I Know What to Do: I'm Going to Lose My Mind

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 30, 2017, 22:22

Atomic Blonde .
Not out here til 9th August but I want to see it. How bad can it be considering they got HEALTH to record Blue Monday especially for it, and I think the original is in there too (?) And Sofia Boutella from the Chems "Tell Me I'm Not an Athlete" is in it too. Bonus.

Im gonna assume there was no trickery editing in switching stunt women with Miss Theron in that 'special action' sequence because that was some crazy realistic shit there.

You can kind of tell that the punches aren't landing in the fighting on this trailer. Especially if you ignore the dubbed in sound effects. The stairs bit is good though!
In fact I read an interview with Theron recently where she said she got hurt early on in the filming.

Not a female john wick, but kind of close. ok ok....a mild exaggeration!
John Wick was directed by two guys (who had also worked with Keanu as stunt guys on The Matrix). One of those guys directed Atomic Blonde.
Last Edit: Jul 30, 2017, 22:42 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 26, 2017, 07:29

Saw Dunkirk on 70mm. Not Nolans best work. Visually great looking film but carries minor tension including emotionless characters that I couldn't connect with as seen on other war films. Very inaudible dialogue as well. If you like war films, skip this and wait for the bluray!

Hate to disagree, but I had a very different experience. I thought the movie was super intense and filled with a lot of collective emotion. I'm thinking this is Nolan's best film to date and maybe the best war movie I've ever seen.

For those who have yet to see it, I recommend seeing it in the best formats available to you, so you can enjoy all the impeccable sound editing, intense soundtrack (fuck yeah Hans Zimmer!!!) and the stunning cinematic scenes.

While I'm still blabbing about Hans Zimmer, I meant to bring this up the other day:

Hans Zimmer has joined Blade Runner 2049 to help compose the score

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/30/16065872/hans-zimmer-blade-runner-2049-compose-score-denis-villeneuve

Intriguing. But this does seem troublesome. I was impressed with Johann Johannsson's work on Arrival, and seeking help from a well accomplished composer like Hans seems fitting for such a difficult task. But Hans can be a bit too bombastic and aggressive in his structure (though Interstellar showed the opposite). Here's hoping they can achieve something worthy to it's predecessor.

I love Hans Zimmer, but I have to say, after Honest Trailers - Interstellar, I always picture him falling asleep on his organ  ;D

It's kind of like Stefan messed up Get lucky for me with that 'Mexican monkey' part  :D
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 04, 2017, 05:37

Hate to disagree, but I had a very different experience. I thought the movie was super intense and filled with a lot of collective emotion. I'm thinking this is Nolan's best film to date and maybe the best war movie I've ever seen.

For those who have yet to see it, I recommend seeing it in the best formats available to you, so you can enjoy all the impeccable sound editing, intense soundtrack (fuck yeah Hans Zimmer!!!) and the stunning cinematic scenes.

Me too! I really, really enjoyed Dunkirk. While it captured the collective emotion (perfect word chose, Bosch) of both soldiers and civilians, I liked that it was not a bloody, heavy handed film lamenting the tragedy of war. The feelings of claustrophobia - executed through sound and setting, from land, sea, and air - made this film feel immersive. It had beautiful cinematography. I saw it in one of those Dolby cinemas with sound shaking seats and rolling sound, so I'm positive that also played into it being a more immersive experience.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Game of Thrones

Spoiler
Is it me, or does it seem like this show hasn't had a good season for a while now. There has been extremely dramatic episodes along the way that have kept the fire burning for this series, but I feel brutally offended by episode 6 in this latest season (7). If the white walkers don't roll to victory and some sort of extra spin to this show happens, I'll be disappointed.

Stranger Things

After dragging my feat, and countless people recommending it to me, I finally just watched the first season. Holy crap! This was just incredible! This is the sci-fi horror mystery epic I've been waiting for. Season 2 next month, and I can't wait.

and a shot out to the new Netflix drama by Jason Bateman, "Ozark". Really great first season. Best way I can describe it, oddly, Breaking Bad meets Arrested Development.

We live in some awesome time to watch television series. So addictive.
Last Edit: Sep 05, 2017, 06:52 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 05, 2017, 06:34

Game of Thrones

Spoiler
Is it me, or does it seem like this show hasn't had a good season for a while now. There has been extremely dramatic episodes along the way that have kept the fire burning for this series, but I feel brutally offended by episode 6 in this latest season (7). If the white walkers don't roll to victory and some sort of extra spin to this show happens, I'll be disappointed.

