What's this do? Superstar DJs, Here We Go!

Music gear talk

Started by Ben_j, Sep 18, 2015, 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic
I love the sound of the rotary knobs as you turn them. High quality knobs. Yes, I care that much about something that seems trivial.

They seem to be similar to the sequence pattern rotary knob on the SQ-1
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love my FR Revolution, though the notes getting stuck on glide in ableton is the BANE OF MY EXIIISTANCE!


My fr rev came in today
Now I just need to become a master with it
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a MIDI issue that I could use help resolving.

My FR revolution is off tempo with my kaossilator. I like using the kaossilator as my timekeeper, since it does not send Play/Stop over MIDI. Also, I love being able to control tempo with a rotary knob with the option of adjusting in 1 or .1 increments. The rev sends play/stop info, so it fucks with everything and is a bit of a MIDI brute, so I do not like using it as the master. Is there a way to disable just that message?

Basically, I think it is time for a master MIDI device with multiple MIDI outs that would actually be a slave to the Kaoss for tempo control. Any recommendations? (low price preferable, but I do not mind hearing of more expensive options for the future)
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Feb 23, 2016, 01:57

I have a MIDI issue that I could use help resolving.

My FR revolution is off tempo with my kaossilator. I like using the kaossilator as my timekeeper, since it does not send Play/Stop over MIDI. Also, I love being able to control tempo with a rotary knob with the option of adjusting in 1 or .1 increments. The rev sends play/stop info, so it fucks with everything and is a bit of a MIDI brute, so I do not like using it as the master. Is there a way to disable just that message?

Basically, I think it is time for a master MIDI device with multiple MIDI outs that would actually be a slave to the Kaoss for tempo control. Any recommendations? (low price preferable, but I do not mind hearing of more expensive options for the future)
Sync over midi is a bitch. There are some boxes to sync midi more accurately over multiple hardware devices like this one
http://www.e-rm.de/multiclock

New Technics SL1200G is $4000

Yea though I walk through the valley and shadow of death
every day of my life,
I fear no evil for The Lord is with me.

Got an alesis sr-16. Loving it so far, but need to really delve into it. As this machine is super common in recording, anybody know of some chems tracks with it?
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, I've never seen it on any of their gear lists, but it is a common one for sure. Elektron Machine drums are more abundant. Elektron just cut the prices so how's a good time to save for one of those (and a monomachine!).

Also, now that you have a drum machine & Revolution, you should write a drum pattern with the rev and then use the remix feature for a drum solo. You could also run the drum machine into the FR filter in for that, distortion and effects.
Last Edit: Apr 05, 2016, 14:52 by Biff

Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 05, 2016, 00:48

Got an alesis sr-16. Loving it so far, but need to really delve into it. As this machine is super common in recording, anybody know of some chems tracks with it?
First piece of gear I bought... It was absolute shit :D


Soulwax released another video from their Belgica soundtrack and it's absolute synth porn. EMS Synthi, EMS Synthi 100, ARP Odyssey, and some elements from the ARP 2500 and Roland System 100. I wonder if it's all theirs. The 2500 and Synthi 100 particularly, as they're very rare.
EDIT: Apparently they used the Synthi 100 from the University of Gand.
http://fuzz-mag.be/nieuws/23021/schakelt-soulwax-synthi-100-in-voor-nieuw-album

Last Edit: Apr 05, 2016, 15:56 by Ben_j

Oh yeah, the FR Rev has had a lot of things run through it. Have not done the remix function while running audio through the Rev. Only used it when using FR Rev's own audio.

I have also been using the CV out on the Korg SQ-1 with the Rev. I tend to only go 5V at max, preferring 2V.

SR-16 sounds great when you couple it with a drum machine that has great low freq content.

Next step is a sampler. Lots of great prices for Akai's S-series on ebay, so I am thinking of going old school again. After that, I think it is time to invest in a patch bay as my floor looks like a jungle.

Figured out a lot of my MIDI issues. It was mainly the Kaossilator that was being a pain. sr-16 is a great master as it does not cause other devices to start out of sync right away (unlike my casio rz-1). I am thinking of modding my Volca devices to have a midi out.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the mk 1 version since 2013 until three weeks ago....i sold it. Massive regrets...

i found the mk 2 version on the web...i bought it  :-X. The 777 is absolutely nice but the FFR got something....the remix is nice and i love the sequencer and it works well with my octatrack...killer one

Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 05, 2016, 19:30

SR-16 sounds great when you couple it with a drum machine that has great low freq content.
From my memories, the sounds of the SR16 were awful. All acoustic drum hits, no good for electronic music

Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 05, 2016, 19:30

Next step is a sampler. Lots of great prices for Akai's S-series on ebay, so I am thinking of going old school again.
Again - check out the Korg Microsampler. It's much more playable/accessible than an old school sampler. More knobs and buttons that are live ready / single purpose (rather than generic function buttons) built in 3 octave keyboard, really extensive FX bank, and a built in sequencer. If you're looking to take a piano sample (for example) and map it across a keyboard, make a pattern with it, and throw a reverb and chorus on it in 5 minutes, it's great for that. The screen is garbage though (digital clock style) and it's obviously not very classic.

Of course you can do all this with an Akai S + sequencer + enough midi controllers, and the Akai's going to be a lot better for acting as a sample bank to run songs off of - which is probably what you're looking for. But if you're looking for an idea-generating "let's make a new song" composition machine (does that make any sense) the Microsampler's great for that.

OK so im gonna end up buying the roland Boutique series (all of them)

But to start im caught in deciding if i should buy the JP-08 or the JU-06, what do you guys think? Ugh decisions decisions.


I've always preferred the sound of the Juno myself.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

do agree with you there, but the jupiter is way more versatile in my opinion.

i dunno, i think ill just go to the shop tomorrow and pick one on a whim. lol

Behringer are releasing a new 12 voice analog synth ! Everything about this synth screams Roland Juno. The layout, slider design, the characteristics, the sound... It's essentially a Juno on steroids ! It's weird that of all companies, Behringer would be the one to make it, while Roland is busy making toy digital versions of the Juno, when everybody is asking for them ro rerelease their old analog synths, like Korg has been doing with the MS-20 and ARP Odyssey.

Last Edit: Aug 20, 2016, 10:26 by Ben_j

Behringer DeepMind 12 with a Microsoft HoloLens

no idea, no idea

Bought this little guy today, and it's fucking awesome box of sounds!



Yeah, it have not so intuitive menu and some features, but there are so many work to do with it =)
Hi Kevin!

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.