Listen to Your Heart

For That Beautiful Feeling (XDUST12)

Started by ThePumisher, Aug 27, 2021, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: gfa2001 on Mar 27, 2023, 22:13
Manchester is where they met and I think thats the main thing. Have they ever said what they consider it to be themself? I can get the argument both ways, but they did form in Manchester.
Original comment was "Home Town"
They weren't born there, weren't raised there, don't live there.
I lived in West Africa for 3 years (about the same length of time T&E went to Uni) when I was a kid, that doesn't mean it's my homeland.

Re: where they met, my parents met in Canada. Doesn't make them Canadian.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: chemdup on Mar 27, 2023, 22:17
It takes 6 months to get vinyl pressed these days...not surprising the album isn't out until October. Still a pity, gonna be a long summer to wait!

That seems to be the popular reason for delays, but opening presales 6 months ahead with no details other than format is a shitty practice.

it's really taking the mickey a bit.

Quote from: Bosco on Mar 27, 2023, 23:46
That seems to be the popular reason for delays, but opening presales 6 months ahead with no details other than format is a shitty practice.
and no actual release date till you pay. never seen an album go onsale without the cover art before
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Have to agree...
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Also if vinyl delays are the reason, then they could have planned this 6 months ago. Universal know the score on that stuff. They can't say "we didn't realise, we have no influence, we don't understand".
So I guess it's actually down to how ready the album was/is.

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 27, 2023, 19:45
So it was more like the hometown of The Chemical Brothers University town of Tom & Ed before they were called The Chems (where they laid the groundwork for their music career  studied, went raving, did some DJ-ing and self released a couple of 12"s), rather than the hometown of either Tom or Ed :D

Exactly!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Can we change the 'No Geography' topic to 'Not Final Artwork' now? 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Referring back to KEXP interview that Csar translated to text about "one reoccurring hero" in terms of future collaboration on new album...

Anyone have an inkling?

I want to say, Beck. I've only recently followed Beck on instagram but they (Chems HQ/ Ed/Beck) seem to "like" each others post a bit often, no? Maybe I'm looking into that too much and projecting my likings, but I think the crossover appeal is pretty strong between the two and a second collaboration would be pretty logical.

Any thoughts on someone else?

Hoping for Stephanie Dosen or Beth Orton

More than 20 years waiting for another collab with Bernard Sumner.
Just get yourself high.

Quote from: Bosco on May 09, 2023, 01:21
Referring back to KEXP interview that Csar translated to text about "one reoccurring hero" in terms of future collaboration on new album...
Anyone have an inkling?
I want to say, Beck. I've only recently followed Beck on instagram but they (Chems HQ/ Ed/Beck) seem to "like" each others post a bit often, no? Maybe I'm looking into that too much and projecting my likings, but I think the crossover appeal is pretty strong between the two and a second collaboration would be pretty logical.
Any thoughts on someone else?

I think it's gonna be Tim Burgess
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

A reoccurring hero collaborator? Hmm lets see...

Beth Orton: It occurred to me that the new "warped pop/rock/indie" track may not actually be Ellie Rowsell (who currently has a credit on SACEM for Dreaming). It could perhaps be Beth? Maybe?
But we have had her a couple of times before, (and Tom worked on Call Me The Breeze). Would it be overkill bringing her back again? Chances: medium

Tim Burgess: I'm a big fan of Life Is Sweet although I've always felt Tim's vocal sounded a bit weak or reedy on that tune. Just me? His voice sounds much better on The Boxer. Anyway, clearly he has collab'd a couple of times before and then there were all those Charlatans remixes (Toothache, Patrol, Nine Acre Dust). So we have already had quite a lot of Tim/Chems crossover. Whether that means: no more, or "can't wait to collab again" is down to interpretation I guess. I have noticed that Tim often says nice things about the Chems on social media, so he would probably be an easy 'invitation'. Chances: medium to high.
https://twitter.com/Tim_Burgess/status/1298719807831814144
EDIT: ah I've just seen HSTNs post. I'm jumping this to VERY HIGH.

Noel Gallagher: Well we've had two very high profile collabs from Noel, plus the Chems remix of Falling Down. Would this feel too much like a retro trip to the 90s if they collab'd again? I think it would. Chances: Low

Bernard Sumner: Well it may be 20 years since OOC but it's not 20 years since a Bernard Collab.
On New Order's 2015 album Music Complete, Unlearn This Hatred was produced by Tom Rowlands. I would suggest that the track is largely a collab between Bernard (writer/vox) and Tom (producer). The other members of the band are almost incidental on this track. Tom was also involved with production/synths on Singularity. Also after the album's release Tom did a remix of Tutti Frutti.

