Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Discussions on difficult subjects

• Galvanizer
satur8 - with all due respect, you weren't reading my opinions, you were reading my observations. And I hope you do not dismiss my observations.

I'm literally recounting and reciting discussions and talking points from news media, individual conversations, and posts I've seen on social media. No one proposes any solutions, and no one discusses the issue of race in terms that stray from the narrative that white people are racists, Republicans are racists, and white people and Republicans are the source of racism and oppression in the United States.

So while you may have different observations, I don't know why you're suggesting that my observations are somehow "wrong". I'm not giving you my opinion about racist discussions, I'm simply a fly on the wall.

If you would like to expand on your observations of white people shying away from conversations about racism, by all means.

Here's my opinion, though: The conversations about race are becoming more and more racist, and people are confusing racist discussions with progress.

• Giant
  • trying
Here's my opinion, though: The conversations about race are becoming more and more racist, and people are confusing racist discussions with progress.

I agree with this opinion, but I don't.

I agree that people are confusing racist discussions with the mind of making a social utopia rather than racial injustice. We will not ever, even in our lifetime, lose bias over identity. That won't happen until all humans are one race, one gender, have the same name, equal size, living the same exact lives, day in and day out. If there's one thing I can agree with conservatives, this would be it.

Why I don't agree with your opinion... The constant barrage of discussions about racism is necessary for fixing racial injustice. So is fighting racism with racism (more like shaming) aimed at white people appropriate? I'm not sure there is another way. I know it's not comfortable, it might not always be focused, but its relentlessness will be the only way we're going to come close to fixing it. I consider that progress, no matter how painfully redundant it becomes.

Also, Satur8. We're all there in feeling a bit helpless (or at least I know I am). Rarely am I an optimist, but I think your kid is for the better experiencing this through his influential years. It might not resonate now for him, but his generation who equally were disrupted, will show better response when met with a global crisis.

Keep being the best Dad you can be.

• Giant
  • ONE MAN WILL RISK EVERYTHING TO SAVE HIS FAMILY.
We will not ever, even in our lifetime, lose bias over identity. That won't happen until all humans are one race, one gender, have the same name, equal size, living the same exact lives, day in and day out.

There's a scene in the underrated film Bullworth (1998) where Warren Beatty's off-the-rails Senator says everybody needs to shag each other until there are no more races, just one light brown race that looks the same everywhere.
Admittedly it's 22 years since I've seen it, but I suspect the film makes points that are true today and will be in the future too. (Hot Halle Berry is also in it, so y'know check it out.)
Speaking of fighting racism with racism, Grime artist Wiley (best known for Wearing My Rolex) went on a twitter tirade last night against Jews. Just google: Wiley anti semitism or check his WileyCEO twitter account (still there).
Is he entitled to be bitter about being ripped off by white record company suits? Probably. Is it appropriate for him to target Jews? Maybe not (I'm reeeally not a Hitler fan, just to be clear). But if he had said white people instead of jews would that have been ok? Funnily enough, I think it might have been. But I'm genuinely not sure. Is it ok to conflate white people and jewish people? I have no idea.
I remember when Adam Smith was doing interviews for Trespass Against Us he said his next project was a documentary on Wiley and that he was going to be following him to/around Glastonbury.
I dont think we heard any more about that. I wonder if we ever will.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2020, 12:45 by Wolkenkrabber »  
DON'T. LOOK. DOWN.

You must be logged in to post. Login or register!