Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Movies/Shows you're watching.

• Giant
  • trying
Regarding something I totally didn't expect to come across (and probably something nobody cares about)... I Just skimmed over the preview for Netflix's 'Jingle Jangle' Christmas movie, and the main theme song "This Day" sounds like a ripoff of "Loaded" or "I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have" by Primal Scream.

Here is the Choir version of the song (similarities take place at 1:00 mark)

For what it's worth there is two other versions of the "This Day" track in the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 07:18 by Bosco »  

• Giant
  • trying
We are in the midst of some strong winter weather here in the midwest, and I'm trying to add some watchable likeminded movies to consume while I unwind at night.

Here is some top films that come to mind which have snow/winter in them, which are not largely Christmas related:

Fargo
Empire Strikes Back
The Thing
The Hateful Eight
The Shining
Groundhog Day
Dumb & Dumber
Hanna
For Your Eyes Only
Cool Runnings

If you have any to suggest, I would gladly appreciate.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2021, 19:09 by Bosco »  

• Galvanizer
  • What it do?
I immediately thought Hanna, The Shining, and Fargo. Because, all I saw on your list was The Empire Strikes Back, and you don't need another movie after that. ;D

Then I instantly thought of The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, and Batman Returns, and then realized they are all Tim Burton films, which your list is missing.

And then I thought of Gremlins and Trading Places, and realized I am very much stuck in the last millennium.

Finally, I decided to suggest Frozen but thought I should let it go and instead remind people that Strange Brew was a thing. And since we're referencing Canada, it's always a good time to watch Super Troopers, snow or not.

• 2rbo Nutt37
  • The ChemBase Team
  • Reining in the bots that freed themselves
Ha, theme based movie watching, I love that!

Hm, let me think...

- The Revenant is heavily snow-related
- North Country with Charlize Theron has a little bit of it too
- A Most Violent Year
- The Mothman Prophecies
- the Swedish Millenium Trilogy and or Hollywood's one-off Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- A bunch of early Bond movies (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the Spy Who Love Me ...)

Ones that I haven't seen yet but sound interesting:
- the Snowman (thriller)
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (haven't seen that yet, but snow is literally in the title)
- the Grey with Liam Neeson
- Vertical Limit
- Grumpy Old Men
- Wind River
You wanna know my biggest disappointment for the live sets 2019? You wanna know? I tell you what my biggest disappointment is: I AM FUCKING NOT THERE!

• Burst Generator
  • ONE MAN WILL RISK EVERYTHING TO SAVE HIS FAMILY.
films that come to mind which have snow/winter in them, which are not largely Christmas related:

If you have any to suggest, I would gladly appreciate.

Insomnia (2002)
Wind River (2017)
Just look at those Rotten Tomatoes scores! I 💓 both
of these.

One that IS Christmas related that I watched on Christmas Day was Fatman, with Mel Gibson as Santa Clause. I kinda liked it.
[Anyone/Everyone watched Ricky Gervais giving Gibson a hard time at the Golden Globes? Worth a look on YouTube]

Ps I finished the Bond films.
I realised I had never watched:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Licence To Kill.

The former was quite good, despite the fact that Bond & Blofeld didn't recognise each other. They had met at the end of the previous film, You Only Live Twice. Is it because they were both played by different actors??
(Actually it's because they made the films in a different order to the books, and OMHSS stuck closely to the book)

Licence To Kill was the lowest grossing Bond film, I believe. And I can see why. It felt like an extended TV movie of Miami Vice. In a bad way.

I still think Octopussy was bad. A hot mess really. But agree with Enjoyed's comments on the Fabergé egg auction. As for the Tarzan noises and the "tennis crowd" reactions, the less said the better! Sir Rog was enjoying it though.

Also in my continued quest to link Bond visuals with Chems visuals, I wonder if Baron Samedi the witch doctor with the painted face in Live & Let Die may have influenced Acid Children/Angry Neighbour guy's look?

Gah! Csar has jumped in since I started typing (Wind River)

PS The Grey is good!
DON'T. LOOK. DOWN.

• Burst Generator
  • K+D+B is godlike
Licence To Kill was the lowest grossing Bond film, I believe. And I can see why. It felt like an extended TV movie of Miami Vice. In a bad way.
Where can i sign this? This movie is a phenomenon: Worst Bond movie with one of the best themes.

Ones that I haven't seen yet but sound interesting:
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (haven't seen that yet, but snow is literally in the title)
Do it!

I've recently watched Giri/Haji on Netflix. Totally worth a watch. First episode is not that interesting, but with episode 2 ongoing it is one of the best shows i have seen in a couple of years.

Another show i can recommend - from the three episodes i have seen so far - is Undercover. A Belgian/Dutch series, also on Netflix.
no idea, no idea

• Galvanizer
Other good winter movies...

Better Off Dead
Ski School
Alive

• Giant
  • trying
Awesome suggestions, guys. I've seen most of the ones you've all listed and I confirm they are all quality films. But there is a few I definitely have been meaning to catch (Strange Brew, Insomnia) that I'll eventually get to!

I would really like to rewatch The Mothman Prophecies. I remember renting that when it was first available, and really being creeped out. Overall, I think I liked it. As a side note, I've noticed this film has gotten a bad rap. I'm curious how I'll view it with a more mature take.

North Country is definitely worth a watch. Certainly not something you wanna take in if you're fatigued by the the current state of social injustice. Whether you like the movie or not it's supported by a great cast.

Ski School looks familiar and I see it has the eyebrow guy from Summer School. Looks like it has a lot T&A, so I'm sure I caught this on free preview from our cable company of Showtime or Cinemax, back in the day.

Agree Wind River was great. Go watch.

And finally, The Revenant is probably the ultimate cold weather movie, yet, I find this movie the hardest to recommend. First class cinematography, and pretty awesome performance by Tom Hardy. And that's about it. I don't hate Leonardo DiCaprio, but I think he was a total miscast for this film. No denying the audacity it took for his role.

• Freak Of The Week
  • Insomnia...
surprised no mention of the Revenant yet
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

• Giant
  • trying
surprised no mention of the Revenant yet

Sir,

The Revenant

- The Revenant is heavily snow-related

• Burst Generator
  • K+D+B is godlike
and suddenly i remembered seeing this norwegian documentary including snow. and chainsaws.

oh, and talking about snow...

no idea, no idea

• Giant
  • trying

I think that was mostly the case for all the old timey Christmas movies, too (White Christmas). Potato flakes became the substitute. So instead of giving you lung cancer they would dry the ever-loving fuck out of you with starch.

Thin Ice

If you're a fan of Alan Arkin (and when's the last time we've seen Greg Kinnear?), you'll find this little Comedy/Crime story amusing. I haven't seen it for quite a while, but from what I remember it captures winter in Wisconsin pretty well. Kind of a Fargo knockoff, without the try-hard accents.

Trailer:

You must be logged in to post. Login or register!