We Help to Make the World a Little Bit Better

For That Beautiful Feeling (XDUST12)

Started by ThePumisher, Aug 27, 2021, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Found the liner notes for Goodbye interesting - sorry if this has been mentioned before.

What's the difference between 'under licence' and 'used by permission'? Can the rights holder now ask for a princely sum for the use of their sample since the Chemical Brothers track has already been produced and distributed?

Goodbye
Written by Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons and Robert Argyrios Gantzos (BMG Rights Management (UK) Ltd, Deju Music (BMI)). Contains a sample of 'Good-bye* performed by Teresa Harris & The Gene Parker Quintet.
Under license from Tramp Records. Written by Robert Argyrios Gantzos. Published by Deju Music (BMI).
We request that the rights holder of this composition contact BMG as we were unable to contact them despite all efforts.


I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but I was messing around with digital album jumping from track-to-track, and accidentally came across a potentially hidden aspect to the album.

Play the first 3 seconds of Skipping Like a Stone and then click to play For That Beautiful Feeling.

Inhale...

Exhale...

Edit-
Goddammit, I just tracked down Wolkenkrabber's review and sure enough he mentions it. This man don't miss! Also, Biff got this too. Credit where credit is due!

Anyway, it's still unique to hear the first 3 seconds of SLAS and then immediately the first 3 seconds of FTBF

Doh. I forgot the US releases don't get the official XDUST treatment. Such a shame.

Definitely going to have to pick up a UK copy next time I'm back! (No Geography too, for that matter).
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 22, 2023, 04:57
Play the first 3 seconds of Skipping Like a Stone and then click to play For That Beautiful Feeling.
...
Edit-
Goddammit, I just tracked down Wolkenkrabber's review and sure enough he mentions it. This man don't miss! Also, Biff got this too. Credit where credit is due!

Anyway, it's still unique to hear the first 3 seconds of SLAS and then immediately the first 3 seconds of FTBF
Well done for jumping back to p24 and reading my little review. I would argue that the choral sound is at the end of FLIAD (from 5:22 to 6:58)  more than the start of FTBF (the first 3 or 4 seconds). At least that's how it works with the digital tracks, but perhaps could be viewed differently with vinyl and cassette. Props to Biff for adding more detail on that too.
The extended mix of SLAS of course, has a much longer version of that choral intro.

Reading my "listening party" review back now, I have no idea why I thought Goodbye had a nod to A Higher State Of Consciousness. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to parking yourself under a speaker at the listening party (yes I'm blaming the acoustics!). My U2 reference was a bit off too...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Ford on Sep 17, 2023, 15:38
Found the liner notes for Goodbye interesting - sorry if this has been mentioned before.

What's the difference between 'under licence' and 'used by permission'? Can the rights holder now ask for a princely sum for the use of their sample since the Chemical Brothers track has already been produced and distributed?

Goodbye
Written by Tom Rowlands, Ed Simons and Robert Argyrios Gantzos (BMG Rights Management (UK) Ltd, Deju Music (BMI)). Contains a sample of 'Good-bye* performed by Teresa Harris & The Gene Parker Quintet.
Under license from Tramp Records. Written by Robert Argyrios Gantzos. Published by Deju Music (BMI).
We request that the rights holder of this composition contact BMG as we were unable to contact them despite all efforts.


I think this means the label (tramp records) gave chems licensing but they didn't manage to actually contact the artist themselves to confirm?
Not sure though - interested as well
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

What does everyone think the next (and presumably final) single from FTBF will be?

I'm kinda tied between Goodbye and Feels Like I'm Dreaming 

I don't think anyone talked about it, but doesn't The Weight remind you of Power Move ? Very similar beat, bass and overall tone.

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 26, 2023, 11:12
What does everyone think the next (and presumably final) single from FTBF will be?

I'm kinda tied between Goodbye and Feels Like I'm Dreaming
I think it will be Dreaming. Would also make one hell of an EBW. (As would, of course, Goodbye)

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 26, 2023, 11:12
What does everyone think the next (and presumably final) single from FTBF will be?

I'm kinda tied between Goodbye and Feels Like I'm Dreaming
I'm voting for "Intro"

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 26, 2023, 11:47
I think it will be Dreaming. Would also make one hell of an EBW. (As would, of course, Goodbye)
But when FLIAD was suggested as an EBW to Tom he said: "maybe something new for that". So the next 'single' might be EBW13 and it...could be something new that we haven't heard?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Do we know for sure there will be another single? This is my first time actually following an album rollout, so excuse my lack of knowledge. 