The writing seems to have gotten pretty lazy of late.
Spoiler
I enjoyed the Little Finger double cross, but it didn't hit as hard as some of the best moments from previous seasons coughdeathofthevipercough. I'll keep watching it - it's very much a bonding thing for me and my fiancée's family. But I'm ready for some characters to die or do something completely unexpected. Like, I don't know, Tyrion double crossing Daenerys for the sake of the Lannister name... or something.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 05, 2017, 20:14

The writing seems to have gotten pretty lazy of late.
Spoiler
I enjoyed the Little Finger double cross, but it didn't hit as hard as some of the best moments from previous seasons coughdeathofthevipercough. I'll keep watching it - it's very much a bonding thing for me and my fiancée's family. But I'm ready for some characters to die or do something completely unexpected. Like, I don't know, Tyrion double crossing Daenerys for the sake of the Lannister name... or something.

Spoiler

ayo yo yo pussy bitches it's been a long time since I've been on this forum but let me reassure you my love for chems and their music has been the same. In fact, I've grown to love some un-lovable tracks like Left-Right. That's right. Left-motherfucking-Right.

Getting back to GOT....Of course what I'm most curious about is Cersei/Jamie's fate. to me that's the most exciting storyline. I mean this dude has been into this chick, literally, for so long and now for him to abandon her in the middle of White-walker invasion is pretty shady. I see the valonquer theory turning to be true....

Ozark btw was great.

The first trailer for the movie adaptation of Van der Meer's Annihilation is here:

The book (as well as Authority and Acceptance, the subsequent parts of the trilogy) was strange, haunting and absolutely fascinating! If the trailer is any indiciation, the movie manages to capture the eerie atmosphere.

No one has talked about Mother yet? Holy Shit. No pun intended.

I feel like Black Swan might've been better in terms of playing with that being inside a characters head/thoughts for the whole movie. Mother might've been too ambitious with a lot going on. I've had to watch a few online interviews with both Darren and Jennifer to get more of an idea of where it was coming from. I liked how I didn't do that before hand TBH because I liked trying to interpret it myself first and in some areas I was in line with what Darren was trying to do. I liked the whole concept of it but not sure if executed the best.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Seen It the other day, but would give it only 5/10 - it is exactly as boring as the movie from the early 90s. Actors are quit good and the effects are up to date, but the complete story should be a lot shorter.
no idea, no idea

anyone seen new Blade Runner?

Blade Runner: Without letting any spoilers accidentally coming out to people who haven't seen it yet: I liked it. I felt it was handled well and and storyline was more complexed than I thought it would be in a good way. That was the main thing that worried me was that it was going to rely on being more beautifully looking with more action and the story would be tossed aside forgetting the main intention and reason why it was so good to begin with. (Like the botched Ghost in the Shell remake).

Just back from the theatre

Blade Runner = THANK YOU

Quote from: MIKL on Oct 09, 2017, 23:11

I felt it was handled well and and storyline was more complexed than I thought it would be in a good way. That was the main thing that worried me was that it was going to rely on being more beautifully looking with more action and the story would be tossed aside forgetting the main intention and reason why it was so good to begin with.

Agree with this. The trailers for this film were pretty misleading, and thank goodness for that.

Spoiler
What was everyone's feeling on the synthetic love scene? At first, I was panicked and thought this would be the one moment that broke the film for me, but as things developed, it really fucked with my head.

I'm ready for a second round.
Last Edit: Oct 11, 2017, 04:15 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 11, 2017, 00:09

Just back from the theatre

Blade Runner = THANK YOU

Agree with this. The trailers for this film were pretty misleading, and thank goodness for that.

Spoiler
What was everyone's feeling on the synthetic love scene? At first, I was panicked and thought this would be the one moment that broke the film for me, but as things developed, it really fucked with my head.

I'm ready for a second round.

Yeah I feel like its opened up more questions again as well as slighly answered some old ones but not solid answers. I really liked the ending and the stage the characters are at at that point. Totally hope for another one its lined up for it.

I had more questions on the authenticity of certain relationships among all the characters in the end. I want to watch it again but the imax screenings are late at night now and selling out.

I watched a few press videos and they really didn't want to spoil it for the hardcore fans which I suppose you have to respect and appreciate and so people will still want to watch it in the cinema.

I have to admit that I was somewhat afraid that Bladerunner would be as bad as ridley's last few movies were, but having seen it yesterday, I'm happy to say that Bladerunner 2049 didn't disappoint and I'm looking forward to new movies set in that universe

Also, It was amazing!

Just FYI - Ridley Scott did *not* direct Blade Runner 2049.

Could explain why it's good.

Yeah, I know, but he did produce it, hence my worry  :)

So glad they didn't made a crap Bladerunner movie!

New Star Wars trailer was awesome! Anyone seen it?

I just read about Blade Runner 2049 and it's struggle at the box office. Very disappointing to read, but it makes sense why it's bombing. This is really discouraging considering this is the type of big budget, deep thinking, sci-fi film I want to see produced.

I would love to hear Whirly's take on the film, not only cause I know she is a huge fan of the first, but because I would like to hear a woman's opinion.

Also, supper awesome and nerdy video review by Adam Savage of Mythbusters:

Spoiler

jump to 15 minute mark
Last Edit: Oct 12, 2017, 06:47 by Bosco