Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

• Galvanizer
I'm curious: How do you, US forumers, think about today's events planned by the president (display of military machinery, speech, select audience etc.)? Has there been any controversial discussion among your friends, family etc. about that?

I was not happy. This was about a draft dodger coward with a fragile ego that wanted to rile his base by impersonating Russian and North Korean scare tactics, and then he excluded veterans in favor of rich supporters. And in the end when he looked like a fool, he still deflected and his base didn't question him. American patriotism already thrives on ignorance and dances with nationalism. It was not a good thing and it was the first calculated step to a very difficult 2020 election cycle. In full disclosure, I was never a huge fan of drunken Independence Day activities in the first place, but the last few years have been insufferable.

The stadium and the city were half full of americans, and even the train back to Paris was filled with people with USA caps and apparel. The support for their soccer team sure is strong!

I am very proud of them (and wish our men's team could similarly represent). It's great to hear our countrymen demonstrated a positive presence abroad.  And yet, overall at home there is a loud sentiment against the team here because they are women. And it is soccer. And they were outspoken against our buffoon leader and protested police brutality. It is a sad state here.

It's not the majority, but it's loud enough. For my family, my boy and I have been very excited about the team's accomplishments along the way. I will admit, I'm not big on in-game celebrations in any sports and think our team could have better represented us without some of arrogance. But it's hard to complain too loudly about the competitive shit-talking when I am supporting the domestic protests.

Also, I'm glad this community seems to appreciate the team. I rather thought we were more of a target than a favorite. Are the sentiments here common or varied in your countries?

• Galvanizer
Having a president of a democratic republic emulating dictators is disconcerting to say the least. 

Also, I'm really getting tired of listening to the same people who burnt effigies of,spouted racist garbage at, and believed any ridiculous nonsense about our first black president scream and cry about how criticism of their dear leader is unfair, unbiased, unpatriotic, and "fake news" (because facts are irrelevant). 

Social media makes me want to be like Bill Hicks and get on my knees and pray for an alien abduction or a nuclear holocaust.  Whichever. 

• The ChemBase Team
Happy birthday, USA (of which I just learned was actually two days ago).

I'm curious: How do you, US forumers, think about today's events planned by the president (display of military machinery, speech, select audience etc.)? Has there been any controversial discussion among your friends, family etc. about that?

I think he got the idea from the French national day military parade he attended one or two years ago. Here, it has always existed so I never found it strange or out of place to have a military parade. It's usually quite entertaining to watch, and never felt to me like a demonstration of power or anything like that. Plus it's all the military corps, so it includes firemen, gendarmes (a kind of local police force), some airplanes, that I can then see from my window... So yeah, I always enjoyed it

• Giant
  • ONE MAN WILL RISK EVERYTHING TO SAVE HIS FAMILY.
I think he got the idea from the French national day military parade he attended one or two years ago.
Was that around the time the brass band played Daft Punk tunes? Is it their fault?
DON'T. LOOK. DOWN.

• The ChemBase Team
Was that around the time the brass band played Daft Punk tunes? Is it their fault?
Yes it was that time

• Galvanizer
Here, it has always existed so I never found it strange or out of place to have a military parade

That's a very fair answer. It is not normal here and is part of a growing partisan division that is happening alongside targeted rallies and acceptance of nationalism. I can easily say I wouldn't have been a fan of it under Obama, either, but I appreciate your reminding us that it's not something that only takes place in dictatorships.

You must be logged in to post. Login or register!