Listen to Your Heart

For That Beautiful Feeling (XDUST12)

Started by ThePumisher, Aug 27, 2021, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic
I much prefer the first version of Dust Up Beats ^ that reversed part that starts around the 3min mark is pure bliss.

Hopefully we may get this and Dope Coil etc. for a "Exit Planet Dust" 30th Anniversary edition  :music if it's possible to remaster and clear the samples. 

Quote from: neorev on Sep 09, 2023, 10:01
I prefer the second one
That is the version from the demo cassette (and only from there). The regular release of that version cuts out the first 47 seconds.

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 09, 2023, 14:02
I much prefer the first version of Dust Up Beats  (...)

Hopefully we may get this

I like both, why not release both? But the second one should be, as i said, the version from the demo cassette.

Edit:
And to be a little WhiteNoise => the "first one" is in fact the second version, the version some called Wipeout-version was released earlyer (and that explains why it, in a longer version, was on the demo cassette)
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 09, 2023, 14:04
That is the version from the demo cassette (and only from there). The regular release of that version cuts out the first 47 seconds.

I think you're close, but no cigar.
Yes, the full length was on the demo cassette, that's true (and Yes WhiteNoise did get the full length rip for us from that cassette). But I believe it was also on the tiny number of vinyl pressings of that version, too. The first 47 seconds were cut for the WipeOut game in particular. WipeOut was the easiest place to get a rip of that version (digital!) and therefore you think of it as the 'regular' version, but I believe the original vinyl and the cassette were both full length.

I like both, why not release both? But the second one should be, as i said, the version from the demo cassette.
And/or original vinyl. Very few copies of that vinyl exist though, due to a fire at the warehouse.

EDIT: Joslyn has the rare "Wipeout" version on vinyl and confirms it's the same as the cassette. HERE.

Edit:
..the version some called Wipeout-version was released earlyer
True. The second video (WipeOut) in Neorev's post was the first version released.

Quote from: neorev on Sep 09, 2023, 10:01
Samples will be difficult to clear I'm afraid. There's different vinyl pressings that have different versions of Dust Up Beats.

Ha funny, weren't you the one who used to tweet @ the Chems and bang your drum here on the forum for these early releases, whilst others here were telling you: "it's unlikely". Now you've come around to the other side of the table.
Last Edit: Sep 09, 2023, 15:18 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I have a copy of the version with the longer intro on vinyl! I should rip it some day 
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

Quote from: instantreigen on Sep 09, 2023, 15:16
I have a copy of the version with the longer intro on vinyl! I should rip it some day

I looked into my calendar and it says that september 10th is 'some day'
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 09, 2023, 19:05
I looked into my calendar and it says that september 10th is 'some day'
If you insist  :P I did rip the WipEout version too and that one is on my YouTube channel already. I'll do my best to get it done tomorrow! 

I love how we've switched to the Dust Up Beats appreciation club  8)
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

The production on this album as a whole is... simply extraordinary.

Even if I don't love all of the tracks, and even if I really don't like the intro, it's a voyage.

From start to finish I feel like I'm off my head in a wonderful psychedelic meandering, rough-cut moments blended together with a divine trowel, and I can't help but feel wholly satisfied after a full listen-through.

The Weight. The middle centerpiece. It took me back. It made me think of the first time I listened to the Duke in college, and I wanted to get up and dance.

What's a Big Beat track again? Fuck yeah that's what that is.

How does it sound when a synth makes a soulful cry in the dead of night? Goodbye.

And I can only describe moments littered throughout, The Fountain and Feels Like I'm Dreaming for instance, as similar to being in a chemically-disheveled headspace, the tunnel taking twists and turns, finally coming back to a moment where you can raise your head up above the fog of subconscious raving to come back to this plane, allowing you to take a deep breath and compose yourself.

And the only thing you're able to say in those moments...

What fuckin' ride.

I'm late to the party and want to write down some thoughts before I read any of yours. In short, I really enjoy the album and am highly impressed with the flow. I enjoy every single track and think the presentation has a fresh sound.