I was surprised Tom hadn't thought of Dreaming as EBW 13, as to me (and others), it screams EBW. The way he phrased his response made it sound like, to me, there weren't currently any plans for an EBW 13, so maybe that could be something for next year or the year after as a release to give us something in between XDUST12 and XDUST13 (if there is one). 

This is EXTREMELY optimistic, but maybe they'll put out Too Hot as a single now or they could tag it on to whatever single is next. The way Tom talked about it definitely implied there weren't currently plans to put out, but who knows, maybe that was him playing dumb? Probably not, that's just the little hope remaining in me that this one won't remain lost on the Chemical shelves for the next 30 years. 

My guess is the next single (if there is one) will be Feels Like I Am Dreaming and it will use this as the cover art: Nicholas Krushenick – ARTnews.com

Small side note: WAAAYYYY Earlier in this thread, I made some observations about how the title of the album felt weird compared to the others in terms of structure, but others have pointed out and I'm starting to realize that, when added on to most of the early album titles, it makes a more full command!

Exit Planet Dust for that beautiful feeling
Dig Your Own Hole for that beautiful feeling
Surrender for that beautiful feeling (or surrender to?)
Come With Us for that beautiful feeling
Push The Button for that beautiful feeling (my favorite combo)
For That Beautiful Feeling for that beautiful feeling
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 26, 2023, 12:44
So the next 'single' might be EBW13 and it...could be something new that we haven't heard?
they did say they had a triple LPs worth of material until they backed away from that idea. some of that material might go somewhere.

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 27, 2023, 05:14
they did say they had a triple LPs worth of material until they backed away from that idea. some of that material might go somewhere.

Tom responding to 3LP/4LP question from Rolling Stone UK interview:
Quote
I wish I had never said that ! We make hundreds of tracks in the studio every day that don't make it to release. We're only interested in the ones that we love. We're still obsessed with creating an album that flows and takes people on a journey. That's the ultimate goal of our work. We don't make compromises. We choose the songs that we both agree on, because we have to play them together on stage. There are so many bands out there where one member has done a song that the others don't like, and they walk off stage and let the guy play it on his own with an acoustic guitar!

So yeah... Tom being Tom. Still doesn't disprove that there is more material behind closed doors ;) .



Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 26, 2023, 11:12
What does everyone think the next (and presumably final) single from FTBF will be?
I'm kinda tied between Goodbye and Feels Like I'm Dreaming

I'm not sure anymore singles are coming. I could see a "wrap up" EP. Maybe an alternative mix or two, instrumental, etc. Or perhaps another music video, but not a single (think, We've Got to Try).

Has a 2023 Black Friday RSD announcement been made yet?



Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 26, 2023, 11:58
I'm voting for "Intro"
Quote from: Stefan on Sep 27, 2023, 17:46
I'm in
Spoiler
The one that should have never seen the day of light?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 26, 2023, 11:12
What does everyone think the next (and presumably final) single from FTBF will be?

I'm kinda tied between Goodbye and Feels Like I'm Dreaming
Unedited, longer and radio edit versions of FLIAD, but I hope for alt mixes like Eve of Dub too 
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Been listening to the album lots again after taking a bit of a break from it.
One thing that I dont really like is the release roadmap of dripfeeding songs and clips out. Im sure they have experts with data to prove that this is the best way to maximise sales potential etc but I much prefer the oldschool way of 1 single, then the album, then a couple more singles with new tracks/remixes released with them. 
I find this new way, before the album is even out Im kind of bored of a few tunes on it, probably my own fault for overplaying No Reason when it first dropped. 

Also, not sure if this has happened with anyone else but there is a small inkling of sadness now knowing the album is out and we'll have to wait another 2 or 3 years before the next one is released. Its like Christmas, all the build up then before you know it its over



Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Quote from: gavin35 on Sep 28, 2023, 09:49
Been listening to the album lots again after taking a bit of a break from it.
One thing that I dont really like is the release roadmap of dripfeeding songs and clips out. Im sure they have experts with data to prove that this is the best way to maximise sales potential etc but I much prefer the oldschool way of 1 single, then the album, then a couple more singles with new tracks/remixes released with them.
I find this new way, before the album is even out Im kind of bored of a few tunes on it, probably my own fault for overplaying No Reason when it first dropped.

Also, not sure if this has happened with anyone else but there is a small inkling of sadness now knowing the album is out and we'll have to wait another 2 or 3 years before the next one is released. Its like Christmas, all the build up then before you know it its over
Feels like your first message you said you disliked the release method (which is standard nowadays) then afterwards you basically said you liked the build up!

Its been even worse the getting bored already for me - i first heard No Reason and Dreaming almost 2 years ago now!

I think TDTYF coming out over 3 years ? i think? ago hasn't helped
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023


0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.