.

I am having a hard time considering this album as a whole soundwise. It feels to me more like a 'collection' of different projects they've been working on for the past fews years put into a new LP.

Some great tracks though : Live Again, No reason, Dreaming, For that beautiful feeling.

Enjoy the new music :)

I've only listened to this album a couple times but imo the first 2/3 of so is about as great as anything they've ever produced. Everything up to and including "The Weight" is absolutely incredible. The back third of the album I'm a bit colder on, although "Feels Like I'm Dreaming" sure helps that end out.

I like how everyone has completely opposite opinions about the album, it proves there is no one truth and some stuff for everyone in there !

So any chance listening to "I want to know"?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 08, 2023, 07:16

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 08, 2023, 08:32
Doesn't work for me either. Let's hope it's just some error, Bandcamp is my favourite place to buy digital music.

Woah! I was surprised the Chems were on Bandcamp when it was mentioned before. Go back to the source page on Bandcamp and you get this thechemicalbrothers based in... Houston, Texas (!).

I'm gonna suggest that someone did something very naughty here. They pretended to be the Chems and whacked the Chems music up on Bandcamp for some quick $$$ !
This would explain why, once the extended mix of Skipping Like A Stone got withdrawn from Beatport & BeatSource, it remained up on that Bandcamp page. Until now.

It would also explain the "early release" yesterday. That wasn't a Chemical decision, was it? They put the leak up.  More quick $$$. Naughty Texan impersonators! 

PS this means that the Extended mix of Skipping is currently only legally available on the USB stick, right?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Sep 08, 2023, 06:34
First impressions

The album is in 3 parts

1/3 is all club, all dance, great flow (similar to the opening flow of NG!). Definitely connects! Great start to a new album.

2/3 The Chems dip and double dip some influences from DYOH and EPD but pull out amazing throwback sounds that are fresh, groovy, and with some sample based kicks!

3/3. Back to psych! We've been there before and imo it's a mixed bag for me for this part of the album.

On to the 2nd listen, and third!

Yeah. I think it flows well as an album, with its 'three-act structure'. Much better than the last two albums imo.

The first act (Intro through to Goodbye) kind of showcases their current sound. Goodbye bridges that sound into the second act (Fountains through to The Weight) which nicely harks back to their big beat roots. Then the final act (Skipping through to FTBF) is kind of an amalgamation of their more epic, hug-a-stranger tunes, with the added bosh of the first half of Surrender (the album), carried by Feels Like I Am Dreaming.

Speaking of which, the standout track for me, by quite some distance, is Feels Like I Am Dreaming. Pure Chemical magic. It wouldn't feel out of place on Come With Us or maybe even Surrender.  :music