Typically I save a new album for an enhanced listen on my good headphones. For this one, I couldn't wait and listened to it though my car's speakers on the commute yesterday (and it had to compete with my A/C fan on high). So, I got the vibe but didn't get to experience real presentation until today. I've enjoyed it from the first listen, but I admit, it hit a little harder today with my full focus. Well, actually 3 focused listens in a row, and a 4th as I type. LOL

My early favorites are Goodbye, Fountains, Feels Like I Am Dreaming, and of course, Live Again. I don't think that one will get stale for me. There is not a bad track on here and again, the flow of the album is great. I've expressed my thoughts on the Harvest Mix of 'Darkness...' on its own thread, but will reiterate, that specific version is perfect on this album. And I really liked Skipping Like A Stone as a single, but somehow I now get more excited hearing with the rest. I also love how the first and last track not only provide bookends, but how they work so well if the album is set to repeat.

These are all initial thoughts and I'm sure I will feel more nuanced opinions with continued listens. However, I have a funny story about Fountains, which is my favorite of the tracks I had not heard before. This morning I was driving my son somewhere and that track came on when I started the car. He said, "Well THIS is new!" and asked if it was the Chemical Brothers. He is not a fan that would listen on his own, and he didn't know they had a new album, but he is very familiar and has his favorites. And like me, it really got his attention. 

Here's one final thought that I also wrote elsewhere. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us a 9 minute dub combining the outro beats for No Reason and the intro to Goodbye into an EBW!!!

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I was very excited for this album, but I think a little subconsciously apprehensive/weary about having any high expectations.

I'm honestly blown away. The initial listen through did present me with some 'hmmm, really?' moments - just a few things that didn't hit like I thought they would (or like I felt they should), but I think I'm just old and struggle with change. I think it also comes with the territory of holding the Chems to such a high standard and treating the experience so very differently. With the lack of a physical copy, I almost held back from listening until Monday - but I got over that weird part of my brain too. So the isolated, eyes closed listen through was an almost stressful experience - one that all melted away when Dreaming came on. To echo some of the emotional reactions of Whirly and Metta, I felt so much of my decades long infatuation with Tom & Ed's music bubbling to the surface, resulting in some soggy eyeballs and a smile that I couldn't get rid of.

I've listened through a good handful of times now and everything just keeps getting better. The biggest thing for me with this album, is how fucking fun it is. Start to finish, it's just a good bloody time.

Intro is still growing on me. I love segues though, so just treating it as an overture for Live Again is great.

Speaking of which, this is my favourite single from the album for sure (assuming Dreaming doesn't get a proper release). I really enjoyed it in isolation, but it's a fantastic foundation for the rest of the album and I hear more and more little chemical noises and call backs to previous albums and sounds with every listen.

No Reason feels a TAD long in the context of the album, given that, as others have said, some of the other tracks feel like they could go on a little longer. Still, it's a banger and, like Spider-Man pulling two halves of a collapsing ferry together, it's a great way to move into:

Goodbye. I was NOT blown away on first listen. But. It's maybe round 6 now and like everything, it's been getting bigger and better with each listen. Sasha should use this in his next Involver mix. The texture of that main synth melody is just so disgustingly tasty. Glutinous.

I LOVE Fountains! The Neptunes comparison was dead on for me! Was going to make the same comment. Tom's singing, since he started, kind of feels like a must on an album now. Let Us Build A City Fountains.

The sample in Magic Wand is something I'm still adjusting to. Something about it makes me question whether they've ever been good with vocal samples - which is obviously a batshit crazy thing to think. It's just the melodic smooshing of everything that I'm still adjusting to. Still - Big Beat is right, and with everything on this album, there's so much to unpack and connect to old albums/tracks.

The Weight. Funk Bass Chemicals: Best Chemicals. I'll happily take the blame for continuing to talk about how Come With Us is their best album.

I'd like to formally take back my criticisms about the lyrics of Skipping Like A Stone. They're fine, and they're positive and quite lovely. But I think this might still be my least favourite part of the album. For now at least.
I do still love that ending. Halo Maud is essentially to this song working, for me.

TDTYF. Mentioned this on the track topic, but I really wish they didn't give it a mix name. It's a great version though, if a little short. But, like the intro, it's simply an appetizer for...

THE • BEST • SLAB • OF • CHEMICAL • MAGIC • IN • THE • LAST • 10 • YEARS.
I loved it live, was nervous how it would translate into studio form, but it's SO. FUCKING. GOOD.
Who knew there was an untapped sweet spot between Escape Velocity and Out of Control.

