Previous topic - Next topic

Do we need this?

Yes, we do
9 (42.9%)
Damn yes!
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Petition for re-releasing all things Dust Brothers:

01 Song To The Siren (4:49, from Song To The Siren 12", 1992/93)
02 Chemical Beats (5:41, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
03 One Too Many Mornings (4:17, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
04 Dope Coil (5:05, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
05 Her Jazz (8:40, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
06 Be That Thing (4:11, from A Serious Roadtrip compilation, 1994)
07 My Mercury Mouth (5:55, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
08 If You Kling To Me I'll Klong You (5:26, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
09 Dust-Up-Beats (6:35, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
10 Dust Up Beats (7:00, full lenght eventually replaced version aka the Wipeout-version, from My Mercury Mouth E.P promo cassette, 1994)
11 Song To The Siren [Sabre 100% Chunk Mix by The Sabres Of Paradise] (9:31, from Song To The Siren 12", 1993)
12 Song To The Siren [Full Sabre Mix by The Sabres Of Paradise] (10:55, from Song To The Siren 12", 1993)

Should the remixes they've made around that time also be included?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 05, 2023, 16:26
Fun Ryno fact, I only found out about this track the other day while searching through the SOCAN Public Repertoire. If I recall, it was played as the first track on a DJ mix from the '90s era. Can someone remind me which mix it's on (or if I am imagining things). 

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: rynostar on Mar 06, 2023, 18:16
Fun Ryno fact, I only found out about this track the other day while searching through the SOCAN Public Repertoire. 
I only learned about it when it was mentioned in passing on another thread here somewhat recently. It is...not great, even considering it's 30+ years old.

Would also be curious to know which mix it's on, to hear it in that context!

Im sure they would if it weren't for lack of sample clearance on old stuff. I mean, look at De La Soul, their stuff just finally got put on Spotify largely for that reason.
It would be so nice to get decent audio quality. You can't even get a 12" of Song to the Siren streaming.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 05, 2023, 16:26
Petition for re-releasing all things Dust Brothers:

01 Song To The Siren (4:49, from Song To The Siren 12", 1992/93)
02 Chemical Beats (5:41, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
03 One Too Many Mornings (4:17, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
04 Dope Coil (5:05, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
05 Her Jazz (8:40, from Fourteenth Century Sky E.P., 1994)
07 My Mercury Mouth (5:55, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
08 If You Kling To Me I'll Klong You (5:26, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
09 Dust-Up-Beats (6:35, from My Mercury Mouth E.P, 1994)
10 Dust Up Beats (7:00, full lenght eventually replaced version aka the Wipeout-version, from My Mercury Mouth E.P promo cassette, 1994)
11 Song To The Siren [Sabre 100% Chunk Mix by The Sabres Of Paradise] (9:31, from Song To The Siren 12", 1993)
12 Song To The Siren [Full Sabre Mix by The Sabres Of Paradise] (10:55, from Song To The Siren 12", 1993)

Should the remixes they've made around that time also be included?
YES, PLEASE, and THANK YOU.

And yeah, a disc two of their early remixes would also be on point. I had given up on this dream, but after the Lowands bonus for DYOH, I am once again hopeful for the classic early material.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: neorev on May 31, 2023, 20:25
Her Jazz is such a great song. It's a shame they don't play this live.

I've always felt that it was the Chems attempt to ape Future Sound Of London's Papua New Guinea. It samples the same Dead Can Dance track but came out three years after the FSOL release. I do like Her Jazz but I wonder if the track kinda puts the Chems in the shadow of FSOL - whose track would be far better known and perhaps preferred by the general public.
Song To The Siren -which also samples Dead Can Dance- feels more like it's not trying to copy anyone. A more authentic Chemical soundscape.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on May 31, 2023, 21:18
I do like Her Jazz but I wonder if the track kinda puts the Chems in the shadow of FSOL -
Nah. I absolutely love Her Jazz and live in a world where I can enjoy two different interpretations from two similar-ish artists using the same sample source.

If anything, I try not to think about the sources of samples the Chems use and just enjoy the music. Both Afrika by Plastic Honey (1999 vs 2002) and Do It Again by Razor & Guido (1998 vs 2007) successfully used samples associated with iconic Chemical Brothers' singles before Tom and Ed immortalized them, and that's just the way dance music works. Now, neither of those examples meet the quality of FSOL, but to hold the Brothers to some purity test in 1994 prior to the digital age and before they hit it big seems a little harsh IMO. Hell, the were still using someone else's name as homage at that point.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on May 31, 2023, 21:18
I've always felt that it was the Chems attempt to ape Future Sound Of London's Papua New Guinea. It samples the same Dead Can Dance track but came out three years after the FSOL release. I do like Her Jazz but I wonder if the track kinda puts the Chems in the shadow of FSOL - whose track would be far better known and perhaps preferred by the general public.
Song To The Siren -which also samples Dead Can Dance- feels more like it's not trying to copy anyone. A more authentic Chemical soundscape.
There might be similarities in terms of style/flair, but I totally get a different vibe from Her Jazz (and PNG), nothing I'd describe as "aping", tbh.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm old enough to have bought Papua New Guinea on 12" around the time it came out (the '92 release with all the mixes). When I heard Her Jazz circa '94/95 by an artist I previously hadn't heard of, my first reaction was: who are these guys who are trying to copy FSOL?
Sorry, but that's how I felt about it at the time. First impressions and all that...
IT'S MORNING TIME!