Surrender

Requests, Bug Reports, How-To's, etc.

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 03, 2015, 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Wrong thread id indexes in DB, i hope this is fixed for now.
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Jun 14, 2020, 22:23

Wrong thread id indexes in DB, i hope this is fixed for now.
sorry, still not fixed  :(
no idea, no idea



I don't post often, but you damn well better believe I hit refresh or check back 10 times a day when the ChemBase is not available.

Thanks again to the dedicated admin team for keeping things going!
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Lately when I log in, I have to refresh my page to have the forum recognize my credentials. It's done this in both Chrome and Firefox from two different endpoints.

It's not big deal at all and may only be a local issue for me, but I'm reporting in case there was a change. This has been the case for me for about 2 weeks after cache clears and logouts. I have no issue if I stay logged in, but it happens if I log out or clear cache.TY
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Mar 18, 2021, 18:08

Lately when I log in, I have to refresh my page to have the forum recognize my credentials. It's done this in both Chrome and Firefox from two different endpoints.

It's not big deal at all and may only be a local issue for me, but I'm reporting in case there was a change. This has been the case for me for about 2 weeks after cache clears and logouts. I have no issue if I stay logged in, but it happens if I log out or clear cache.TY
I had been having this issue for months before I discovered a "fix" in my case a couple of days ago. I use Firefox:

- type in 'about:config'; in your address bar
- type in 'browser.cache.check_doc_frequency' in the search bar
- change value from 3 to 1.

I read that this changes how often FF refreshes the site's cache.
- 0: with each opening of FF
- 1: with each site access
- 2: never refreshing cache
-3: automatic

It could cause your browser to take a while longer to load sites but from my experience this is rather negligible.

My guess is Mozilla messed around with that algorithm in their last updates and it's not really refreshing at all when set to 3. This drove me nuts for a while because everytime I forgot to refresh a page, especially here on the forum, I occasionally would miss words in my edited posts because they weren't saved yet.
Last Edit: Mar 18, 2021, 19:10 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Success, thank you! I appreciate the quick answer to my extremely vexing inconvenience. LOL

I'm only telling you this because you deserve the laugh. I copied 'about:config'; into the address bar and got search results. It took 0.5 seconds to realize I'm a dumbass and copied the punctuation marks. Whoopsie!

I thought it also happened on Chrome on my VDI work computer, but now it makes sense that I was mistaken and more likely toggling back and forth through Citrix. I don't have Firefox on that image.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

In recent posts, I am seeing the following tweet error for any twitter embeds (link still works). It's happening on my computers and my phone. Any ideas? I am using Chrome for reference (yes, I really need to use a new browser).
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Fixed, specially for all of you..
It would be better if people on this social network stopped making radical statements, really.
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Jun 27, 2023, 19:58
Fixed, specially for all of you..
It would be better if people on this social network stopped making radical statements, really.
Thank you @Explud ! Can confirm tweets appear as normal.

I'll try to stop making radical statements like "MIGUEL WAS THE BEST CHEMS COLLAB EVAH!!!" on my long deleted account on said social media. No guarantees though...
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Is there a way in the search function that we can search a term by specific topic.

Ex. In the search function I want to look up Fuji rock in the past live footage (94-05) topic. I know there is the contain to specific board search, but can we go one further step down for those bigger threads. Sometimes you just don't want to search manually through 10+ pages for a specific post.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Why the forum so slow to load? It's been going on for at least a few days 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Aug 20, 2023, 04:29
Why the forum so slow to load? It's been going on for at least a few days
Explud may be able to tell you exactly what the reason is, but I'd suspect the server was a just bit slow or traffic related limits might be at play.

Quote from: rynostar on Jul 10, 2023, 06:32
Is there a way in the search function that we can search a term by specific topic. Ex. In the search function I want to look up Fuji rock in the past live footage (94-05) topic. I know there is the contain to specific board search, but can we go one further step down for those bigger threads. Sometimes you just don't want to search manually through 10+ pages for a specific post.
Sorry @rynostar, my apologies, your posts totally slipped past me. I need to ask the SMF team whether there's a way or plan to implement such a feature in a future release. I know from other forums that use a different platform that you can search topics individually (which would be super handy, I agree). But looking at our search menu it doesn't seem to cover that yet, unfortunately.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Aug 20, 2023, 04:29
Why the forum so slow to load? It's been going on for at least a few days
Quote from: Csar on Aug 20, 2023, 20:39
Explud may be able to tell you exactly what the reason is, but I'd suspect the server was a just bit slow or traffic related limits might be at play.
There are no restrictions on the part of the data center and its channels.
There are also no problems with the server load.
The problems are somewhere either in the middle of the connection, or closer to the user endpoint (in the USA).
Hi Kevin!

The only complaint i have with speed on the forum is with loading times of embedded media (youtube, twitter x, instagram...). Thats why it sometimes takes time to scroll down automatically if you click on "go to last post", because it only scrolls down if anything is loaded completely. You can do it manually, yes, but jump to last post is more comfortable.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: rynostar on Jul 10, 2023, 06:32
Is there a way in the search function that we can search a term by specific topic.
Quote from: Csar on Aug 20, 2023, 20:39
I need to ask the SMF team whether there's a way or plan to implement such a feature in a future release. I know from other forums that use a different platform that you can search topics individually (which would be super handy, I agree). But looking at our search menu it doesn't seem to cover that yet, unfortunately.

Ha. I came across an SMF topic today where the theme discussed there did in fact have that function. Then it got me thinking as to why ours doesn't and I inspected the standard SMF forum. And voilá, it's got it, too!
It turns out that the theme that we used as the basis apparently has removed that for whatever reason. I'm working on a solution to bring it back.

@rynostar: I've gotten it back for the current theme and the standard one. You'll find the search box at the bottom of the topic index and topics themselves.
Let me know if you come across bugs and stuff!
Last Edit: Aug 22, 2023, 09:36 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 21, 2023, 18:15
I've gotten it back for the current theme and the standard one. You'll find the search box at the bottom of the topic index and topics themselves. Let me know if you come across bugs and stuff!
I'll play around with the settings and test it later. Appreciate that we can search by folder / main topic now. Will see what I can do for specific threads when I have more time.  
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Still slow to load on forum homepage! The bg image takes forever to load. Once it's finished, I can then navigate the site!  Already tried 3 browsers on my phone with the same result. 

2 minutes just to click on a topic! 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I remember around the time of No Geography's release, the background wallpaper (a photo of T&E, I think) took a while to load and it would default to a powder blue colour associated with that album until the wallpaper loaded.
But at the moment? Honestly it is super fast. I really mean it. The wallpaper, the threads, everything. It's never been as responsive as this for me. So I'm inclined to "Believe" or agree with Explud where he says there are no problems with the server load.
The forum has honestly never been better for me.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.