The outro (as it maybe should have been called?) is lovely. Halo's vocals lend themselves really well to this whole adventure and the melodies in this one are great. My only nitpick, is that Dreaming ends with a looped vocal, just like Hi Kevin I Cave In, and I don't think it needs to do it again with the end of the album - though I do like Biff's donut take on this!

Super interested to see everyone's rankings in a couple of weeks time.

Well done Tom & Ed, and thank you.
#10 is a big success in my books.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 09, 2023, 22:38
Goodbye. I was NOT blown away on first listen.

Looking forward for this one to grow on me. Something isn't connecting and I feel bad admitting this because I know the legend of this track started right here on the forum.

When it comes to intro, just play it right after the last track, it creates some kind of loophole. 

Also, for those with the vinyl versions: Is there any funny running grove message/text like on the previous records? Is there any funny gimmick like the Surrender's locked groove repeating that "uhm, uhm, uhm" at the end of Dream On?
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

I must say, almost every track on the album feels like it could be utilized in their live show.

Magic Wand, The Weight, and The Darkness That You Fear (Harvest Mix), probably album only tracks.

Fountains could be deconstructed into some type of chopped up instrumental track. We already know the extended mix of Skipping Like a Stone has legs, and the intro/title track could be the new show prelude similar to the use of No Path to Follow, via the 'We Are the Night" tour.
Last Edit: Sep 10, 2023, 04:41 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 10, 2023, 04:24
I must say, almost every track on the album feels like it could be utilized in their live show.

Magic Wand, The Weight, and The Darkness That You Fear (Harvest Mix), probably album only tracks.

Fountains could be deconstructed into some type of chopped up instrumental track. We already know the extended mix of Skipping Like a Stone has legs, and the intro/title track could be the new show prelude similar to the use of No Path to Follow, via the 'We Are the Night" tour.
I would absolutely love to see another WATN Tour style reset of the show with the release of the new album, especially making room for more of the new songs beyond the 4 we already have in the set

Or even reconstructions that allow for bits and pieces of the new songs to appear, it really feels like a revitalization at this point
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

this album is so ripe for 20-minute secret psychedelic mixes of nice, long, slow synth build-ups and transformations
Eight or over.

Quote from: GLAKO-FAHN on Sep 10, 2023, 12:56
this album is so ripe for 20-minute secret psychedelic mixes of nice, long, slow synth build-ups and transformations
45 min version of "Dreaming" or gtfo

Quote from: instantreigen on Sep 09, 2023, 19:28
If you insist  :P I did rip the WipEout version too and that one is on my YouTube channel already. I'll do my best to get it done tomorrow!
orrrrr the day after, met up with an old friend today  ::krazy

So this is my first post here on this forum.
Born in 1976 I was in my Twenties when Big Beat became a thing.
I bought Exit Planet Dust the summer after The Prodigy released Music for the jilted generation in 1994. 

What I try to say: Some things stay forever some fade away.

I parted with The Prodigy after Fat Of The Land actually...

The Chemical Brothers always were there.. in my life... sometimes right in front of me... literally... sometimes like a good old friend who you share some news with.

Every record since EPD had great moments.

Further was the last record which sent me on a musical journey.

This new album does it again.

For that beautiful Feeling has this psychedelic soulful eclectic touch  . All the reasons I got in love with this Band.

With 47 I feel blessed to still be able to enjoy this ride.

This album is life, and I'm still hanging on to every listen. It is a heavy album - it is a process and I did not expect to have this hit in literally all the feels. It's overwhelming. Like how life is sometimes. It all is still coming into its own for me and I'm still trying to make sense with each listen, hoping I don't wear it out the novelty or lose, literally - that beautiful feeling - when I listen to it.  

There is absolutely no doubt in the exquisite production, and the driving force of life experience that's behind the wheel of For That Beautiful Feeling. It stirs an overwhelming cauldron of feelings that has me tumbling through storm clouds and fiery sunsets in my mind's eye. Each listen brings new delights - every song heaving and sighing and scurrying with life.  From the abruptly jarring and confusing static of Intro giving way to the heart beat of Live Again... to the bittersweet For That Beautiful Feeling - which feels like a swirling, swelling culmination of everything you've just heard heard and felt in-between, throughout the journey. The voice at the end, that beautiful feeling, surrendering to the void. That feeling doesn't have to end. Just loop it, and you get to Live (it) Again. 

It's fucking amazing. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.