As well as the above, of course we have Here To Stay from 2002, and we have Bernard's vocals popping up on Temptation/SG live. So I wonder if the Chems may be all Bernard-ed out.
Having said that, Bernard is clearly still open to the idea of collabs in general, as he recently released one with Mella Dee (which I posted  here). He also did a 17 minute video interview with Mella Dee for NME recently where he told his old Chems story of having all the guitars discarded from his recordings (for OOC). He is asked about forthcoming projects and mentions Arcade Fire (remix in the can) but nothing about a new Chems collab. Interview: here
Chances: low to  medium.

Richard Ashcroft: Well The Test is kinda awesome, one of the best guest vocals ever. But The Verve are no more and I don't think Ashcroft's solo career is blowing people away these days. Chances: low.

Q-Tip: We've had him on Galvanize and more recently on Go. On the one hand, he has really done the business on both occasions. On the other hand, getting him back for a third time might be overkill. Chances: low

Stephanie Dosen: Love her voice on Further and Hanna, and would be happy to hear her again on Chems tracks, but I'm not sure she counts as a returning hero. Outside of hardcore Chems fans, most people wouldn't even know her as a Chems collaborator.

Beck: Wide Open is a really well written song, and I've nocticed the Chems play Beck's Sea Change album when setting up for their gigs (what a gorgeous album that is). But is it too soon? 2015 is relatively recent isn't it? I guess if the song is good enough then I wouldn't complain. Chances: low to medium.

Aurora: Too soon. Chances: very low.
Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 21:53 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Miguel
no idea, no idea

@Wolkenkrabber ,

Now that's a Charles Miner approved rundown!

Charles Miner | Novice | Kaggle

Great detective work @hstn , though Tim's response was a bit vague. It possibly could mean anytime in future, but I'll give benefit of a doubt and say Tim is probably a favorite for XDUST12.

Not that I have any evidence to further my case, but I would like to expound on my selection for Beck...

Of the people listed in Wolkenkrabber's list, Beck is the most multi-dimensional vocal artists. He can probably capture any type of feeling or genre Tom and Ed throw at him, including some nerdy-styled rapping (which he is pretty clever and good at!). He'll also write them some unique and meaningful lyrics if that's his task. He's even worked with common ground favorites like The (O.G.) Dust Brothers and Beth Orton. Coming from a label/marketing perspective, he's a mutl-grammy award winner (so are Chems) and I gotta imagine management would be happy accommodating any work with him.

I'd like to think 'Wide Open' isn't a one-off thing.

Bloc Party are about at the moment, how about Kele Okereke?

maybe we need the return of Fatlip - can be a song about post-brexit fishing or something

Personally speaking I have alway wanted a Bobby gallespie collaboration. This man only doing backing vocals for the chems is not enough! I'd happily take a Bernard Sumner or Tim Burgess any day over any other collaborators they have worked with in the past. 

Would anyone prefer a Liam Gallagher Collab over a Noel Gallagher Collab? I've never dug oasis, everyone of my generation had their first 2 album except me it would seem. They Gallagher are knobs, but Liam get bonus points for charm and his voice is pretty solid these days.

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: sneakerbeater on May 10, 2023, 16:51
Personally speaking I have alway wanted a Bobby gallespie collaboration. This man only doing backing vocals for the chems is not enough! I'd happily take a Bernard Sumner or Tim Burgess any day over any other collaborators they have worked with in the past.

Would anyone prefer a Liam Gallagher Collab over a Noel Gallagher Collab? I've never dug oasis, everyone of my generation had their first 2 album except me it would seem. They Gallagher are knobs, but Liam get bonus points for charm and his voice is pretty solid these days.

didn't Liam have a disdain for the Brothers?

Quote from: Stefan on May 09, 2023, 14:38
Hoping for Stephanie Dosen or Beth Orton
Also I have a strong feeling those are Stephanie's vocals on that Warped Pop song
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: sneakerbeater on May 10, 2023, 16:51

Firmly camp Noel

Liam is a dickhead and his solo output is appalling. Noel's is in a completely different league

Lets not forget abou Ali Love.
Just get yourself high.